Need help finding a fix for DTC code UP0502

Turbocharged400sbc

3800 & 4T80E > ALL
TCG Premium
Jun 16, 2007
hangover park IL
description
Circuit Description with 4L80-E / 4L85-E Automatic Transmission
The automatic transmission output shaft speed (AT OSS) sensor, which is a permanent magnet generator, produces an AC voltage as the transmission speed sensors rotor teeth pass through the magnetic field of the sensor. The AC voltage level and the number of pulses increase as the speed of the vehicle increases. The powertrain control module (PCM) converts the voltage to a digital signal for vehicle speed. The vehicle speed is used for engine and transmission calculations.

If the PCM detects a low vehicle speed and there is a high engine speed in a drive gear range, DTC P0502 sets. DTC P0502 is a type C DTC. For California emissions and vehicles under 8,600 GVW, DTC P0502 is a type B DTC.

Conditions for Running the DTC

• No MAF sensor DTCs P0101, P0102 or P0103.
  • No MAP sensor DTCs P0106, P0107 or P0108.
  • No TP sensor DTCs P0121, P0122 or P0123.
  • No TFP manual valve position switch DTC P1810.
  • No ISS DTCs P0716 or P0717.
  • No VSS DTC P0503.
  • The engine torque must be 108-576 Nm (80-425 ft. lbs.) .
  • No change in 4WD low for at least 2 seconds.
  • The input speed is greater than 1,400 RPM.
  • The gear range is not PARK or NEUTRAL.
  • The system voltage is 8-18 volts.
  • Throttle angle is equal to or greater than 10 percent.
  • The engine vacuum is 0-105 kPa (0-15 psi) .
  • The engine is running for greater than 7 seconds.
Conditions for Setting the DTC
The AT OSS is less than 50 RPM for at least 3.5 seconds.

Action Taken When the DTC Sets

• For California emission equipped vehicles, the PCM illuminates the malfunction indicator lamp (MIL) during the second consecutive trip in which the Conditions for Setting the DTC are met. For Federal emission equipped vehicles, the MIL is not illuminated.
  • The PCM commands maximum line pressure.
  • The PCM freezes transmission adaptive functions.
  • The PCM defaults a calculated output speed value by using the AT ISS values.
  • The PCM records the operating conditions when the Conditions for Setting the DTC are met. The PCM stores this information as Freeze Frame, California only, and Failure Records, California and Federal.
  • The PCM stores the DTC P0502 in PCM history during the second consecutive trip, California, or the first trip, Federal, in which the Conditions for Setting the DTC are met.
Conditions for Clearing the MIL/DTC

• For California emissions, the PCM turns OFF the MIL during the third consecutive trip in which the diagnostic test runs and passes.
  • A scan tool can clear the MIL/DTC.
  • For California emissions, the PCM clears the DTC from PCM history if the vehicle completes 40 warm-up cycles without an emission related diagnostic fault occurring.
  • For Federal emissions, the PCM clears the DTC from PCM history if the vehicle completes 40 warm-up cycles without a non-emission related diagnostic fault occurring.
  • The PCM cancels the DTC default actions when the fault no longer exists and the ignition switch is OFF long enough in order to power down the PCM.
Diagnostic Aids
DTC P0502 defaults to an elevated line pressure condition which may result in partial TCC apply. This may produce an idle surge that could stall the engine.

Turbocharged400sbc

3800 & 4T80E > ALL
TCG Premium
Jun 16, 2007
hangover park IL

and the diagnostic flowchart

thats the best i can do for now, i gotta go to work :jg:

Smokinhot

3-man rules!!!!
Jul 4, 2007
Lansing, IL
Real Name
IM me if you wanna know more ;)
Sorry guys, i'm at work and haven't had a break yet. Its the stock 60e harness. I have had it 80e segment swapped via HPt for almost three years.

I actually just thought of something, i recently had HPt re-segment swap it bc they added new parameters in it specifically for the 80e to try an correct the in and out of lock-up on the converter issue. It may be in that. I'll load in my old tune and try that when i leave work and report back.

I swapped in my sensors off the old trans and a few codes or wheel speed sensors went away then the VSS low circuit one came up.

I may try to email HPt as well, maybe a reading is skewed :dunno:

I'm up for any other options

Smokinhot

3-man rules!!!!
Jul 4, 2007
Lansing, IL
Real Name
IM me if you wanna know more ;)
The engine torque must be 108-576 Nm (80-425 ft. lbs.)

this is interesting me... those conditions for setting it off, I qualify for a few. My max torque is set for 640 and though I hit around 500. All through HPt. All this is wierd bc it just came out of no where.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info

• Smokinhot
    Created
    Replies
    Views
  • Participants list