GTP to a 01 WS6- Need input

JDrach

Apr 8, 2013
NW IN
Hey guys, I've been in contact with a gentleman from Northbrook who's selling a 2001 Trans Am WS6, pewter metallic. It's got 133k on the body. From what I've been told, it's stock and had a new engine put in that was under a warranty. This throws up a red flag for me. As well as not knowing how the transmission has been handled (its an A4). He says he's been up with maintenance since he bought it new in 2001, and its been daily driven til 2011. It has some cosmetic defects, a small crack in the fender. I can provide pictures to help you get an idea of what I'm talking about if needed.

Should I make the jump to the LS1? My 1998 Daytona GTP has 76k and i've put a good amount of work into to get it running well and modded it a little. I'm not sure if I should stay away from DD'ing a trans am such as this one, or just stay with the GTP. I would love an LS1, but just worried about the reliablility and don't want to shoot myself in the foot, especially since I feel my car's "special" cause you never see the 1998 Medium gulf blue daytonas around lol. Any input is greatly appreciated.

JDrach

Apr 8, 2013
NW IN
Cause being a poor college student, I'd have to get rid of one for another. Should've just got into the mills or a union after highschool like people I know, then I wouldn't have this dilemma. I drive a lot every day, and I enjoy driving and being around cars. I want my ride to be enjoyable, that's why I want to move to something fun, like an LS1. I live the style of the WS6, and don't really need to the room for passengers other than my backpack for classes, work equipment, and my gf lol

JDrach

Apr 8, 2013
NW IN
True. It's just would be nice to have that throttle response and power from the LS1 instead of spending a butt load for bolt ons for a GtP to make in almost as fast as one. Plus the V8 rumble >:). But then again, it's literally nothing to have this GTP. Runs good and is cheap to have. I don't want a money pit of fixes on an LS1 and idk how they are to work on, how reliable, and which vendors to get replacement parts from for maintenance.

Bru

Staff member
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
It won't be a problem if you find the right one. They're not very good stock as daily drivers with tons of rattles and flex at that mileage. Little things like subframe connectors and a good suspension go a long way in improving daily drivability - a stock 100,000 miles suspension makes these cars handle and ride like absolute shit. Gas mileage with the A4 will be atrocious compared to the GTP, even with the stock converter. Add a converter and gear and forget about checking mileage, it's pointless. Headers, lid and tune are good for a solid 12 sec car with drag radials while keeping stock reliability.

10sec

I haz dat teddy bear smile.
TCG Premium
Jul 26, 2008
I wouldn't do a turbo with out a cam, I would never own a 3800 again without a cam it's too easy to throw one in there and the gains in performance and exhaust note are well worth it

A 3800 with just a turbo kit can snap/stretch chains without any valve train modifications (cam, 1.9 rockers) so why make it less reliable by adding something it doesn't need?

1quick

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jan 29, 2008
coal city
Why would a cam make it unreliable, it has to be in the way the car is driven, I go wot atleast once every time I drive my car, normally 4-5 times just on my way to work I do rolling burn outs every time I drive it, I've never had the boost lower than 15-16lbs right around ware it makes 500whp and my chain looked fine after a few thousand miles and 10 or so track passes, if you turbo a wbody a chain becomes a maintenance item cam or no cam so why not have more fun

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info