What do you use to wash your car?

Bru

Staff member
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Which products do you use to wash your car? I'm just talking about soap, towels, process, etc. I'm looking to step up my wash routine with new products and am looking for ideas. Right now I just use generic Target-bought Turtle Wax soap with Adam's soft microfibers to dry and generic microfibers to wash.

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363
aint nobody got ttime fo dat.

i buy a big ol package of microfibers... go to the coin wash.

wash the car- pre soak- bring a bucket with soap (i think i buy pretty much whatever is on sale at advance) then use a fresh new awesome microfiber real quick and maker it not as dirtay... then continue the coin wash rinse then spot free rinse... and then dry in the bay because i am fast and awesome and don't give a fuck about making people wait.

:fy:

ktraver97ss

I say what everyone thinks
Aug 29, 2007
Roselle, IL
aint nobody got ttime fo dat.

i buy a big ol package of microfibers... go to the coin wash.

wash the car- pre soak- bring a bucket with soap (i think i buy pretty much whatever is on sale at advance) then use a fresh new awesome microfiber real quick and maker it not as dirtay... then continue the coin wash rinse then spot free rinse... and then dry in the bay because i am fast and awesome and don't give a fuck about making people wait.

:fy:

No fucking wonder you need your freshly painted car detailed. You at least need a wash mitt, a thin ass microfiber is going to apply pressure unevenly and cause scratches. You need something thick, like my package.:rollpicard:

ThirdgenTa

TCG Elite Member
Mar 17, 2008
Aurora
No fucking wonder you need your freshly painted car detailed. You at least need a wash mitt, a thin ass microfiber is going to apply pressure unevenly and cause scratches. You need something thick, like my package.:rollpicard:

Not to mention that the coin washers can only get so much dirt off. The rest you just grind into your paint while drying.

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363

I need my car that was painted over a year ago because it was over a year ago and my car sits outside more often than it should... Typically under pine trees... It's a 2001 gtp not a plasti dipped r8. I Gots really good mica fibres thick juicy ones that I fold up all good like.

Flyn

Go ahead. I'll catch up.
TCG Premium
Mar 1, 2004
Selling homes on the Gulf Coast of Florida
My kids...when they want something and I can't think of anything else that needs doing.

Seriously, the milder, the better with car wash soap. Try to stay as close to PH neutral as possible. Strong acid cleaners may affect glass and metals, especially if using them in the sun (which is a no no anyways) and strong alkalines may damage your rubber and paint as well as removing your wax.

That's why people use dishwashing soap for removing wax and road debris. It's a strong alkaline.

If you are doing a thorough cleaning, clay bar the car after washing and then begin the polish/wax process.

LOL! I searched and found this from a long time ago. http://www.thechicagogarage.com/forum/car-discussion/58929-mr-clean-auto-dry-uses-acid-your-car.html

Intel

TCG Elite Member
Oct 28, 2009
Palatine
If I am in the city and can't use a hose I use this on the daily.

ONR
Optimum No Rinse Wash & Shine 128 oz. Free Bonus!
Wash mitt
Black Onyx Micro-Chenille Wash Mitt, microfiber car wash mitt
3 Drying towels usually only need 2
3 Pack Cobra Guzzler HD Waffle Weave Drying Towels, 16 x 24 inches

I have a bucket that is split in 2 so I can do the two bucket method without hauling out 2 big 5 gallon ones.

Wash each panel with ONR and dry and move on to the next. If it is really dirty I will go to a diy wash place and spray her down. Have done this in 35-40 degree weather just fine. So far after a year no bad swirls.

On the Z at my parents house

2 5 gallon buckets with grit guard
Meguiars wash soap
2 mitts (One for wheels and one for body)
Dry it with electric leaf blower and finish with a plush microfiber.

Mazda is waxed with collinite 845 (lasts a long time on a daily driver.)
300zx is waxed with a caranuba that doesn't last nearly as long. Does need minor correction on it as it has some swirls.

smug

Please go back to eating crayons
TCG Premium
Aug 4, 2007
Cedar Lake, IN
Real Name
Dan Erickson
Mothers soap, its the yellow colored stuff lol
Chenille wash mitt
rinse
water blade
dry with an old clean bath towel. Seriously not trying to make a S00ls joke
Then wipe down entire car with Duragloss Aqua wax and a microfiber. Best spray wax/ quick detailer I have ever used in my entire life.

If I am feeling really crazy then I will spray cheap tire foam in the wheel wells to make them black again, use some meguire tire gel, and detail the engine bay with whatever.

slowchevy

eat ass drive fast
Sep 10, 2007
Mothers soap, its the yellow colored stuff lol
Chenille wash mitt
rinse
water blade
dry with an old clean bath towel. Seriously not trying to make a S00ls joke
Then wipe down entire car with Duragloss Aqua wax and a microfiber. Best spray wax/ quick detailer I have ever used in my entire life.

If I am feeling really crazy then I will spray cheap tire foam in the wheel wells to make them black again, use some meguire tire gel, and detail the engine bay with whatever.
I usually do the tire foam in the wheel wells every wash along with tire dressing. :dunno: I'm odd.

02BlueGT

No Fucks Have Been Given
Feb 21, 2008
Now apearing in Hanover Park
take a picture of the underside... the pinch welds.

Powder is Carpet Dust:
IMAG0837_zps16c658f6.jpg

Few specs on the floor pan:
IMAG0832_zps66a04a31.jpg

Very light surface rust on the Pinch welds (looks better in person)
IMAG0833_zpsdc1d1af5.jpg

Minty Pass. Side Frame rail:
IMAG0828_zpseead66a7.jpg

Small rust in the rear strut tower
IMAG0835_zps251c57d5.jpg

And Overall from the front:
IMAG0830_zpsc6cd966e.jpg

You're more than welcome to look under it next time I'm at lukes.

(All pics are cell phone pictures from December 2012, so 4 months ago :dunno: )

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info