Dan's Emissions Learning Experiance (Obtaining an Exemption)

Dasfinc

Ready for the EVlution
Sep 28, 2007
Wheaton, IL
So the BMW is a 1997, and I confirmed with the EPA a year ago that this wouldn't be an issue come crunch time.

Its Crunch time, I titled the car a year ago, and is just days away from running, and from having its plates expire...

So here is the run-down:

Obtain 'collector car' insurance -
Haggerty - $434 every 6 months Quote
American Collectors Insurance - $234 a year Quote
Condon Skelly - $226 a year Quote

Ensure the declaration page states:

Show car
-or-
Exhibition Automobile

(Obviously have to call them to make sure of this as the wording is Key, was warned by EPA lady)

Fax this form:

http://www.epa.state.il.us/air/vim/pdf/show-car.pdf

To: 217-524-5084

Wait about an hour.

Call: 217-524-7878 (Just need your plate number) and confirm they received it and you are good to go.

Go: To DMV and get your renewal sticker. Exemption is good for 2 years.

Dasfinc

Ready for the EVlution
Sep 28, 2007
Wheaton, IL
wouldnt it be easier to register it at a friends house in a county that does not do emission testing?

In all honesty, No.

If you aren't on the mailbox, they may not deliver the title to the address. A RTS back to the DMV, means you won't be likely to see that title again.

Which means to be 100% sure I'd get the title I'd have to get a PO box out in like Mazon (which was the origional plan), but that's STILL a pain in the ass because I'd have to pay for the PO box, and drive out there to get the title etc.

Since I don't commute via Car, and don't plan on driving this car daily, there are really no faults with doing it this way. I'm 100% legal, and its actually just as cheap to insure this 'legit' with an absolute value with them knowning what it is Vs. insurance it with my primary carrier, who could very well decline my claim if I do get into an accident.

Stipulations for collector car insurance is no SR22 obviously and no crazy number of claims/citations etc. You also MUST have another car insured under your name (to try to ensure that the collector car isn't your DD).

I feel pretty good about this, I didn't realize it would be so cut and dry after being on the phone with insurance carriers and the EPA. Everybody makes it sound like a huge PITA.

I will follow up in a few days once I have the new sticker in my hand of course.

Dasfinc

Ready for the EVlution
Sep 28, 2007
Wheaton, IL
why don't you just register it at your address and then once you got the title... "move"

my gtp is registered in wisconsin to a cabin and i never had to do anything with the title...

Because there are laws about that... Granted the enforcement is lax, but the law is something like you have 30 or 90 days to update your drivers license and registration when moving.

So technically if a cop tags you in your GP for speeding, and makes mention that the car is registered to WI, and your license is IL (and was issued more than 30 or 90 days before that days date), he can cite you for it.

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363
yeah not at all. thats bullshit. :rofl:

just say this is my car that i typically keep up north... took it home for a bit while my other car is getting worked on.

i have been pulled over 4 times since my car got registered here.

just cuz I figured out a way around the system like you that wasn't your idea doesn't make it wrong.

Dasfinc

Ready for the EVlution
Sep 28, 2007
Wheaton, IL
yeah not at all. thats bullshit. :rofl:

just say this is my car that i typically keep up north... took it home for a bit while my other car is getting worked on.

i have been pulled over 4 times since my car got registered here.

WOW, the law is 10 days:

Address Change

Regardless, this isn't costing me anything more than dancing around emissions, and puts me 100% within the law for my insurance, and me driving the car etc. Just wanted to share :jg:

Dasfinc

Ready for the EVlution
Sep 28, 2007
Wheaton, IL
you're saying that you can't own cars registered to other homes and locations and states?

most vacation houses would have illegal vehicles all over them then... :rofl:

If you own the vacation home of course the car can be titled/registered there.

You are talking about a house you have nothing to do with :rofl:

yeah... that is if your license changes not your vehicle registration or location.

That's for both it looks like reading that article. :dunno:

Regardless, this is all just a pleasant surprise, was really expecting it to be a battle with weeks of waiting for letters etc.

Dasfinc

Ready for the EVlution
Sep 28, 2007
Wheaton, IL
your car probably still isn't legitimate though... doesn't every car newer than some year "need" a cat- collector/bullshit aside captain technicality.

I think the law is just that you can't 'tamper with emissions control devices'

As my car is a hybrid swap, and is a show/race car in the eyes of the EPA/DMV, I can't think of any law that I'd be breaking honestly.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info