Mike K Car Review v.Tesla Model S Performance

Mike K

TCG Elite Member
Apr 11, 2008
I set up an appointment last week. I'm actually seriously considering one if we move to LA. It seems like it would be an awesome choice for me. So I went into the store today. The sales associate showed me the car in the showroom, ran me through the features and then took me out to the car.

First impressions: it's impressive to see the attention to detail and the mass produced feel the car has. It doesn't feel like a car that's been put together in small batches. It has a very mass produced, well built feel to it... In a good way that is. So let's just dive right in...

Drivetrain - If you're reading you're reading for this I'm sure. It. is. Amazing. You have to drive the car to even get an idea but there is zero lag. The second you put the throttle to the floor you have instantaneous peak torque. No downshifting, no waiting for the converter to flash, the turbos to spool, the engine to rev up... nothing. It kicks you in the ass immediately and never lets up.

And it's deceiving too. You hit unreasonably high speeds with minimal effort. I ended up doing 85mph on a frontage road when I thought I was doing 60. There is just unrelenting power and on paper this car is just silly.

Around town in normal driving it is unbelievably smooth. A slight push of the throttle results in a silent creep forward. Through surface streets in day to day driving the electric drivetrain delivers a luxury feel no gas engine ever could.

Handling - I was expecting it to be great and I wasn't disappointed. No combination of throttle and steering could get the car to relent in the turns. It has grip for miles and doesn't make a fuss about it either. This is a car that makes anyone feel like a better driver than they are and it should. It's heavy and has a very low center of gravity.

The ride was compliant, not overly firm, nice and isolated but capable as well. My one complaint here is that while it doesn't seem to affect handling at all, you really feel the weight in hard turns. You can hear the tires scrubbing to keep all that car under control. A minor complaint that most won't care about...

2012-tesla-model-s-display-screen-photo-flickr-user-jurvetson_100393720_m.jpg

Tech - There is just one giant 17" display in the center console. I'm a tech nerd when it comes to my cars so I was excited for this and it doesn't disappoint. Navigation is seamless, there's a built in web browser and control for just about every aspect of the car right at your finger tips and it's actually intuitive. You don't need a manual to use the system. Things are just obvious. If you want to open the sunroof you just touch it on the pictures and drag it as far as you want it to open. Done. The system completely blows BMW's iDrive out of the water. I can't think of a car that has anything close to this. It's revolutionary.

It's also a bit much. The display is *gasp* too big and looks like something a teenager would have fiberglassed into his interior. You could easily accomplish the same with a much smaller screen. There was a lot of wasted real estate here. The instrument cluster on the other hand is perfect. It's just one large LCD display but it's well used and navigation on it is awesome.

Then there's the other neat touches... My favorite was the door handles which slide out of the car after you give them a slight push. I'm a sucker for gimmicks like that.

interior_a.jpg

Interior - No me gusta. I wanted to like it. I wanted to love it and it's not bad but it's got a very weird feel to it. There's no center console. That makes me feel like I'm driving a Prius but it's worse than that. Generally when you see concept cars they have overly simplistic interiors and then the bean counters get the car, add a cup holder here and a storage bin there and all of the sudden you end up with an interior that looks much different than the original concept. That didn't happen here. You feel like you're sitting in a concept car interior and all the sudden you realize why they add all those design cues before cars go into production: nobody actually likes that overly simplistic, intentionally futuristic look.

The interior is oddly stark and there's a completely absence of storage space. There are no bins on the doors, none in the console, none behind the seats, just nothing. And this lack of bins and buttons and stuff gives the car a very basic feel which some might consider to be on par with that of an economy car. Only now take your economy car interior and wrap everything in leather. The door panels: leather. The dash: leather. Everything is wrapped and stitched which leads me to my next issue...

You can't have young kids and own this car. The chances of them stabbing the leather, scuffing the leather, kicking the leather etc is entirely too high and it's all stitched together so having it repaired would be iffy. The interior is to be treated with care which leaves the car in a weird position because most interiors like that belong to high dollar luxo-barges and this car doesn't have that kind of interior nor does it have an interior practical enough (or resistant) to deal with bratty kids.

