Marine carb rebuild

ktraver97ss

I say what everyone thinks
Aug 29, 2007
Roselle, IL
So, going to take a stab at rebuilding my boats carb tonight. Its off a 3.0l merc, and seems pretty straight forward, but I have never done it. All i know are coil packs and ecu's lol. I got the rebuild kit, but man there are a lot of little parts in it because it is some universal rebuild kit that works for several different carbs. Anyway, are there any helpful hints or things I should have on hand before I take this thing apart? Im thinking Ill just need basic hand tools, some rags, and carb cleaner, no?

Burtonrider10022

TCG Elite Member
Feb 25, 2008
Milwaukee, WI
Real Name
Yes
Triple check your tolerances before finishing. Guys on the Polaris forums Fuck up the pop off pressure or jet sizes all the time and then have to redo the whole damn thing.

, a lot of people have trouble when using non-oem/non-Mikuni kits. Idk if your Merc will be quite as finicky, but it's something to keep in if you have any issues later.

ktraver97ss

Aug 29, 2007
Roselle, IL
Hell no i dont want to. lol Its been running rough, mainly a large hesitation during acceleration right before planing that is really annoying esp when the boat is loaded up. After some online research its most likely the carb, its the original from 92. I just did plugs and shit a couple years ago and they all looked good when i put it away last year.

ktraver97ss

Aug 29, 2007
Roselle, IL
does your carb have that plastic screen filter in the fuel line fitting, is there a hesitation under wot

Yes, and yes, but couldnt get the fitting off at the house. Going to bring it to the shop to put it in the vice on Sat and change that too.

id do that little carb filter a water seperator and see what happens, if that dosnt fix it its probably the anti siphon valve ontop of the gas tank, or a slight clog in the screen on the fuel pick up in the tank

Where is the water seperator?

1quick

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jan 29, 2008
coal city
i had a similar problem last year, you can get rid of the anti siphon valve and put a regular barb and a little ball valve so you can still shut the fuel off, the anti siphon valve is only there so if your fuel line gets cut it wont dump all the gas into the bilge, the spring often brakes and wont alow the check ball to open all the way and thats ware your hesitation comes from alot of the time

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info