1964 Plymouth Belvedere on Nascar chassis

Bru

Staff member
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
If you dig this stuff then you have to subscribe to Hot Rod Magazine. They're on a roll and I recently renewed my subscription for three years. Saw this feature car in a recent issue. The chassis of this Belvedere has raced at Daytona in the 500. The builders altered the suspension to turn right and left with equal length upper control arms but most other components just needed adjustability that was already there.

Hot Rod Magazine: We spotted this Plymouth at 2012 SEMA and instantly fell in love. It was built by Ray Evernham at Ray Evernham Enterprises in Mooresville, North Carolina. Itā€™s a 1964 Plymouth Belvedere sitting on a NASCAR Sprint Cup Car of Tomorrow that raced at the Daytona 500 in 2008. Itā€™s powered by a Dodge 358ci NASCAR engine that ran in both Kasey Kahne and Bill Elliottā€™s Superspeedway cars.

The engine was detuned in order to be more streetable, as if 750hp is a streetable figure. Fuel injection for NASCAR Sprint Cup is new for the 2013 NASCAR Sprint Cup season, so this engine originally ran a carburetor. FAST, a division of the Comp Performance group, supplied a fuel injection system similar to that of a Holley EFI that NASCAR Sprint Cup will be running. The engine has a FAST ECU that controls injection and timing, but it does not have coil packs like that of a NASCAR Spring Cup Car, rather a traditional distributor. It still features an MSD ignition box, but only one for the now street engine, but it does have two batteries for turning over the high torque starter. COMP also helped out with a custom ground cam because this Plymouth will see more than just a Super Speedway, although, ā€œThis car is capable of 200 mph,ā€ Ray Evernham said with a smirk.

Fuel? Yeah, itā€™s pump gas 93 Octane in North Carolina. The team had local engine builder Darrell Hoffman help assemble some of the engine. The 12:1 compression pistons were replaced for custom ordered flat-top pistons that are shorter than the wrist pins, resulting in roughly 11:1 compression.

Read more: You Rank It! Ray Evernham's 1964 Plymouth Belvedere Stock Car - Hot Rod Magazine Blog
Follow us: @HotRodMagazine on Twitter | HotRodMag on Facebook

RayPlymouthSmall-623x415.jpg

IMG_4246-650x386.jpg

engine1-650x433.jpg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_FomFtV1h74

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SyD8GJTN7mY

Bob Kazamakis

Iā€™m the f-ing lizard king
TCG Premium
Oct 24, 2007
Denver
Real Name
Joel
It took a dive when he left and I almost didn't renew and then it just got awesome again when he came back. I want them to do a garage spread on all his cars. He sounds like he's got a ton of them from complete junk to things like the F bomb

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info