Driving a car costs more than $9,000 per year, says AAA

RICH17

Dr. Pussy Slayer, MD
TCG Premium
Nov 14, 2008
The 007
Real Name
Adam Rich
The cost of driving is going up, but it’s maintenance, not gasoline, that's now taking the biggest share of your driving dollar.

According to an annual AAA study, the price of driving will rise 1.96 percent in 2013, compared with last year. The AAA study, based on owning one of 15 top-selling sedans in the United States and operating it for 15,000 miles per year, showed that the average cost for car owners will jump 1.17 cents to 60.8 cents per mile, or $9,122 per year.

The largest component of that total cost will come from maintaining a vehicle, which will see the single largest percentage increase of any category, growing by 11.3 percent to 4.97 cents per mile on average. AAA based its estimates on the cost of maintaining a vehicle and performing needed repairs for five years and 75,000 miles, including labor, replacement parts and an extended warranty policy.

AAA attributed the increase in maintenance costs to a rise in labor and parts charges for some models, as well as a hike in the price of extended warranty policies due to high loss ratios by underwriters. “Many factors go into the cost calculation of owning and operating a vehicle,” John Nielsen, AAA’s director of Automotive Engineering and Repair, said in a statement.

Fuel and insurance price increases will take growing slices of the driving-cost pie. “This year, changes in maintenance, fuel and insurance costs resulted in the increase to just over 60 cents a mile,” Nielsen said.

The study predicted that fuel prices will rise only 1.93 percent -- to 14.45 cents per mile on average for sedan owners -- as gasoline prices remain relatively stable. The average cost of regular gas used by most of the vehicles in the study rose 3.84 percent, from $3.357 to $3.486 per gallon. But this was partially offset by several vehicles in the survey that achieved significant improvements in fuel economy. (Fuel costs in the 2013 study were determined using the national average price for regular gas during the fourth quarter of 2012.)

Average insurance costs for sedan owner are projected to rise 2.76 percent, or $28, to $1,029 a year. Insurance rates vary drastically depending on the driver, driving record, issuing company and region. The AAA study based its insurance cost estimates on a hypothetical low-risk driver with a clean record.

AAA obtained quotes from five of its own clubs, as well as insurance companies representing seven states. Overall, there is an across-the-board but modest increase in insurance premiums for all sedans, with large cars seeing a lower price increase than small- and medium-size sedans.

Depreciation costs in 2013 will also be up slightly, by less than 1 percent, to $3,571 per year. AAA said that this is likely due to growth in new-vehicle sales, which has put more used cars in the marketplace. That in turn drops the resale value of older models in good condition.

One expenditure that's unlikely to change is the cost of tires, which are estimated to remain at 1 cent per mile on average for sedan owners. AAA attributed this stability to a leveling off of past cost rises based on raw materials, energy and shipping.

“Before you make any vehicle purchase, it is important to determine ownership and operational costs and compare them to your current and future financial situation,” Nielsen said.

To figure out your own expenditures, you can download AAA’s brochure, which contains a worksheet that can be filled out and personalized for a specific driver, vehicle and location.

Exhaust Notes - A Blog from MSN Autos - MSN Autos

I think I'll stay with my 17 year old car for a while

RICH17

Dr. Pussy Slayer, MD
TCG Premium
Nov 14, 2008
The 007
Real Name
Adam Rich
Yea I guess theyre saying this for only new cars. If I didnt mod my Lumina I would have MAYBE a totaly of 1300 into it. Just in cost of repair and the initial purchase. And I only pay 300 bucks a year for insurance.

So basically I paid a third of what this survey is saying people pay in a year. And if I still had the 3100 in it I would be getting 30 MPGs.

LETS BUY HYBRIDS INSTEAD!

02BlueGT

No Fucks Have Been Given
Feb 21, 2008
Now apearing in Hanover Park
I was going to but from what ive gathered gm wont release there new spec to be copied and if you dont run gm spec oil your warrenty is void

One of the Castrol Full Synthetics meets the GM specs. I used it to change the oil in the wife's new car. Was $42 for 6 qts and a filter :dunno: Advanced auto had the listing noting the oil.

Pewter-Camaro

TCG Elite Member
May 28, 2011
South of Wisconsin.
...Average insurance costs for sedan owner are projected to rise 2.76 percent, or $28, to $1,029 a year....

Damn the average is over a grand a year for a sedan? I spend only $800 a year for full coverage on my Z28 and I have no other cars to lower the cost and am not married. Going to have to ask people at work how much they spend on insurance for their normal cars.

Got to say though Technology has been jacking up the price of all new car parts and labor. Shit gets expensive when the Mechanic had to pull the engine out for every little repair. I'll be keeping my car for a long while.

Outlaw

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jul 24, 2009
Johnsburg
I drove well over 30k last year... That's probably close for me getting 17mpg combined between my XJ and Sierra

-Sierra saw 27,000 miles in 2012 (5 oil changes at +/- $40 a piece, as well as $300 in synthetic fluids at 50,000 miles)
-Jeep saw about 6,500 miles (2 oil changes at $30 as well as about $1,200 in brakes, Trans servos, fluids, wheel bearings, u joints, and a whole shit ton of other stuff during 2012
-BMW saw about 1,500 from oct when I bought it to the end of the year

I also owned the Galant VR4 (put about 3k on that) and a Ranger for 1,500 or so....

To make it simple, lets just say an even 30k at 17mpg

My fuel cost alone for 2012 was $6,176 dollars for 30,000 miles at 17 mpg paying +/- $3.50/gallon

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info