Calling All V-dubs!

Chesticlese

Newbie Grease Monkey
May 19, 2013
Racine, WI
I am calling all Volkswagen drivers

Calling all mk2's specifically

I have a bazillion stupid questions, no owners manual, and the internet isn't being much of a help!

Things like:

How in the hell do I move my seat so someone can climb in back? I pull the lever on the floor and the seat lurches forward, but only about 4 inches. Currently only skinny people can squeeze in back. Im moving soon, I need access!

Do you/did you have problems with the steering? I've got about 6 inches of play in my wheel.

The European lights for the mk2 are round, would it be a pain in the ass to change the grill to the Euro grill so I can have round lights?

Thanks guys!

Chesticlese

Newbie Grease Monkey
May 19, 2013
Racine, WI
hate to burst your bubble, but you're the only one on here with a mk2. :rofl:
you should get your steering fixed though. 6 inches of play is not normal :ugh:

LOL are you kidding me? No one here has an MK2? [MENTION=117]Slow Buick[/MENTION] I am going to kick you in the shin. "oh come to TCG, they can answer all your problems!" lol butthead.

Yea I have been looking up the parts for the steering rack, tie rods, and a bunch of other stuff. It's going to cost a pretty penny just to make her safer for the road, but she's worth every penny in my eyes.

bikrboy128

Some say.....
TCG Premium
Jul 15, 2007
Wheaton
:nope:

you should figure out what has play instead of just replacing everything.
have you ever been able to adjust the seat position? pull the seat out and see what's blocking the tracks. it might just need to be lubricated
chances are, the euro grill is a bolt on deal. i can't believe there isnt any info about this swap on the mk2 forums

Chesticlese

Newbie Grease Monkey
May 19, 2013
Racine, WI
:nope:

you should figure out what has play instead of just replacing everything.
have you ever been able to adjust the seat position? pull the seat out and see what's blocking the tracks. it might just need to be lubricated
chances are, the euro grill is a bolt on deal. i can't believe there isnt any info about this swap on the mk2 forums

My roommate is a VW connoisseur and generally mechanically inclined, and he seems hellbent on knowing just about all of what's causing the play.

I can adjust the position, I just cant get the seat to lean forward for someone to get in back. I've checked it out every time someone wants a ride, still havent figured it out.

I was about to join an MK2 forum when Slow Buick told me (not in these words) to fuck that and come here.

Chesticlese

Newbie Grease Monkey
May 19, 2013
Racine, WI

Dan00Hawk

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Apr 10, 2011
Plainfield
My MKV is getting sold this week to make room for a different vehicle so glad you are adding a VW to make up for my subtraction. :) Everything I've learned about GTIs came from the various VW forums. TCG is better as a local social auto forum where enthusiasts of all types can gather. There are certainly some very knowledgeable people here that can share valuable information about some specific vehicles, but like Turk said, you're much more likely to get more/better tech info from a site dedicated to your make and model.

Chesticlese

Newbie Grease Monkey
May 19, 2013
Racine, WI
TCG is a great forum, but nothing beats a car specific forum for information. I got so much info on my M3 from the M3 boards and now the same with my R8. I don't really post on them, just search and read.
I've been spending some time searching on them, and have already come across a few answers through the read, but I definitely like TCG
My MKV is getting sold this week to make room for a different vehicle so glad you are adding a VW to make up for my subtraction. :) Everything I've learned about GTIs came from the various VW forums. TCG is better as a local social auto forum where enthusiasts of all types can gather. There are certainly some very knowledgeable people here that can share valuable information about some specific vehicles, but like Turk said, you're much more likely to get more/better tech info from a site dedicated to your make and model.

Woohoo go VW! I wish mine was a GTI :(
I am going to take whatever information I can get, from all platforms. Things will work out :p

Chesticlese

Newbie Grease Monkey
May 19, 2013
Racine, WI

Dasfinc

Ready for the EVlution
Sep 28, 2007
Wheaton, IL
One of those "Website Value" sites:

TCG:

TCG_zpsf0f531a6.jpg

VW Vortex:

VWVOR_zps86ce8502.jpg

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info