535 vs RS5 kind of...

Mike K

TCG Elite Member
Apr 11, 2008
So I'm out at Office Depot this fine afternoon getting myself some storage bins. I pack my bins up, hop in my car and pull out onto Roselle heading towards 90. As I pull out there's a break in traffic so I light up 1st gear, get squirrelly and hit 2nd before letting off and seeing the telltale running lights of a S5.

He pulls out aside me and we hit the light but we're in rush hour traffic so no go there. As I pull away from the light he gets behind me and I see "RS 5" on his front grill. Oh yay. At this point I have zero idea what's under the hood of this car. My brother had an S5 and with just 350hp that was kind of anemic but that was 2008 and Audi has since significantly stepped up their game with respect to horsepower numbers. I have no idea what to expect though.

So we're trolling about, a minivan in front of me and him behind me, the entrance to 90 quickly approaching and me praying to my god of choice that the minivan in front of me doesn't get onto that entrance...

... and it doesn't but I do and as I do I look in my rearview mirror, this time hoping to see the turn signal of the RS 5 signal that he's coming along for the ride. And he does... So I give it a little gas to see if he goes and bam, he's right on my ass. So then I do what any semi-sane person does, downshift a couple gears and take the fuck off. It wasn't a strong pull but it was a pull. He probably trailed 3 cars by the time I had to let off and though I didn't look, I'd assume we were merging onto the expressway and speeds far beyond the legal speed limit.

So I get home and see it's a 450 hp V8, all aluminum car. Good matchup and just about exactly the outcome I'd expect given his all wheel drive losses and 300lbs additional weight. Not bad for a piddly 3 liter inline 6.

Good lord is this hot though...

2012-audi-rs5.jpg

Mike K

TCG Elite Member
Apr 11, 2008
Crap I don't know... It was either a dark blue or black. I didn't get a look at the plates because he was never in front of me. :sools: Ask though... Would your guys be trolling around in Schaumburg?

Nice run! Audi cars are just too damn heavy!

Yeah 4000lbs for a coupe is a bit ridiculous. They still turn a 12.5 quarter mile though and compared to very recent Audi "performance" cars it's a huge step forward. "Hey what kind of times does your V10 S6 run? Oh mid 14's. It's also nose heavy and understeers like a Camry."

Bru

Staff member
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Yeah we have editors in Mt. Prospect and a multimedia studio in Hoffman.

I spent the last few nights in the car. Amazing engine, but it's portly and you can feel it until the revs kick in. The 7-speed does a good job keeping the engine in its powerband though. Sounds amazing at 8300 rpm.

Mike K

TCG Elite Member
Apr 11, 2008
If this were 2008 I'd agree 100%. Audi's were bloated, understeering monsters with performance numbers that didn't come close to their horsepower numbers but the new cars are a lot more performance oriented.

The gap has closed a lot though. BMW has transitioned to please a broader array of people by toning down some of their cars and Audi has done the same by taking the boring out of most of their cars.

You take a look at a few direct comparisons though... Like S6 to BMW 550. I'd go S6 between the two of those. A8 over 750 any day of the week. I would choose the 3 series over the A4 though. What else is there... Oh, A7 versus 6 series Gran Coupe. A7 is hot but the Gran Coupe... Would smash. S5 versus M4, M4...

So it's a split. If most BMW's drive like the 5 series loaner I had I wouldn't be able to help but to at least test drive some Audi's. The only thing my E60 535 and a 2013 F10 535 have in common is the name. The new car is bigger, slower and doesn't handle as well but has a much nicer interior. And that seems to be BMW's mantra lately.

Turk

Lt. Ron "Slider" Kerner
TCG Premium
Jan 21, 2008
I can't keep up with the audi lineup anymore. I think they skip a lot of RS models too, at one point I felt they only made one RS car at a time. For instance, if they were selling an RS5, they weren't making anything else at that time.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info