Rider down in San Antonio...

cacicgtp7

Some Military Dude
Nov 9, 2008
Boston, MA
Real Name
John
I'm literally copying and pasting the email that went out to all the riders across our unit here on Lackland AFB. Tragic loss. I hate using the over redundant example of "buying too big too soon," since so many like to trump that with "well just be smart and you can start on any CC bike," but the question is would this have happened on a 250cc? (the 2007 in question was a ZX10 liter bike) Who knows, but extremely sad none the less. I got more details on this after the email but RIP.

------------------

CPSD Riders,

The city of San Antonio experienced the loss of a motorcycle rider on
Tuesday evening as he exited a dealerships parking lot. The individual had
just purchased a 2007 Kawasaki Ninja from Alamo Cycle Plex near I-10 and De
Zavala Rd. He was 25yrs old with no license, little to no experience, and
attempting to exit a parking lot onto an extremely busy frontage road for
his first ride. The outcome of this scenario resulted in the individual
losing control of the motorcycle before sliding across three lanes of
traffic and coming to a rest in the path of an oncoming SUV. All of this
happened as his mother watched helplessly from behind.

I know that most of us have maintenance performed at various locations
throughout the city; however if you happen to visit this location or any
with similar traffic conditions, please take the time to properly access the
situation prior to departing. Also, if you know of an inexperienced rider
in CPSD that's looking to purchase a motorcycle please have them come see
either TSgt Cowan or myself. Thanks for your time and continue to ride safe.

//SIGNED//

Eugene C. Kirkland, TSgt, USAF
AFLCMC/HNCOIC
NCOIC, Network Systems Center

--------------------------------

Be safe out there all!

Aron

TCG Elite Member
Sep 1, 2005
I don't blame the bike, I blame the rider:

no license, little to no experience, and
attempting to exit a parking lot onto an extremely busy frontage road for
his first ride
There's your contributing factors. I'm guessing he was trying to rush due to oncoming traffic (busy road) and with his inexperience he did not know to LEAN the bike to turn and instead went straight as he hit the gas. Typical Newb mistake.

Euro

GM or Nothing
Oct 22, 2007
Roselle
Real Name
Matt
I don't blame the bike, I blame the rider:

There's your contributing factors. I'm guessing he was trying to rush due to oncoming traffic (busy road) and with his inexperience he did not know to LEAN the bike to turn and instead went straight as he hit the gas. Typical Newb mistake.

That and I'm sure there was a pretty big high in his head of purchasing said bike. So sad, I can't believe how traumatic it must've been for his mother to literally watch it all. RIP.

On a side note, not sure if I'm just ignorant or not...but can they really sell a bike to someone who doesn't have their M license?

rocket5979

Gearhead
Nov 15, 2005
Round Lake, IL
On a side note, not sure if I'm just ignorant or not...but can they really sell a bike to someone who doesn't have their M license?

Why not? Ownership has nothing to do with whether the person is the operator. In this case the kid drove it off the lot, but checking if he has the proper credentials to operate the vehicle isn't on the dealership. Sounds like Darwin just eliminated another from the gene pool.

Euro

GM or Nothing
Oct 22, 2007
Roselle
Real Name
Matt
Why not? Ownership has nothing to do with whether the person is the operator. In this case the kid drove it off the lot, but checking if he has the proper credentials to operate the vehicle isn't on the dealership. Sounds like Darwin just eliminated another from the gene pool.

Honestly I just never thought about it. They want your license/insurance for test drives, I would've thought the same for a purchase. I'm sure it's not a huge priority in the dealer's eyes, as long as the sale happens...but I thought it could've been a state law or something.

rocket5979

Gearhead
Nov 15, 2005
Round Lake, IL
Honestly I just never thought about it. They want your license/insurance for test drives, I would've thought the same for a purchase. I'm sure it's not a huge priority in the dealer's eyes, as long as the sale happens...but I thought it could've been a state law or something.

That is because they still own the car during the test drives. They need to cover their own asses at that point in time so that if a crash happens the driver can be identified and his insurance can be called to cover the damages. But once the papers are signed and they no longer own the car they could give a shit who drives it off of the lot.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info