"By Owner" Dealers on CL

EmersonHart13

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jul 18, 2007
Do these "By Owner" Dealers on CL annoy anyone else? They have multiple listings, when you call them they all sound shady as fuck, and the prices are always super low. So far I have run across two SUVs in my search that the mileage hasn't matched up on, and I mean WAY off.

And don't get my started on the shitty listings... One photo, no mileage and must buy does not make me want to buy. My favorite are the sellers that don't even call or email back.

I think this is why people just go buy new cars. :hsughlol:

1quick

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jan 29, 2008
coal city
I've been trying to buy a blown up w body for about a month hardly anybody ever calls me back, everybody wants a premium for these blown up cars wtf are people thinking, I look at some of the prices and think I'd have a hard time selling it for that after a put a new motor in it lol

mr.gto

Deleted New Name
Jul 27, 2009
I am guessing they buy these things at auction and either wash the titles are change the clusters or something. I don't know how they are doing it.

* all speculation

A lot of times you can change mileage on these new laptop based scan tools. Seen it a lot in college when we would be allowed to play with them, just that portion was locked on it

EmersonHart13

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jul 18, 2007
Cherokees which are on my list have mechanical and it makes me wonder if you can actually roll those back. I actually felt better about the digital but know it doesn't matter.

I Google their phone numbers and if I see other past listings I usually just move on to the next now.

mr.gto

Deleted New Name
Jul 27, 2009
Cherokees which are on my list have mechanical and it makes me wonder if you can actually roll those back. I actually felt better about the digital but know it doesn't matter.

I Google their phone numbers and if I see other past listings I usually just move on to the next now.

Auto trader for old vehicles?? I dunno never tried it for anything non sporty lol

EmersonHart13

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jul 18, 2007
Just looked at a 4runner. So many red flags. Title was in someone else's name ("a family member") and already signed.... And it was supposedly re-titled in May and he bought it from a family member.

Auto check said 2006 it had 137k, now has 149.

I did some other digging and found that the VIN says the car should be beige, but instead it is Anthracite.

According to VIN it should be an SR5 but truck had limited badges and interior.

3 strikes you are out, oh wait that is four. Truck seemed good though, too good...

Flyn

Go ahead. I'll catch up.
TCG Premium
Mar 1, 2004
Selling homes on the Gulf Coast of Florida
Just looked at a 4runner. So many red flags. Title was in someone else's name ("a family member") and already signed.... And it was supposedly re-titled in May and he bought it from a family member.

Auto check said 2006 it had 137k, now has 149.

I did some other digging and found that the VIN says the car should be beige, but instead it is Anthracite.

According to VIN it should be an SR5 but truck had limited badges and interior.

3 strikes you are out, oh wait that is four. Truck seemed good though, too good...

LOL! I went with the one strike and out method. After the first couple cars I called on, I learned that if the seller would lie about one thing, they were probably lying about more than one.

Bob Kazamakis

I’m the f-ing lizard king
TCG Premium
Oct 24, 2007
Denver
Real Name
JK
Too bad flagging on CL doesn't seem to do shit half the time. When I was looking for an SUV I'd flag the same fucking ad's daily and they'd be there daily. Usually I'd just flag the ones with like 32 listings for the same vehicle or the clear dealers posting in the by owners section.

Your car search is frustrating me as well John :rofl:

Flyn

Go ahead. I'll catch up.
TCG Premium
Mar 1, 2004
Selling homes on the Gulf Coast of Florida
Only takes a couple seconds to flag and made me feel better, if nothing else. Plus flagging causes the guy to relist his ad. 2 seconds for me, two minutes for him.

I picture all these used car dealers sitting in their dingy micro offices swearing every time they have to repost. Even if they copy/paste, it's still extra work for them.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info