Would you plasti dip your car?

Turk

Lt. Ron "Slider" Kerner
TCG Premium
Jan 21, 2008
Call me crazy, but I have a service appointment for the R8 on Monday. It's not a recall, it's what audi calls an update, in other words, they'll change a part for you the next time you're in, but won't contact you specifically about it. The R8 needs the fuel pump changed. This requires the tech to remove the left side engine bay cover, which means a bunch of leaning into the car so on and so forth. It's a bitch, I've done it. My question is, would you plasti dip sections of the car to protect it from any scratches? I'm contemplating doing this. Am I crazy?

Mike K

TCG Elite Member
Apr 11, 2008
Your crazy dude. It's an exotic car... They have protocol in place to work on it without ruining it. I.E. car specific covers for just about every body panel of that car. Don't worry about it.

I respect the enthusiasm but I would be embarrassed rolling up with a plasti-dipped fender. It basically says you don't trust them for shit.

Bob Kazamakis

I’m the f-ing lizard king
TCG Premium
Oct 24, 2007
Denver
Real Name
Joel
You're crazy dude. It's an exotic car... They have protocol in place to work on it without ruining it. I.E. car specific covers for just about every body panel of that car. Don't worry about it.

I respect the enthusiasm but I would be embarrassed rolling up with a plasti-dipped fender. It basically says you don't trust them for shit.
:greasy:

Rebel

TCG Elite Member
Dec 15, 2008
Reno, NV
Your crazy dude. It's an exotic car... They have protocol in place to work on it without ruining it. I.E. car specific covers for just about every body panel of that car. Don't worry about it.

I think that's the point. :dunno: But I agree it would look tacky on an R8. Use the 3M spray paint. I saw Ktravers use it a few weeks ago and it was nice. It peels off too if you didn't want to keep it.

BrianG

Big Dick Team Octane
Oct 5, 2008
Streamwood
Real Name
Brian G
I can understand your concern, but I have to imagine what [MENTION=396]Mike K[/MENTION] said is exactly what goes on when a car like that is serviced. I definitely wouldn't knock you for it, but I would HOPE it wouldn't be necessary.

If you do decide to do the plasti-dip, do multiple medium coats so that when it comes time to peel it off, it all comes together. Watch the demo videos on DipYourCar.com to see how it peels off. If the coat is too light, you'll be "brushing" it off by hand insteand of being able to peel it.

Gav'sPurpleZ

If you fail to plan, you're planning to fail
TCG Sponsor
TCG Premium
Mar 3, 2008
Pingree Grove IL
when i lived in the city and the camaro was parked on the street....it was hailing and i laid thick moving blankets over it and stood @ the front door ready to adjust any sections that blew off.

Do what will make you feel confortable. i dont trust many people with my vehicles.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info