auto or manual
used with a warranty or certified would be preferred
fun to drive (relatively)
comfy for long drives
Decent sound system stock (no base civic) usb/ipod hookup
navigation not required
no interior preference
keep miles used to a minimum, no 100k bmw to start

Basically this is going to be something I might go 5 miles in a day or 150 miles in a day

Started a new job last week that will require a decent amount of travel both around the chicagoland area but also out of town (get a rental)... key is I will be getting paid mileage, so if I can maximize my mpg that would be huge and basically put that money back towards the car.

Right now in a v8 TA that might get 20/22mpg on a strictly highway trip. Going around the city and sitting in traffic would really hurt that too.

Current ideas- order of what I feel are legit possibilities

1. Chevy Cruze ECO or LT with the 1.4t
2. Any newer TDI, passat/golf/jetta
3. Scion FR-S (maybe get one at 20k soon used)
4. Lexus CT-200h

5. BMW 335d - :fu: out of price range but would be easily #1

The Broken Regal

BITE BITE, SIP SIP
TCG Premium
Jun 26, 2007
Wheaton
Hyundai Accent 6spd manual. I know its gay to say that but for a DD i don't mind it. Highway see's upper 30's to low 40's

Ironically enough I am getting an accent rental for a week in Indy next week so I will get to test out your suggestion.

I forgot about the hyundais, and I know bru will be upset...

I would prefer the elantra for the added size, but we'll see!

The Broken Regal

BITE BITE, SIP SIP
TCG Premium
Jun 26, 2007
Wheaton
I can't believe I'm saying this but what about a Volt? Decently torquey, nice interior, can get them with a good sound system, low 20's used, etc.

Great suggestion!... my only stipulation/negative that really only applies to the volt is that I just moved into an apartment and parking in a remote-ish lot instead of a garage, I don't know where I would be able to set up the charging station :pat:

Edit- Damn you weren't kidding Mike, low 20s used wow

Bru

Staff member
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
I'd say you have a good start.

While it was an abomination of an Si, the 2012 Civic Si is comfy for longer drives and has the new 2.4-liter with a ton of mid-range torque that's fun to drive. They re-did the suspension for 2013 along with a ton of other stuff so the 2012s are dirt cheap. Much nicer than the base civic and the manual is amazing.

We've talked about the FR-S/BRZ, but hell it gets old after a week in the car with the suspension and noise.

What about a V-6 Mustang? 2011+ with manual and performance package is decently fun and mpg is 30 on the highway. Definitely look for one with the upgraded axle ratio.

Or you could wait for the Fiesta ST. Haven't driven it yet but the Focus ST doesn't disappoint and the Fiesta is already a decently fun car to drive with good stereo and comfy ride. Looks like you won't have to wait long. They should be arriving at dealerships soon.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info