1995 Mecury Marquis Charging Gremiln-Help

txrob779

The Noob Messiah
Aug 12, 2013
Ft Worth Texas
Howdy Good Strongs,

I apologise for blowing up yur board here but you fellas seem to have a great community of Jedi gear heads so...

I have been chasing this charging system gremlin in my 95' Marquis....The alternator supposedly check out ok. I cleaned up and prepped the alternators mount on the 4.6L. Refinished as many grounds as I could find. New battery.

The ammeter was fluctuating before I did the above stuff. It helped the voltage stay steady...(I dont have a multi meter yet so I am red necking it here) until I put the car in gear and it drops a bunch...with the A/C on at idle in PARK the voltage stays steady on the gauge anyway, just above 1/2 way to H. (I know this is shade tree sh*t and I apologize). When driving the voltage seems stable but drops when I roll to a stop...and idle....anytime the car is in gear it's low according to the gauge anyway.

I have red necked a quick disconnect to the NEG side to thwart a possible drain stituation from happening. A mechanic friend said something about a triangle ground loop needing to be checked for all possible corroded connections. I have serviced as many as I can find as I said above.

I hope this makes sense.

I am thinking the knothead @ Autozone didn't check my 18yr old alternator well.

txrob779

The Noob Messiah
Aug 12, 2013
Ft Worth Texas
Suggestions?

I mean I have been all over the charging system....sans any Maxi fuses and the fusable link...(I dont even really know where or what that is..but my understanding is it either is good or it's bad....right?)and it is an 18 year old original alternator.

Refinished the mounts, new battery, new new this and new that...re did all the grounds sans the on that appears to be on the back of the passenger side cylinder head...the one that has a steel strap ground to the firewall...

txrob779

The Noob Messiah
Aug 12, 2013
Ft Worth Texas
You know since I added some ignition and some killer exhaust it resurrected this power train DE LUX.....Can you fellas link me to some ideas on how to make more effecient power with bolt on stuff....like

better ignition....maybe a throttle body change or spacer....more air, COLD air....a chip maybe.

Try to stay away from headers until I break the motor....I like the drivabilty and UMPH....not interested in a drag car persay but a real country town Mustang Eater w/o looking red neck.....comprende?

RICH17

Dr. Pussy Slayer, MD
TCG Premium
Nov 14, 2008
The 007
Real Name
Adam Rich
the "Big Three" upgrade means improving the current capacity of three cables: 1) alternator positive to battery positive, 2) battery negative to chassis, and 3) engine ground to chassis. Some people replace the factory wiring; others add additional cables to the factory wiring.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info