Prius C...

OffshoreDrilling

This is my safe space
TCG Sponsor
TCG Premium
HVAC Guy
Aug 28, 2007
Homer Glen
I've been seeing a lot of these around at work lately, and actually took the time to look one up online. There are teslas, all variety of prii, and a half dozen volts roaming around on campus. I had no idea they were so damn cheap. For shits and giggles I emailed a bunch of dealers with CarWoo! to see what kind of deals can be had. I think I need to get myself back into a practical car once this boat season is over.

Seriously considering test driving one.

Ear Rak

Underemployed
Nov 11, 2005
Fort Worth, TX
They feel so cheap though.

If i was forced at gun point to pick one of the three prius', id choose the original. They drive that much nicer and they finally offer wheels/body moldings that reduce the level of gayness by roughly .05%

That said, the new avalon hybrids are pretty sweet. Yea, i said it. Awesome interior, decent looks and you dont feel like youre in a hybrid.

OffshoreDrilling

This is my safe space
TCG Sponsor
TCG Premium
HVAC Guy
Aug 28, 2007
Homer Glen
They feel so cheap though.

If i was forced at gun point to pick one of the three prius', id choose the original. They drive that much nicer and they finally offer wheels/body moldings that reduce the level of gayness by roughly .05%

That said, the new avalon hybrids are pretty sweet. Yea, i said it. Awesome interior, decent looks and you dont feel like youre in a hybrid.

it's a cheap car, meant to get good gas mileage. I wouldn't expect it to be super refined. it does what it does, well. as far as I've read so far.

the Avalon is 35,555 msrp new. why spend 35k on a car to worry about saving money on gas? I'd argue that someone who can afford to spend that kind of money on a car, doesn't realistically need to be too concerned about getting 40+mpg.

Zack

4 Doors 4 Life
Mar 21, 2004
NW Indiana
3s4ytw

torquelover

TCG Elite Member
Jun 4, 2013
I went through this with a family member. A base Prius is a lot bigger, gets better real world gas mileage, and is not too much more.

If you compare a base Focus or Civic, and price it against a hybrid, the savings in fuel won't offset the increased purchase price for many miles/years.

02BlueGT

No Fucks Have Been Given
Feb 21, 2008
Now apearing in Hanover Park
I went through this with a family member. A base Prius is a lot bigger, gets better real world gas mileage, and is not too much more.

If you compare a base Focus or Civic, and price it against a hybrid, the savings in fuel won't offset the increased purchase price for many miles/years.

Exactly, top gear did a few segments on it and so did car and driver, hybrids are $5k ish morr than the equivalent gas only car. Even if the gas car gets 30 MPG and the hybrid 50 MPG, it takes 9+ years to break even on the $5k.

Fuck Hybrids, they are an over complicated way to get the same gas mileage you can get from a diesel. For more money and more parts to break, oh and less power/refinement.
_
Get a diesel VW if you want good mpgs and a nice interior.

Burtonrider10022

TCG Elite Member
Feb 25, 2008
Milwaukee, WI
Real Name
Yes
Exactly, top gear did a few segments on it and so did car and driver, hybrids are $5k ish morr than the equivalent gas only car. Even if the gas car gets 30 MPG and the hybrid 50 MPG, it takes 9+ years to break even on the $5k.

Fuck Hybrids, they are an over complicated way to get the same gas mileage you can get from a diesel. For more money and more parts to break, oh and less power/refinement.
_
Get a diesel VW if you want good mpgs and a nice interior.

Top portion: Sounds exactly like the logic [MENTION=19]Kay Jay[/MENTION] used referring to the gas vs. diesel 1 ton trucks.

Second portion: Exactly. The "real world" mileage people are reporting in the VW Jetta TDi is very impressive. Most drivers are averaging 40 MPG mixed! (Source)

Bru

Staff member
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
The pricing point is moot if we are looking at used, like these guys may be. A used Prius c is about $17-19k. If that's someone's budget, then they can spend that money on a car with combined 50 mpg rating like the c, or something less efficient like a Cruze or TDI Golf with combined averages in the mid to low 30s. Plus TDI cars are expensive. The few days I spent in a c saw real world mileage in line with its ratings. You're not going to buy the c because it's pleasant to drive, smooth or quiet. It's a cheap hybrid with great gas mileage and flawless reliability.

Burtonrider10022

TCG Elite Member
Feb 25, 2008
Milwaukee, WI
Real Name
Yes
Do the TDi motors have issues?

Comparing a moderately equipped mid-size sedan to a Cruze is kinda silly... But as for the Prius C vs. TDi I'll admit I only spent about 1 minute on Google, but the articles I saw had the Prius C priced at like $19k and the VW at $21k. Yes, it's still more, but it's a much nicer car from what I've seen/heard.

EDIT: Holy crap, I didn't realize just how good the Prius C was getting for mileage. "Real world" according to Fuelly is just over 50MPG mixed. http://www.fuelly.com/car/toyota/prius c

OffshoreDrilling

This is my safe space
TCG Sponsor
TCG Premium
HVAC Guy
Aug 28, 2007
Homer Glen
TDI motors are fine, it's the rest of the car you'd have to worry about.

yeah, cost of repairs out of warranty is what would worry me more than anything. Id rather have a piece of GM Tupperware in that case if we are talking diesel vs diesel.

Brand new 13' cruze Eco on cars.com for $14,899!? it's in New York though

torquelover

TCG Elite Member
Jun 4, 2013
Stepdad had a Jetta TDI as his daily for a while, drove from MI to Chicago every day. As said before, the rest of the car was crap, didn't bother him too much. It was the $$$$ fuel injector pump that he paid to have replaced twice that made him decide to sell it. It sold quickly, however.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info