New Ride review with a couple of pics! (E90 335i)

cacicgtp7

Some Military Dude
Nov 9, 2008
Boston, MA
Real Name
John
As some of you know, last weekend I made the trek all the way to Tampa to buy this car from a guy off the E90post boards. It seems like lately I only buy cars at a mininum of 15 hours away from where I reside.

Anyway, picked up this prestine 2008 E90 335i, which had 33,xxx on the ODO and was in immaculate shape. Previous owner had already done some tasteful mods including the VMR710 19" rims, M-sport front/rear bumper and skirting, aftermarket trunk, LUX angel eyes, tint, shadowline taillights, BMW performance exhaust, and a Dinan Stage II tune on it. Came pretty much fully loaded with also the sport package.

Probably also some other stuff I'm missing, but all I can say is after driving it 1300 miles back to TX... WOW. Absolutely love this thing. Thank God it has an extended warranty because all I hear is horor stories of turbo's blowing and high pressure fuel pumps/injector problems, ect... but for right now it drives perfectly. Corners/handling is incredible, and as it sits it's probably good for high 12's in the quarter. Somehow at 82 mph I was average 29.2 mpg as well which is insane to me.

This is my first foreign car after 5 Pontiacs, so we'll see how it goes but the fit and finish of everything is pretty impressive, especially for a 5 year old car. The interior is a little "colder" per say than Lexus or Audi, but the materials seem to all be high quality. Seats are some of the best I've ever sat in, and the support is great. I would compare them to the Volvo S60R seats I've sat in before, they just work. There is a little bit of lag on the turbo's it seems like to spool up but once they kick in you start moving out pretty quick. For sure a lot more road noise than our Lincoln but that's to be expected. Anway on to the pictures! Oh and paging [MENTION=396]Mike K[/MENTION], can we be friends?

946362_10101333728100160_1131490444_n_zpsf6de02ac.jpg

970680_10101333728180000_1365280165_n_zpsb173008e.jpg

1011619_10101333728264830_1187568896_n_zps76d8a7da.jpg

Mike K

TCG Elite Member
Apr 11, 2008
Bad ass. The 4 doors aren't my cup of tea but that's one I'd own. They did it nice and tastefully.

Don't buy into all the hype about the turbos and the fuel pumps. The turbos don't blow; the wastegates just rattle and the fuel pumps have been updated for a few years to the point that you don't ever hear about them failing any more. Even if you didn't have that warranty your fuel pump is covered until 125,000 miles and your turbos until 83,000 miles.

All that said, JB4, intake and an e85 mixture is going to be the best $600 you ever spend. That is literally all I had on my car when it put down 375 on a Mustang dyno. Others put down 400whp on dynojets with the same setup. Since you have an e90 the bigger intercooler and downpipes are inexpensive too. That 300hp gets old quick. Tune it.

I've had some issues with mine bogging but in fairness it's been something I've been dragging my feet on fixing and I'm told it's a really simple fix. So if you read about my issues ignore them. 98% of people don't ever have any problems and those that do run into stupid stuff like me where the engine bogs down, nothing major like blowing an engine, at least not that I've seen.

cacicgtp7

Some Military Dude
Nov 9, 2008
Boston, MA
Real Name
John
Thanks all for the comments! I'm pretty pumped about it, only thing I'm going to do at this point (since a lot of stuff has already been done) is I have a full LED interior light mod kit coming in soon and am changing out all the bulbs in the car. Then a 4300K HID fog kit to match the low's and the angel eyes since I'm not a fan of the mixed light look.

Besides that just needs maybe some new rear rubber in the next 6 months.

Bad ass. The 4 doors aren't my cup of tea but that's one I'd own. They did it nice and tastefully.

Don't buy into all the hype about the turbos and the fuel pumps. The turbos don't blow; the wastegates just rattle and the fuel pumps have been updated for a few years to the point that you don't ever hear about them failing any more. Even if you didn't have that warranty your fuel pump is covered until 125,000 miles and your turbos until 83,000 miles.

All that said, JB4, intake and an e85 mixture is going to be the best $600 you ever spend. That is literally all I had on my car when it put down 375 on a Mustang dyno. Others put down 400whp on dynojets with the same setup. Since you have an e90 the bigger intercooler and downpipes are inexpensive too. That 300hp gets old quick. Tune it.

I've had some issues with mine bogging but in fairness it's been something I've been dragging my feet on fixing and I'm told it's a really simple fix. So if you read about my issues ignore them. 98% of people don't ever have any problems and those that do run into stupid stuff like me where the engine bogs down, nothing major like blowing an engine, at least not that I've seen.

It's already got the Dinan stage 2 tune on it, he had it done by a BMW dealer in Florida back when they had the affiliation with Dinan. So I'm not going to mess further with it. With the exhaust on it and the tune, it's faster than anything I've had previously. Downpipes might be a future idea though.

Yeah saw the BMW notice on the extended OEM warranty on the HPFP and turbo's b/c of wastegate stuff so that's nice piece of mind. He had all 6 injectors replaced at 21,000 miles (which is crazy) so hopefully no big problems from here on out. Not planning on tracking the car or anything hard core as it's going to be my DD. Glad you like it!

cacicgtp7

Some Military Dude
Nov 9, 2008
Boston, MA
Real Name
John
I dig that CSL-type decklid. Sexy car, congrats!

Thanks, I think it's a Vorsteiner trunk

Never had an issue with my 335i. Would own another one thats for sure. Best run was 12.3@113mph in a 4 door sedan on runflats.

What did you have on it?

I wanna see this 335 race your isf, make it happen. :bigthumb:

Pretty sure the ISF would win, might be close in the quarter but the ISF out traps it for sure. I'd need more mods than a tune/intake/catback. Bench racing I think the way my car sits it'd be around 12.8-12.9 @ high 100's maybe?

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info