Car Registration Question - Out of State Tax Edition

muskie

TCG Elite Member
May 26, 2011
Palatine
So the time has come for my girlfriend to get a car after moving to the city last year. The problem we are having is deciding whether it would be better to register in IL or WI at her moms. Most likely the car will be purchased private sale in IL.

Obviously I know fees are more expensive in IL but what I can't find any information on is sales tax in WI. Getting to WI to take care of the plating/title is going to be a problem as they have worse hours than in IL and I work in Glenview live in Oak Park.

From my findings so far:

WI it would be $70 for a title transfer, $75 for plates, but I have no idea on tax.
IL is $95 for a title, $101 for plates and as far as I can tell tax is $25 being the car we are looking it is over 11 years old = $221

Are my findings on IL tax correct for a car that is over 11 years old? Does anyone have experience in WI with sales tax on vehicles?

Obviously if it is significantly cheaper I will deal with going to WI, but if it is more expensive or really close it would probably be worth it to title here in IL for the convenience.

muskie

TCG Elite Member
May 26, 2011
Palatine
You're sweating pennies. Is the car going to live in Illinois? She won't need a city sticker (if you need one where she is), you can get away with dark tint and no front plate and you're not giving money to shitty Illinois.

I am sweating pennies, because its not my money. She lives off loans while she finishes her masters program. Working is not an option as she has class and clinicals 80+ hours a week. So it makes a difference. We tried for a year and a half to make not having a car work, but her clinical is on the West Side and there was an incident when she tried walking there.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info