Conclusion - A sports car this is not. It's capable, much like the Lincoln MKS is capable but you don't feel like you're in a sporty car. There's no sense of urgency, no feeling that you're connected with the road. And the brutal acceleration? Well that's nice too but not in a way that I think enthusiasts want. It suffers from the same problem... There's just no drama. It so effortlessly gets you from a standstill to "holy shit is that a cop" fast but it manages to feel like an appliance while it does it. You can't argue with numbers and the numbers paint a compelling picture but if you took a car guy, put him in an M5 and then put him in this, he'd choose the M5 ten times out of ten.

So this all seems rather scathing but lucky for me my definition of a sports sedan differs from most of the general public's and that acceleration is going to win over all but the most devout petrol heads. This is a very good luxury car. The drivetrain is deceptively smooth and completely silent, the features are top of the line and the interior materials on par with their german equivalents. So Tesla won't be winning over many diehard auto enthusiasts but they represent a minority of the car buying public and as an overall vehicle, this is a great car with a few minor idiosyncrasies.

Bob Kazamakis

I’m the f-ing lizard king
TCG Premium
Oct 24, 2007
Denver
Real Name
JK
Mike K tells it like it is. I too thought the screen was absurd. I can't believe its legal its so fucking huge and bright :rofl:

I still think its a step in the right direction (assuming we're still going to try this hybrid/electric stuff).

It would be nice if in the future they come out with a cheaper priced smaller sedan with like half the power and the same range. That would get all these other companies to stop dicking around with their pathetic hybrids and e cars

BrianG

Big Dick Team Octane
Oct 5, 2008
Streamwood
Real Name
Brian G
Another excellent review Mike! I love this car. I really should have taken the opportunity to schedule a drive when Telsa invited me, but never got to it. You raise a good point that overall, it doesn't seem to fit a sports sedan feel, but I'm even more convinced now that this, paired with a fun "fair weather" car would be perfect for me. I'd love to own one of these in the future.

Mike K

TCG Elite Member
Apr 11, 2008
Another excellent review Mike! I love this car. I really should have taken the opportunity to schedule a drive when Telsa invited me, but never got to it. You raise a good point that overall, it doesn't seem to fit a sports sedan feel, but I'm even more convinced now that this, paired with a fun "fair weather" car would be perfect for me. I'd love to own one of these in the future.

Yeah I mean I'd totally rock one... It just didn't tick all the boxes for me personally and it has a few notches it needs to move up in the practicality department before it could really be considered as a truly viable option for the masses.

A few things I did forget to mention that I really liked... The trunk is huge since the car is a hatchback. It's cavernous and the back seats go down to give you a lot of space for boxes, luggage, kittens, whatever. In addition to that, the area where the engine would be on a traditional car is also a decent sized trunk. You won't get any golf bags in there but groceries yes.

The back seats also had plenty of legroom and again at odds with the car's luxury appeal... You can put 2 rear facing seats in the hatch for youngsters. So you can carry 7 people in the car.

Lastly, there is something that I think is going to be a deal breaker for some or maybe it will end up just killing the residual value of the car once the miles stack on... The stock battery is rated for 10 - 15 years and according to the sales person the data they have from the Tesla Roadster is that around 100,000 miles is when people started seeing a reduction in range. When that battery needs to be replaced the cost is $12,000.

$12,000 is almost 4 years worth of gas if you average 15,000 miles a year and your car gets 20 miles to the gallon. So a big chunk of your savings is eliminated if you rack the mileage up to the point where you'd need a new battery.

Now she did tell me that the car wouldn't cease to function, just that the range would start to decrease and by incremental amounts. So for people that use the car as a local commuter perhaps it reaches the end of it's life before they'd ever notice the difference.

Mike K

TCG Elite Member
Apr 11, 2008
It would be nice if in the future they come out with a cheaper priced smaller sedan with like half the power and the same range. That would get all these other companies to stop dicking around with their pathetic hybrids and e cars

They are. The X SUV is next and then after that they're going to release a 33 series competitor that will be somewhere in the $30,000's for a starting price. Not bad and I think Tesla is going to learn a lot of design lessons (especially for the interior) between now and then.

