Mr. Manager
Staff member
Admin
May 23, 2007
Elgin
Real Name
Mike
Lettuce discuss.

http://www.motortrend.com/features/performance/1311_2013_motor_trend_best_drivers_car/

12th Place: SRT Viper
11th Place: Ford Focus ST
10th Place: BMW M6
9th: Bentley Continental GT Speed Le Mans Edition
8th Place: Aston Martin Vanquish
7th Place: Mercedes-Benz E63 AMG S Model
6th Place: Nissan GT-R Track Edition
5th Place: Porsche Cayman S
4th Place: Jaguar F-Type V-8 S
3rd Place: Audi R8 V10+
2nd Place: Mercedes-Benz SLS AMG Black Series
1st Place: Porsche 911 Carrera 4S

Mook

Mr. Manager
Staff member
Admin
May 23, 2007
Elgin
Real Name
Mike
You have two questions: Why didn't we test the Viper T/A, and why is the Laguna Seca lap record-holder in last place? The first is easy to answer. We asked SRT for the Viper T/A, and the guys decided to send us the base SRT Viper with the Track Package instead. Why? We haven't gotten a straight answer from the SRT people, so we can't say. The second question can be answered mostly with one word: quality. This Viper had a number of mechanical issues that sank it in voting. Key among these was a serious brake problem. During figure-eight testing, one of the motors that moves the adjustable pedals broke off under braking and jammed the brake pedal to the floor. Thankfully, the figure-eight course is a controlled environment, but had this happened during road testing or lapping at Laguna Seca, the results could've been bad. Couple that with the fact that two of the four bolts holding the driver's seat to the car were not even finger-tight, and we had a serious safety issue.

There were other problems, too. One of the hood vents flew off on the freeway and caromed off the windshield. There was a persistent rattle in the right side of the cabin that was never identified. The Performance Apps froze the infotainment system. The paint on the edges of the rocker panels was being burned by the exhaust. Finally, the Viper arrived mounted with standard Pirelli P Zeros on the front and P Zero Corsas on the rear. Set aside these issues, and the story is marginally better: Judges had originally placed the Viper in eighth. Many complained about an uncomfortable driving position and narrow footwell with closely spaced pedals that were easy to misapply. The shifter drew ire for needing a very strong shove to get into the next ratio, and the word "earplugs" appeared in many judges' notes. Far and away the Viper's biggest fault, though, was how it communicated with the driver. While the nose was always stapled to the pavement, the rear end liked to do all sorts of funny dances when you lifted off the throttle and went to the brakes. That's disconcerting in a 640-horsepower car, to say the least, but what makes it truly frustrating is the car is lying to you. The back end isn't going anywhere. It's glued down nearly as well as the nose is, but the car is telling you it's about to come loose and fling you off the road. You have to constantly remind yourself the car will stick, and ignore what every sense is telling you.

There were other problems, too. One of the hood vents flew off on the freeway and caromed off the windshield. There was a persistent rattle in the right side of the cabin that was never identified. The Performance Apps froze the infotainment system. The paint on the edges of the rocker panels was being burned by the exhaust. Finally, the Viper arrived mounted with standard Pirelli P Zeros on the front and P Zero Corsas on the rear.

Set aside these issues, and the story is marginally better: Judges had originally placed the Viper in eighth. Many complained about an uncomfortable driving position and narrow footwell with closely spaced pedals that were easy to misapply. The shifter drew ire for needing a very strong shove to get into the next ratio, and the word "earplugs" appeared in many judges' notes.

Far and away the Viper's biggest fault, though, was how it communicated with the driver. While the nose was always stapled to the pavement, the rear end liked to do all sorts of funny dances when you lifted off the throttle and went to the brakes. That's disconcerting in a 640-horsepower car, to say the least, but what makes it truly frustrating is the car is lying to you. The back end isn't going anywhere. It's glued down nearly as well as the nose is, but the car is telling you it's about to come loose and fling you off the road. You have to constantly remind yourself the car will stick, and ignore what every sense is telling you.

"That Viper generates a lot of g's," says Randy Pobst. "In every direction. It accelerates hard. It stops hard. It corners hard. And most of the things it does are quite sudden, and it is a full-attention car to drive. You have to be on the ball, on top of that car all the time."
At 1:36.43, this Viper was the slowest we've ever tested at Laguna Seca, partly because SRT sent a worn-out set of P Zero Corsas for lapping and partly because it rattled Randy by getting loose at the crest of Turn 1 at nearly 140 mph. "I broke a sweat driving fast in the car today," he said. Some people think it's manly to wrestle a car around a corner, but to quote editor-at-large Angus MacKenzie, "I've never met a race car driver who wanted to fight a car around the track."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ZpJSgHoi4o

Bru

Staff member
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Motor Trend said:
Let's get one thing out of the way: We wanted the C7 Corvette Stingray to be here. We begged Chevrolet, but a last-minute delay in the start of production meant there was no car available in time for our test, and rescheduling 11 other cars and one of the world's most famous racetracks just wasn't possible. The Corvette will be invited again next year.

Wow, that particular Viper sounds like a huge pile. Usually those cars are given a good once-over before heading to magazines. Would be a shame if that's an example of what customers are driving.

SRT41320

TCG Elite Member
TCG Sponsor
Jun 11, 2007
Lake in the Hills - IL
sounds like they got a viper from the SRT spare parts division :rofl: I cant see that's how they all are - they maybe got a pre production "press" car - something SRT gives all the press people to beat on for track days? - Chrysler has really stepped up their game with quality IMO - a lot of people agree - I wonder what the real story behind this is...

RICH17

Dr. Pussy Slayer, MD
TCG Premium
Nov 14, 2008
The 007
Real Name
Adam Rich
Honestly it sounds like they gave MT the Viper that has been beat to hell by everyone already. Sucks since this was its downfall. I'd still take it over the rest of them. But thats my personal preference.

And I am surprised this list wasnt compiled by Car and Driver since they swing off zee germans more than any other mag

Turk

Lt. Ron "Slider" Kerner
TCG Premium
Jan 21, 2008
Set aside these issues, and the story is marginally better: Judges had originally placed the Viper in eighth. Many complained about an uncomfortable driving position and narrow footwell with closely spaced pedals that were easy to misapply. The shifter drew ire for needing a very strong shove to get into the next ratio, and the word "earplugs" appeared in many judges' notes.

RICH17

Dr. Pussy Slayer, MD
TCG Premium
Nov 14, 2008
The 007
Real Name
Adam Rich

This has been the complaint of many since 1994... Its just the way the car is.

Turk

Lt. Ron "Slider" Kerner
TCG Premium
Jan 21, 2008
Believe me, I want to love the Viper. It looks sexy, and it had big shoes to fill. The ACR was an absolute monster so I was expecting a lot out of this car. To see it lose to the ZR1 at many tracks is very disappointing. Then I go on cars.com and see the average one listed for 145k. No thanks.

RICH17

Dr. Pussy Slayer, MD
TCG Premium
Nov 14, 2008
The 007
Real Name
Adam Rich
I understand its a nutswingers car. But IMO every car on that list is. People love cars for different reasons. And people hate cars for different reasons. The Viper is a superior car in its own right. Just as the 911, R8, and the others on the list are. We're also reading an article that has numerous judges/writers that have different tastes in cars.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info