More stuff that grinds my gears. re: climate control

Mike K

TCG Elite Member
Apr 11, 2008
I don't get it. I used to think crappy climate control systems were isolated to specific cars but I'm pretty sure every single car I've had has had some sort of glaring omission in it's climate control setup.

If I get in the car and punch in 71 degrees that means I want the car to be 71 degrees. I should be able to leave that setting at 71 all the time and the climate control's main goal should be to ensure that the cabin temperature is 71 degrees. Alas, this is apparently not possible. If it's slightly warmer than my desired temperature outside and I set the climate control to 71 it chills the cabin so cold I could hang a side of beef in the back without concern of it spoiling. If it's slightly colder than my desired temperature outside and I set it to 71 it will heat the cabin until I'm dripping in sweat. Is there some magical science of degrees that I'm not privy to where 71 degrees on a chilly day is the Sahara desert and on a warmer day it's the inside meat fridge? It's temperature. It's a number. This is not subjective. How do you fuck this up? It seems like you'd actually have to go out of your way NOT to make it work properly. I put in 72 and your system adjusts the temp and fans until that temperature is achieved.

And the Infiniti isn't the only car to do this. My A8 did it too as did the Q45. What in the fucking fuck is so hard about commanding a temperature and maintaining that temperature? Why do so many manufacturers screw this up?

On we go... If you're going to put a dual zone climate control in a car make it so I don't have to adjust the temperature TWICE every time I want to make a change. With the BMW I need to move my knob and then reach over a move the passenger side knob to match. With the Infiniti I have to press the button down or up how many ever degrees change I want and then rinse and repeat on the other side. Oh what's that? You want to change the temperature 1 degree? Sure, twist both these knobs exactly the same amount, crank this handle and say a short prayer.

The Audi had a neat feature. Push and hold the driver's side temperature knob and it locks the passenger side temperature to the driver's side until the passenger changes it. Yay for Audi.

Lastly, dual climate control is such bullshit anyhow. It sucked back in 1991 when the S class was the only car you saw with it and it sucks now too. I don't think I've ever sat in a car where I had my side at one temperature and my wife had hers at another and we were both like "Well fuck, that's exactly the temperature I wanted!". No, that's fantasy. It doesn't happen. A fully functional dual climate control system is a unicorn.

Good night.

Sprayin

Public Enemy #1
TCG Premium
Oct 8, 2008
Grand Rapids, MI
My bros Caddy was auto set to driver only temperature unless the passenger input a desired temperature. I honestly don't understand or like climate control. I prefer the knob that spins from blue to red. I prefer 4-8 fan settings, an A/C button, a recirculate air button, and an adjustment for where the fan blows. I hate the systems that do the whole "auto" thing with the vents, temperature, and fan speed.

Fish

From the quiet street
TCG Premium
Aug 3, 2007
Hanover Park
Real Name
Fish
My bros Caddy was auto set to driver only temperature unless the passenger input a desired temperature. I honestly don't understand or like climate control. I prefer the knob that spins from blue to red. I prefer 4-8 fan settings, an A/C button, a recirculate air button, and an adjustment for where the fan blows. I hate the systems that do the whole "auto" thing with the vents, temperature, and fan speed.

Ill take spinney knobs over auto climate anyday.

Turbocharged400sbc

3800 & 4T80E > ALL
TCG Premium
Jun 16, 2007
hangover park IL
in actuality the problem you're seeing is disparities in temperature in the cabin
the system references the return temperature aka the fans suction temperature this means that what you feel is not exactly what your feet are feeling....warm up top cool down low.
most systems are set up that when you enter manual mode it references the discharge temperature which means then outputs 71 f****** degrees when you set it to 71 f****** degrees.
in auto it is looking at discharge temp and inlet temp so if you want it it's 71 degrees it'll be 71 degrees at your head and your feet it'll be 60 feet so then it turns on the heat instead of keeping it cool like you want
quit being a yuppie and set it to manual and make yourself f****** happy.

I'll take my payment in a belt wrap set up for the 442s rear motor

Turbocharged400sbc

3800 & 4T80E > ALL
TCG Premium
Jun 16, 2007
hangover park IL
also Mike don't forget that since the body control module controls all primary electrical functions that the BCM & H vac computers know when you open your windows and most systems will then factor in the outside temperature more.

Cliffs: fuck paying more for a car to have overengineered hvac when two levers and a knob have worked fine for decades....and cost like 3 bux

torquelover

TCG Elite Member
Jun 4, 2013
Last couple cars could do single temp both sides. Wife's Honda Odyssey, Buick Rendezvous, and Chrysler Town and Country all had dual zone and worked well. She was always cold, I was always hot. Her new Mazda does well, too. My old Mark VIII was terrible, as was a friend's Jeep Grand Cherokee. You win some, you lose some I guess.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info