Beginner Bikes?

Dasfinc

Ready for the EVlution
Sep 28, 2007
Wheaton, IL
I'm a similar build, and took the course as well like a year back, did the EXACT same research for the same question.

General summary of what I heard/found

You will get bored of any 250cc bike quickly, but you can and will kill yourself if you get silly on a 600 or bigger sport bike (GSXR etc)

I had a 500cc Suzuki for a few months that I puttered around on, but it was a POS. After that, I decided I'm going to buy a SV650, or Honda NC700 at some point in the future. They 'sporty' bikes, but aren't crotch rocket caliber of speed, but handle very well, hold value well, are more beginner friendly, etc, etc, etc.

If you are looking to buy a beater first bike, then just buy a older 250 (Ninja *Sport* or Shadow *cruiser* for example) until you are comfortable riding on the road, and then get something 'bigger'.

FrenchLicker

Enginerd
Jan 10, 2013
Naperthrill
I have looked and it seems that the Ninja and CBR are the only two available in small street displacement. I was considering looking for the Ninja 300 but still looks to be sold out at most places I check. I would love to go balls out and look for a Ducati Monster or an FZ8 but not sure if I want to spend that much on a first street bike, I know I am gonna fall at some point.

TCG Member 5219

TCG Elite Member
Mar 22, 2005
Skip the starter bike. Get what you want and just ride smart. Then you can grow into the bike and not be wanting a normal one a month down the road. I've been riding sport bikes since 2000. Had 7 sport bikes. The liter bike is the way to go if you are smart and can manage the power wisely until you have the experience. The tq is superior and you can pass quickly without having to rev to the moon like on a 600. Skip the starter bikes and get the business if you trust your self.

If not, ninja 250. /thread.

XxApollynxX

TCG Elite Member
Jun 2, 2008
Plainfield
Shop around on the insurance, because I got quotes all over the place, and was surprised to see how much each company varied in price for the same coverage. I started on a 250 and wish I never did what a waste of time, I went 250, 600, 1300, 1000 if i were to do it all over again I would have went straight to the 1k or Busa and just ride smart/easy less time wasted selling/rebuying. I sold my Busa to a person who had never been on a bike or atv or anything he rode it for the last 3 years and put good miles on it. It's all in YOUR self control though, just sit on a bunch and see what feels the best for you because it doesn't mean its the best for me!

Aron

TCG Elite Member
Sep 1, 2005
How big are you? Honestly, depending on your size you may want to skip supersports altogether and get something more comfy like the FZ8 you want or even an FZ1 or similar "naked" bike. If you are set on a sport bike, go hypersport like a busa or ZX14 and just practice restraint when it comes to the throttle.

Like already stated, skip a "starter" bike and just get what you want the first time. Who cares if you drop it, that's what insurance is for.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info