Bob Kazamakis

I’m the f-ing lizard king
TCG Premium
Oct 24, 2007
Denver
Real Name
JK
The X is just weird......curious how well that'll sell. I don't recall the price points for it though.

Considering the volt is like a 30 mile range and I think costs something like $40k that $30k price point will be huge especially if they can keep the range up to at least 200 miles (I'm sure they'll have battery options like they do now).

Lord Tin Foilhat

TCG Conspiracy Lead Investigator
TCG Premium
Jul 8, 2007
Privy Chamber
Yeah I mean I'd totally rock one... It just didn't tick all the boxes for me personally and it has a few notches it needs to move up in the practicality department before it could really be considered as a truly viable option for the masses.

A few things I did forget to mention that I really liked... The trunk is huge since the car is a hatchback. It's cavernous and the back seats go down to give you a lot of space for boxes, luggage, kittens, whatever. In addition to that, the area where the engine would be on a traditional car is also a decent sized trunk. You won't get any golf bags in there but groceries yes.

The back seats also had plenty of legroom and again at odds with the car's luxury appeal... You can put 2 rear facing seats in the hatch for youngsters. So you can carry 7 people in the car.

Lastly, there is something that I think is going to be a deal breaker for some or maybe it will end up just killing the residual value of the car once the miles stack on... The stock battery is rated for 10 - 15 years and according to the sales person the data they have from the Tesla Roadster is that around 100,000 miles is when people started seeing a reduction in range. When that battery needs to be replaced the cost is $12,000.

$12,000 is almost 4 years worth of gas if you average 15,000 miles a year and your car gets 20 miles to the gallon. So a big chunk of your savings is eliminated if you rack the mileage up to the point where you'd need a new battery.

Now she did tell me that the car wouldn't cease to function, just that the range would start to decrease and by incremental amounts. So for people that use the car as a local commuter perhaps it reaches the end of it's life before they'd ever notice the difference.

Didn't they just release a statement saying free battery replacements for life? If so then this math doesn't matter

also i love me some electric cars! I just wish they were more affordable and had a better range. you cant beat the torque curves!

BrianG

Big Dick Team Octane
Oct 5, 2008
Streamwood
Real Name
Brian G
Thanks for touching on the 7 person seating, I read that somewhere once and wasn't sure how that actually worked out.

As far as the battery is concerned, even if it's not free replacement, over the next 5-10 years, battery technology and affordability *should* skyrocket, so as long as Tesla continues to utilize the new technology and produces replacement batteries for older products built with newer technology, you should end up with a better-than-original battery when it comes time to replace it.

Very nice a well described review as always. I see these vehicles all of the time in the city and they look sharp. After seeing the video of the side by side acceleration against the bmw 5 series i was impressed. On an off topic note does anyone realize that straight battery/hybrid vehicles still have an overall higher carbon footprint than a conventional gas/diesel vehicle.

Eagle

Nemo me impune lacessit
TCG Premium
Mar 1, 2008
Woodsticks, IL
My boss bought one of these. The glass roof is nice, the sport seats are comfortable (even for my big frame), and yeah... the door handles coming out to get you only as the key fob approaches the car is cool.

What's real nice is the iph app you can use to remotely manage the car. Another interesting perk is the dedicated parking spots with free charging stations! I think it's a nice gift for the folks forking out the $ for these cars...

but I still wouldn't buy one.

No exhaust growl. Regardless of how fast it is (and it is pretty damn fast), it doesn't make ANY noise, less tire/road noise. That and the stereo is kinda sub par!

My $.02

Mike K

TCG Elite Member
Apr 11, 2008
Didn't they just release a statement saying free battery replacements for life? If so then this math doesn't matter

They offer an unlimited mile, 8 year warranty on the 85kwh models and 125,000 miles on the 60kwh. Interesting that Elon says they have half a million miles on the 85kwh battery in the lab and it shows no signs of slowing. He also says they're opinion is that no one will ever put enough miles on the 85kwh model to kill it. Conventional wisdom says that's probably not the case but hey, I'm not in the electric car business.

