Chains to Avoid: NTB (mini horror stories)

Dasfinc

Ready for the EVlution
Sep 28, 2007
Wheaton, IL
I felt that I had to share this since it seems to be a pattern developing with the increased frequency of calls I'm getting from friends and family.

I’d strongly recommend telling your non-car saavy friends and family to avoid NTB.

I have had friends of mine on multiple occasions in the past few months get told they needed fairly serious services that the cars did not actually need, and I never used to hear about it this frequently.

Two specifically stand out as I had my hands on the car after the 'quote':

I did new spark plugs, wires, cap and rotor on my friends accord. He went to NTB a month later, they told him he needed a full tune-up to the tune of $460 and that his spark plugs were bad… Turns out he had a CEL for O2 sensors (replaced them both, car ran perfectly even with the CEL).

This same friend of mine was told he had a crack in one of his rear brakes earlier in the week during an oil change, and that he needed $500 in brake repair for front and rear brakes. I pulled all the wheels off the car, and everything was immaculate, and all pads had 60% of life or more left on them. Some paint was flaking off the rear drums, probably because this was the cars first Chicago winter.

I understand people want to up-sell, and they are commission based, but this is getting out of hand with them trying to take advantage of people with an alarming frequency from different locations/branches and now with scare tactics!

The kicker here that really annoys me (again, I know buisnesses want to make money), is that he car had a CEL again (which they didn't offer any services, diagnostic or otherwise for), AND he needs new rear tires (camberworn), which they didn't make mention of...

Had they given him a quote for a Diagnostic on the CEL, and 2 rear tires, I would have told him to they were on-par. Instead they are going after things that don't actually NEED any service both times.

I used to recommend NTB to friends and family because many of my friends used to work there, and be honest/reputable.

cacicgtp7

Some Military Dude
Nov 9, 2008
Boston, MA
Real Name
John
I hate most chains TBH, they upsell everything and lie constantly.

The ENTIRE reason I started learning how to wrench on cars when I was 17 was because of Midas. Didn't know a single thing about cars beforehand, barely knew how to rotate tires. Went into a Midas with my first grand prix because my brakes were squeeling. They told me, I needed new Rotors and pads ON ALL FOUR CORNERS. 800 dollars they said. At 17 with no money, I literally almost shat myself.

One month later changed my own brakes with the help of a friend (turned out only my rear rotors needed changing), and 90 bucks later was a happy camper. From that point on, started reading and wrenching. I still think an auto mechanics class should be mandatory in high school. At least for the basics.

Donnie

Ethanol Junkie.
Jan 31, 2012
Uranus, Sol System
Don't even get me started on NTB... I was given an alignment plan as a gift with them a couple years ago, after bitching about not having access to a rack anymore. First time one of my cars went to them, I ended up an inch from a fist fight with the guy that did my car. Literally. Bumper pulled partially off, rashed and chewed up from getting dragged down the road and all four wheels a degree or more off from what I specified. I could get more into detail, but I'll just say their "Tech" got a little more than defensive when I called him out. :picard:

But I digress, I've heard tell of plenty of shenanigans as well. Such as people watching them apply oil to their low-mileage Shocks, then telling them they are leaking and need replaced. Though ever since I've found and noted the schedule of one awesome old-timer that works for them, I've never had a problem again. I just ensure I deal with him and him only.

Runtz52

Runs like a turtle with downs syndrome
Oct 7, 2008
Manhattan
Ive been there twice, once for an alignment (they did a good job on that) and then I got a coupon after the alignment for a $15.99 oil change, the car that i had gotten an alignment on had since been totaled and I was driving my gfs corolla and it needed a change so I figured fuck it. I go in they change said oil and then they try to upsell me on tons of shit, inner and outer tie rods, shocks, new tires etc. the total the guy told me was over $1300. I think he thought because I was driving a toyota that I dont have a clue about cars. Anyway a few days later I hear the top end of her car start ticking so I pop the hood... oil, oil everywhere the dipshit forgot to put the oil fill cap back on. Im fucking livid at this point her car is a over a quart low. I call up and bitch and the manager tells me "well people make mistakes" and yea I understand that but didnt even offer anything to fix the situation so i had to spend well over an hour cleaning all that oil out from under the hood. Fuck NTB

wolfe

in black sheep's clothing
Jun 2, 2008
Si Oh Em Pee Tee Oh En
I have firestone's lifetime alignment. It's paid for itself ten fold and they don't mind doing what I ask vs "within spec".

huh, that's the only good thing I've heard about them. I know a few people who've gone there and they always tell them everything on their car is about to fall of and kill them when it isn't.

Bob Kazamakis

I’m the f-ing lizard king
TCG Premium
Oct 24, 2007
Denver
Real Name
JK
The one by me is fine. No bullshit; make an appointment, show up, tell them what I want done specifically alignment wise, wait an hour, then leave. They don't drive it, they don't dick around and I've always left with the car feeling great.

Only thing they do is my alignment. I don't pay people to do anything else :dunno:

SuperDaveGSE

Hole Enlarger
May 14, 2009
Antioch,Il
The NTB up here is pretty straight forward, I've only gone to them for quick checks and maybe a tire changed out. But for the most part its all about the hunt for that one place with the one straight up no fucking around knows his shit kinda guy. I can almost guarantee you wont find anyone in the city that is like that, anywhere you go in the Chicago land area is going to be full of losers that think they are ASE master techs because they watched a video. I worked for JL for over 10 years, we had some straight up dickfors come through the doors and work. I couldn't believe some of the people I had to train and so how to do certain thing that were the simplest things to do on a car. Also part of the problem is that 99% of these chains are franchise so the only fucks they give is how much $ they can get from you. Quality work and quality techs are hard to come by nowadays for sure. :dunno:

SinisterSHO

Tame Racing Driver
Jul 20, 2007
I had the one by me align my track car to my specs and was happy.

However, when I wanted them to flip a tire on a rim, they weren't very happy when called and said they did nothing. The guy got upset and said he watched him do it. I told him, he did something, but he put the tire on the exact same way. They fixed it, was just pissed I had to go back.

nytebyte

Not Politically Correct
Mar 2, 2004
Wow, never been to NTB and after reading this, never will.

If I ever need something fixed that I either don't have the tools or time for, I have a local guy down the street who owns his own shop. He's been there for decades.

I bring in the car and say "I need X fixed". He says "OK I will fix X".
I come back later and "X" is fixed. End of story.
That's the way it should be done.

Intel

TCG Elite Member
Oct 28, 2009
Palatine
Oh you wanted an alignment. Ah yes your struts/brakes and everything else that is easy money needs to be fixed.

There is one I go to where they had a guy who would get the alignment on the Z just right. Now it is too low to get on the rack so I am bringing it to Thalmans this year as they have an inground rack.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info