School Me: The lazy man's way to having a shiny car???

rocket5979

Gearhead
Nov 15, 2005
Round Lake, IL
***Think of this as a self-intervention.....*** I have something to admit to you guys and gals in here. It is something that I am not proud of as a car guy. But here goes.... I don't know a fucking thing about getting my car all waxed up and looking shiny with no swirl marks in the paint and all that. This is due to two reasons.

1) I am a huge powertrain guy. If it is building for major power then I am your guy; especially if it has to do with forced induction...my focus has always been on that.

2) I fucking HATE bodywork type shit, and I always grouped waxing my car in with that. Its fun to build a turbo system from scratch, not so much to wax a car.

Basically put, I am fucking lazy as shit when it comes to maintaining my car's paint job, but would like to learn a slightly less lazy way of doing it. I will be honest with ya. I am never going to be one of those guys dedicating a few hours a week to polishing his car up; but if I could get some pointers from the fine people of TCG about how I can make my car appear as if I spent any real time on polishing the paint job, without having really done so, then that would be great! So, what's the down and dirty! :dunno:

ktraver97ss

I say what everyone thinks
Aug 29, 2007
Roselle, IL
What's a typical detail go for? What's a really non-typical I got a really fucked up problem detail go for. Some really messed up paint showing after pulling off the bodykit. :snooppalm:

Typically $200-300 depending on condition and vehicle size, but if extensive buffing is needed it could be $300-350. If they body kit rubbed through the paint too much it could be beyond paint correction and need to be re-painted. Whats the vehicle?

Intel

TCG Elite Member
Oct 28, 2009
Palatine
Once you learn to wash your car without scratching it up then you are set. Once it is clean and proper I use collinite 845 on all of my daily drivers and it lasts for a long time. Maybe wax once a year.

All I do for my daily driver is wash with optimum no rinse and wax once a year with collinite and so far no real swirls after 2 years of owning her. ONR is great for me as I can wash it right on the street in chicago in like 20-30 minutes.

Collinite Liquid Insulator Wax No. 845

Wild White Pony

TCG Elite Member
Oct 13, 2012
Typically $200-300 depending on condition and vehicle size, but if extensive buffing is needed it could be $300-350. If they body kit rubbed through the paint too much it could be beyond paint correction and need to be re-painted. Whats the vehicle?

Mustang, but I'll have to have you look at it, it may be like you said beyond help. PM me your hours that your open and I'll stop by for you to have a look.

Flyn

Go ahead. I'll catch up.
TCG Premium
Mar 1, 2004
Selling homes on the Gulf Coast of Florida
!. Wash car with a strong soap like dishwashing liquid.
2. Clay bar.
3. Apply 3M Hand Glaze. Buff.
4. Apply a polymer protectant. Buff. I use Blackfire Wet Diamond.
5. Wax using a Carnauba product. buff. I use Blackfire Midnight Sun.

This will take you half a day but you only have to do it once or twice a year.

Shocker

ShockerRacing.com
Feb 21, 2008
Aurora, IL
!. Wash car with a strong soap like dishwashing liquid.
2. Clay bar.
3. Apply 3M Hand Glaze. Buff.
4. Apply a polymer protectant. Buff. I use Blackfire Wet Diamond.
5. Wax using a Carnauba product. buff. I use Blackfire Midnight Sun.

This will take you half a day but you only have to do it once or twice a year.

You didn't read the lazy part did you??

I'm in the same with "exterior care" when I got the car didn't really know about stuff.. and by the time I did, car was what it was.

I'm going to order the wash and shine now!

ldyzluvdis06

Supercharged C5
Sep 30, 2008
Jacksonville, IL
Real Name
Danny
Let me amend my original claim. I am lazy......and "frugal".... ;)

drive all the way down here and pay me to do it then. i only charge half that price of you big city folks....literally, half of that price quoted. haha. but gas to drive all the way down here would be the same price as just paying PAF to do it. haha

i just picked up some black fire wet diamond and midnight sun, i can't wait for the next dark colored car to schedule an appointment so i can try it out. my last 4-5 details have been white/silver cars, im wanting to use it on something dark to really see the results.

guspech750

Guspech Superdriller
TCG Premium
Jan 23, 2010
North Aurora
Easy solution.

Wash your car.
Clay bar it once.
Then just use Croftgates Last Detail every couple weeks or once a month.
Your car will look awesome.

I clay barred, polished and waxed my car well over two years ago. All I have done since then is just used Croftgates Last Detail once or twice a month. Many people have told me my car has a great wet and shiny look.

All you will have to do is get an occasional car wash and spray and wipe The Last Detail and your done.

I will never use any other junk now sold in the stores, ever!

Croftgates Last Detail is all I use.

atene4u2.jpg

So easy. Even a caveman can do it.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info