As far as the battery is concerned, even if it's not free replacement, over the next 5-10 years, battery technology and affordability *should* skyrocket, so as long as Tesla continues to utilize the new technology and produces replacement batteries for older products built with newer technology, you should end up with a better-than-original battery when it comes time to replace it.

That's a great point. Theoretically by the time anybody needs one the price should be a lot cheaper and the technology a lot better.

Very nice a well described review as always. I see these vehicles all of the time in the city and they look sharp. After seeing the video of the side by side acceleration against the bmw 5 series i was impressed. On an off topic note does anyone realize that straight battery/hybrid vehicles still have an overall higher carbon footprint than a conventional gas/diesel vehicle.

If the same hippies that embraced the electric car could get on board with Nuclear energy I think a lot of that could be mitigated.

No exhaust growl. Regardless of how fast it is (and it is pretty damn fast), it doesn't make ANY noise, less tire/road noise. That and the stereo is kinda sub par!

The higher end stereo is actually nice. I didn't hear the stock one.

So on a side note I was surfing Netflix tonight and came across a movie "Revenge of the Electric Car". It was from 2011 and it chronicled the previous 4 years of Tesla and the build of the Volt. The movie offers an interesting look into the very recent past.

Tesla had just started delivering the Roadsters after years of delays and people insisting they wouldn't be able to do it, Elon had just transferred 3 million of his own cash into the company to make payroll and float expenses and they were just about to announce the Model S. The funny thing is all the people they interviewed that said Tesla absolutely couldn't build their own sedan. They didn't have the money, they didn't have the technology, Elon was full of hot air. Ray Wert from Jalopnik was on camera calling the car complete vaporware, and in disbelief that they were going to start taking deposits for this car he seemed so sure would never come to fruition.

They also show Elon walking through the Detroit auto show and saying that he doesn't really know what other companies are offering... He "doesn't have enough time". He just builds what he knows people wants. Which makes it tough to dislike him, even if he is an egomaniac. :) There are a lot of parallels to Steve Jobs with respect to the way he thinks.

The documentary was taped in such a way as if to be predicting Tesla's imminent failure and seemed to accept the notion that the Model S was never going to happen. So it's pretty cool to see everyone's words frozen in time and even if Tesla goes belly up tomorrow they accomplished exponentially more than people said they would. A good lesson in ignoring your critics, especially if their entire job is just to criticize. Those that can, do. Those that can't, write for blogs.

Hubbard 0

TCG Elite Member
Sep 29, 2009
Chicago, IL
I drove to San Francisco and back this weekend. In the ~4 hours I was on the road, I saw 6 of these freaking things. In SF, on the highway, all over. Only caught them in 3 colors though, black, dark silverish, and white. The car is absolutely mean looking in white. I paced that one for awhile and its got a very aggressive back side.

Also, around here those electric car plugs are all over. So while out there I'm sure you infrequently see them, but there is even one on school campus.

Mook

Mr. Manager
Staff member
Admin
May 23, 2007
Elgin
Real Name
Mike
Consumer Reports gave it an almost perfect score.

Tesla Model S Review - Consumer Reports

Consumer Reports, the independent firm which tests and rates new cars and trucks, says the Tesla Model S performs better, or at least as well as, any other vehicle CR has ever driven.

Consumer Reports rates the Tesla Model S a 99 out of 100 points. It is the first time since 2007 the firm has given a rating that high for a vehicle it reviewed.

Consumer Reports: Tesla Model S Among Best Ever Reviewed

Mike K

TCG Elite Member
Apr 11, 2008
I keep thinking about it. My wife saw one at Woodfield and more or less gave me the green light. I'd want the performance model though and I'm not sure I could stomach paying over 100k for a car, especially considering how quickly I get bored.

I really need to start an exotic car dealership. Even if I didn't make any money I'd save thousands by not having to buy and sell my personal car every 8 - 15 months.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info