cleaning disgusting wheels...?

hellraiser319

Hellraising since 1986
May 17, 2010
West Bend, WI
So, picked up some American Racing Snipers off CL a couple months ago, they looked like crap, but $100. I'm using them on the Ass-fire, new tires and everything. To make them look less horrible, I plasti-dipped them to at least get through the winter.

Well... spring is fast approaching, plasti-dip is not holding up, I figure it's time to clean them up and either get them shiny again, or paint them if they are a lost cause. Basically, looks like a ton of caked on brake material that is just stuck hopelessly to the finish, one I was able to shine back up [the best one], the rest, they are gross. Tried chrome polish which kinda worked but was a lot of work [about hour on the cleanest rim], random household cleaners but not much happens, I think I tried Never-Dull but don't remember....

I'll try to post a pic tonight of how bad they are if I can find it, but any suggestions? If I were to take a powerful pressure washer to them [seemed I was making slow progress in the car wash an inch off them], how much do I have to worry about destroying my new tires? Anything else to try?

Edit:

2012-10-16_20-41-40_840_zpsf8ecae98.jpg

Last edited:

hellraiser319

Hellraising since 1986
May 17, 2010
West Bend, WI
They appear to be just a polished aluminum finish, Simple Green was on the list of things to try.

If I can get them shiny again, that would be best, I wouldn't mind painting them if that's out of reach, possibly doing a much better job of PDing them, but all that crud needs to go first. First PD didn't last a week in the cruddy spots :\

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info