Opening headlights..how?

slowchevy

eat ass drive fast
Sep 10, 2007
Was reading a park avenue forum earlier, saw this. My question is how do you open up a car headlight to pop this bezel out to paint ? Googled with no real answers?

gaja4ahe.jpg

abebeseq.jpg

Shawn1112

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 4, 2010
Streamwood
Oven for 20 mins. I believe at 250. Look it up on css.net for how they do it. It loosens up the glue so you can pull them apart.

Yep, what he said. I have opened about 20 pair of headlights. Not sure if your particular headlight has clips, but if so be very careful with the clips. Put them back together the same way, after taking out of oven on the reassembly, throw a towel on the housing and use 2 clamps to make sure it seals tightly. Run a bead of silicone around the housing when done.

l0wb00st

Overbuild It, Or Don't Build It
Jan 29, 2012
NW Suburbs
I've heard of doing them in the oven, but i was a little scared to put the headlights for the evo in there (JDM Evo headlights are over $1k for a set).

I used a heat gun to open mine up. Then used Marine Sealant to reseal them. They came out really well, and (knock on wood) haven't leaked/fogged up yet.

Lord Tin Foilhat

TCG Conspiracy Lead Investigator
TCG Premium
Jul 8, 2007
Privy Chamber
buy a second pair if your worried. its easy though.

the reason i chose oven over heat gun is for a more even controlled heat. i heard alot of people were melting them with the heat guns due to they get really fucking hot and its hard to measure how hot the area is getting.

watch them closely and make sure theres no melting and look for the caulk to get soft and stringy. then just pull apart. watch for clips that hold the plastic cover on.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info