C&D Head2Head - 14 GTR Track vs. Audi R8 V10 Plus

10sec

I haz dat teddy bear smile.
TCG Premium
Jul 26, 2008
Why can't they make a comparison more fair boggles my mind. A tire advantage is a big advantage, especially in pretty much every timed competition they did. The GTR is pretty nuts though, engineering at it's best.

Turk

Lt. Ron "Slider" Kerner
TCG Premium
Jan 21, 2008
Agree with you Will. I bought my car for pure street enjoyment. I conceded that it wouldn't be the fastest around a track and I was OK with that. I'm actually surprised the R8 did as well as it did in this comapro. Like 10sac said, I just wish they put some better tires on it. I understand they used stock cars, but the GTR they used was directed to be used at the track, the r8 was just a street car.

Typhoon

Addict
Sep 25, 2011
Why can't they make a comparison more fair boggles my mind. A tire advantage is a big advantage, especially in pretty much every timed competition they did. The GTR is pretty nuts though, engineering at it's best.

If the tires are available from the factory then I dont see why its a perfectly fair comparison. With that being said I dont think Audi is concerned about adding more track oriented options to the car. I dont think that was what they are aiming for with the R8.

10sec

I haz dat teddy bear smile.
TCG Premium
Jul 26, 2008
If the tires are available from the factory then I dont see why its a perfectly fair comparison. With that being said I dont think Audi is concerned about adding more track oriented options to the car. I dont think that was what they are aiming for with the R8.

Whhhaa? I understand the tires point, but the other half? I'm just saying if they're comparing two cars, give them equal tires. Then it's the car, not the tire.

Typhoon

Addict
Sep 25, 2011
Whhhaa? I understand the tires point, but the other half? I'm just saying if they're comparing two cars, give them equal tires. Then it's the car, not the tire.

I think the R8 is more of a Luxury that happens to be stupid fast than a track focused sports car like the GTR. Which is why in the video they mentioned it was a better street car. I guess what Im trying to say is the demographic that buys an R8 could probably care less that a GTR is faster around willow springs. Therefore Audi is unlikely to offer the R8 on a more agressive tire.

Turk

Lt. Ron "Slider" Kerner
TCG Premium
Jan 21, 2008
I think the R8 is more of a Luxury that happens to be stupid fast than a track focused sports car like the GTR. I guess what Im trying to say is the demographic that buys an R8 could probably care less that a GTR is faster around willow springs. Therefore Audi is unlikely to offer the R8 on a more agressive tire.

While I completely agree, that isn't exactly correct. Last year they offered the R8 GT which was a track oriented R8 but at a price close to 200k, which is ridiculous. No matter how you slice it, the R8 plus and GT aren't worth it. I can put exhaust on and get a tune at AMS for a ton cheaper and the car would be faster. The problem with the R8 is that it can not be faster than the LP560 from the factory. It's hilarious that Audi charges 20k more for the R8 plus simply because it isn't as detuned as the regular r8 v10. It's the same problem Chevy has, where the Corvette has to always be the best performing car made.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info