Shifter Problem

I've already posted on the Fiero forum, but I don't see this as a specific Fiero problem. My 4 speed will go through all of the gears except reverse. No matter how much I push and adjust the cables on the transmission, reverse doesn't seem to exist. If I put it in the bottom left (where there should be no gear) or in reverse itself - the car moves forward.

I feel like one of the issues involved with it is that the shifter doesn't stay in place after you let go of it. If I put the car in first, it will slide back and rest in 3rd gear, but the transmission will stay in first.

I'm losing my mind and looking for any ideas.

Wrencher

Regular
Sep 11, 2011
Those transmissions are a little funky they have internal & external shift selector shafts.
There is a izusu or a muncie box though. The designs are different /parts names etc...
Sounds like it possibly broke a roll pin. Never know thou, need to get into it & see.

I wouldn't drive it at all.
It will get worse if it lets you get 2 gears @ once.
Need to know really what trans you have to know where to go from here....

It's the 4 speed muncie. If it's the detents I'm guessing that I would need to break the case open?

I can go into every other gear except reverse so I don't see why it would be the roll pin? Maybe I described it wrong. I don't have to follow the shift pattern explicitly. This is my first manual car so I don't have a lot of experience with it, but I can slide it from:

R <--> 1st <--> 3rd Without having to go back into the neutral area if that makes sense.

Wrencher

Regular
Sep 11, 2011
The shifter & cables are pretty simple...
In a fiero even easier to check.

Grab the linkage underhood (or trunk in this case)
Run it thru the gears @ the trans & observe the shifter.
Any problems will be obvious.

If no shifter/cable problems, you should be able to confirm it @ the trans w/ the cables disconnected.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info