Need Opinions for New Tires

Burtonrider10022

TCG Elite Member
Feb 25, 2008
Milwaukee, WI
Real Name
Yes
After poking around TireRack, I'm looking at the Bridgestone Turanza Serenity Plus. It is not available in a 225/55R18, so I'd be getting it in 235/55R18. Guy I know owns a Bridgestone/Firestone shop, and I can get them for $159 each.

Reviews, surveys, and magazine tests are all quite impressive, and they are a "low rolling resistance" tire so I think that should even out the added resistance of a 235 wide, and of course the 235 should look a lot better under there. Speedo will only be off by about 1-2% at 60MPH, and the difference in revolutions per mile isn't too bad either (see image below).

Your thoughts, better recommendations, etc. would be appreciated.

These are for my 2011 Mitsu. Outlander Sport SE 4WD. Driving is ~75% highway, at or only slightly above posted limits, so I don't need Z rated or anything. I'm looking for a "decent" performing tire, but my little SUV isn't a track car, and I don't try to make it one. I just don't want LESS performance than the stock tire. Snow performance is irrelevant due to winter rims/tires.

TireRack.com - Bridgestone Turanza Serenity Plus

bs_turan_serenp_1000.jpg

bs_turan_serenp_ci2_l.jpg
bs_turan_serenp_ci1_l.jpg
bs_turan_serenp_ci3_l.jpg

Gav'sPurpleZ

If you fail to plan, you're planning to fail
TCG Sponsor
TCG Premium
Mar 3, 2008
Pingree Grove IL
I see the yokohoma geolander AT/S is available in 225. my g/f has these on her jeep patriot and she also does alot of highway driving. I rotate them every 6K miles and they seem to be wearing very well.
if you bought these, maybe you could sell the winter wheels and tires to offset the cost.

235, the general G max as-03 look like they received good summer driving reviews and are cheaper than the continental extremecontact dws

Burtonrider10022

TCG Elite Member
Feb 25, 2008
Milwaukee, WI
Real Name
Yes
so do you want recommendations for 225 or 235 ?

:dunno: I am looking for opinions on that as well. Will the "low rolling resistance" tires offset the 10mm difference? I figure the 235's will LOOK better, and probably perform a little better (but I assume hardly noticeable), but my concern is if overall a 235 is going to be detrimental to the fuel economy and acceleration.

I've checked a lot of places and I just keep finding conflicting opinions. Some say there's no difference, some say "OMG I get like 3 MPG's now".

Gav'sPurpleZ

If you fail to plan, you're planning to fail
TCG Sponsor
TCG Premium
Mar 3, 2008
Pingree Grove IL
I see the yokohoma geolander AT/S is available in 225. my g/f has these on her jeep patriot and she also does alot of highway driving. I rotate them every 6K miles and they seem to be wearing very well.
if you bought these, maybe you could sell the winter wheels and tires to offset the cost.

235, the general G max as-03 look like they received good summer driving reviews and are cheaper than the continental extremecontact dws

would go with the AT/S geolandars if anything.

got em on our astro. we love them.

You want me to put van tires on my poor little car?

they are not van tires, they are more of a suv / truck tire.
my g/f went from a 215 to a 225 with her geolander at/s's and didn't notice any mpg dip.

they are a solid tire.

you're not driving a car, its a small SUV.....

Burtonrider10022

TCG Elite Member
Feb 25, 2008
Milwaukee, WI
Real Name
Yes
they are not van tires, they are more of a suv / truck tire.
my g/f went from a 215 to a 225 with her geolander at/s's and didn't notice any mpg dip.

they are a solid tire.

you're not driving a car, its a small SUV.....

I Only said that because they're on his van lol.

The General ones look nice, and they're 5 lbs lighter than the Bridgestones, & 4lbs lighter than my current tires.

Idk if I'm really looking for an A/T, but if I decide to go that route I'll keep those Geolanders in mind, thanks.

slowchevy

eat ass drive fast
Sep 10, 2007
Hey man, when you've got an open diff and a light rear end, you take whatever help you can get when the weather is less than desirable. This thing gets through things it just shouldn't on an open diff with a few bags and those things on it. :s00ls:

They have RWL too so they look pretty sharp. They don't look too gnarly but don't let it fool ya. They're plenty meaty to get the job done. Even at 85-90 MPH (no reason this thing should even go that fast) there's no hum, no unpredictability and they're solid.

imgcgie.jpg

:s00ls:

734484_10151332418401674_2023814425_n.jpg

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info