possibly looking for bike Questions....

mr.gto

Deleted New Name
Jul 27, 2009
Figured id post here and see what all the bikers had to say.

Possible looking for a bike in the near future just as a cruiser. I repeat not looking to get the bike to race on the streets or at the track. I wanted to see what to look for when going to get a bike? Like if its a pvt seller, I.E. wear issues things that would stand out?

I was looking at a gsxr600 or yamaha r6. I know these bikes are a little on the quick side, however my intent is not to zip around and through traffic like I have a 10 billion dollar life insurance policy. Just something to cruise on nice days. I wouldnt be getting these for their speed, more or less because I love the way they look. Anyone have input or maybe another bike that looks similar for a little less money? Just throwing around the idea. Thanks

Turtle

Addict
Mar 21, 2011
A 2003+ sv650s can be had for $3500ish. Its a lot better bike in terms of street usage. V twin power, good torque for the city riding. Not much power after 110mph. Many claim 40-55mpg. Trouble free most of the time.

Its a different look then a gsxr or r6 tho. But cheaper bike and cheaper insurance to.

Flyn

Go ahead. I'll catch up.
TCG Premium
Mar 1, 2004
Selling homes on the Gulf Coast of Florida
Test ride. Test ride. Test ride. Don't pick a bike just by looks. Test ride models of the bikes you like and also test ride a naked bike (standard motorcycle) and maybe a cruiser. They all feel different and different people like different riding styles. Some guys like to be bent over the handlebars and some like to sit back and relax.

Check the tires out carefully, especially the back one. Changing a back tire is a project. If the tires are worn, the price should come down.

Check the smoothness of the gear shifts. Repairs can get expensive.

Check clutch engagement. Should be around the middle of the travel and smooth.

As with a car, check the oil for condition. Too clean or too dirty can be red flags. Maybe the guy had a good reason for changing it right before the sale but maybe not.

Accessories are expensive. Getting them thrown in with a bike is a good thing. Aftermarket seats and exhaust are two items that will cost you a couple or several hundred bucks each if you buy them yourself.

Turtle

Addict
Mar 21, 2011
Test ride. Test ride. Test ride. Don't pick a bike just by looks. Test ride models of the bikes you like and also test ride a naked bike (standard motorcycle) and maybe a cruiser. They all feel different and different people like different riding styles. Some guys like to be bent over the handlebars and some like to sit back and relax.

Check the tires out carefully, especially the back one. Changing a back tire is a project. If the tires are worn, the price should come down.

Check the smoothness of the gear shifts. Repairs can get expensive.

Check clutch engagement. Should be around the middle of the travel and smooth.

As with a car, check the oil for condition. Too clean or too dirty can be red flags. Maybe the guy had a good reason for changing it right before the sale but maybe not.

Accessories are expensive. Getting them thrown in with a bike is a good thing. Aftermarket seats and exhaust are two items that will cost you a couple or several hundred bucks each if you buy them yourself.

Agreed!!! I wasn't into naked bikes when I first started to take my motorcycle course (highly recommend) but after I found myself really loving the naked sport bike and got myself a sv650n.

6uvy7eme.jpg

Its not the best picture but its a very comfortable, laid back sport bike. I have handle bar on mines so I'm not bend over on the gas tank.

Many of my friends has/had Honda CBR. They seem to be decent all around if that's the position and style you want. I think early models had a timing chain tensioner go bad. Not sure cost of ease of repair. CBR600 have a fully raced one known as cbr600rr and a mild/comfortable cbr600f4i.

mr.gto

Deleted New Name
Jul 27, 2009
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1373334930.988509.jpg

What do u all bikers think...... This one is at a dealer near midway. They stated in the add that this has a partial motor rebuild that went bad on previous owner and bent valves is it worth it to maybe get it for 3k and find someone to rebuild? Honest thoughts please

RICH17

Dr. Pussy Slayer, MD
TCG Premium
Nov 14, 2008
The 007
Real Name
Adam Rich
I wouldnt go for that R6. I'd go look at a showroom somewhere and sit and feel what is going on. I love the look of the CBR600RR until I rode it. Felt very uncomfotable. Rod a Harley night train and loved it even tho I am not a harley fan.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info