Pretty sure I've chosen my first bike. Input?

Donnie

Ethanol Junkie.
Jan 31, 2012
Uranus, Sol System
I've been half-assedly looking for a good year or two, but I'm now pretty positive I've made my Mind. Buell Blast.

I'm not the biggest guy, 5'9"-150 and I'd like something easy to ride and maintain that yields great MPGs but is quick enough to commute from the Midway area to the Northside for work. Everything I've read and been told leads me to believe this would be a great choice. Plus, Thumper FTW. lol.

Thoughts and experience?

Donnie

Ethanol Junkie.
Jan 31, 2012
Uranus, Sol System
They have rectifier problems. Basically a dead battery out of no where and your stuck.

Never heard about that. Correctable?

I use to want a Buell Llightning. Heard lots of good and bad about Buell in general. Biggest issue i heard was what Tom said.
For me the bike was to tall. The way the exhaust went on the Lightning, I could only lower it so much. It was still going to be a tip toe'r for me.

Unf. Love those, waaaay out of my league though. That's another of the reasons I dig the Blasts though, things are fucking tiny. Even with the tall seat on them, I fit with room to spare.

I was talking to one of my buddies, a Harley tech, the other night. He was saying that some of the Buells have a clunky gearbox that's difficult for some guys to acclimate to. Isn't an issue per-say, but could anyone comment on that?

Mr Baytchos

TCG Elite Member
Jul 8, 2007
Cortland, IL
Real Name
Anthony
I would look into a Japanese 600 over a blast.

Yamaha FZ6
Suzuki SV (v-twin)
Kawasaki ER6n

Both the Suzuki and Kawasaki are smaller bikes. I would check them out.

You don't realize how fast you grow into the bike. I was nervous about getting the 1000 I have and am super glad I did. I would have outgrown a smaller bike already.

Turtle

Addict
Mar 21, 2011
How does one out grow a bike? Your typical rider will never push a 600 ss to 70% of its limits or so I've heard. Are u talking speed or handling department?

I went from a gs500 to a sv650 mainly because I wanted FI and I got more then what I paid for the 500. I don't see how I can out grow my SV. Other then the factor it has horrible stock suspension.

willsmysticcobra

Classifieds Mod
Mar 3, 2006
Algonquin
I can relate to the sense of out growing. My first official bike was a 2003 GSX-R 750 and size wise I was always a bit tall on it being 6'3. But you get used to the power the bike has and can push it to its redline limit and it is terrifying at first, but alas you begin to get more comfortable and your skill level grows. Now the comfort and new found skill is not to be taken for granted as the bike WILL come to bite you in the ass if you over step your boundaries and limits. I now ride a 1340cc sport bike and can say I will never need more power than what this bike can produce. It is straight up violent.

Flyn

Go ahead. I'll catch up.
TCG Premium
Mar 1, 2004
Selling homes on the Gulf Coast of Florida
I now ride a 1340cc sport bike and can say I will never need more power than what this bike can produce. It is straight up violent.

Your kids will want more...

We used to think jumping 20' on dirt bikes was really cool. Look at what the young guys do now. They frigging get OFF the bike while in the middle of a huge jump.

For OP, I'd look in other directions than a Buell. There are reasons you don't see them all over the streets.

Mr Baytchos

TCG Elite Member
Jul 8, 2007
Cortland, IL
Real Name
Anthony
Outgrowing mainly just the fact that you get used to it and your skill level passes up what the bike can do.

I used to have snowmobiles as well and it was the same thing. I started off with a phazer and as I got better at riding the sled couldn't handle what I wanted to do. So I picked up a RX1 and the experience was so much better.

I can't imagine the 35hp a blast produces will keep you excited to ride after a while. But that's just me and my .02

cacicgtp7

Some Military Dude
Nov 9, 2008
Boston, MA
Real Name
John
I would look somewhere else than a Buell because of reliability purposes. Especially if it's a first bike, and you aren't familiar with fixing things on it.

Most are also much more torquey than other types of bikes where the power comes on later. (I'm not 100% familiar with the model you're looking at though).

I would look into a Japanese 600 over a blast.

Yamaha FZ6
Suzuki SV (v-twin)
Kawasaki ER6n

This is a great list to start with, there's some other models you could add here as well.

Donnie

Ethanol Junkie.
Jan 31, 2012
Uranus, Sol System
I'm using it as a learner, followed by a simple gas sipping commuter. I like having a few thousand pounds of steel around me when I go fast. :lmao:

I've looked at the bikes mentioned above, and they're honestly priced a bit high for my tastes. Especially with the potential for it getting set down a few times. I've ridden dirt bikes, but this will be the first for the street, so I do know it will happen.

The technical side is no issue. A small engine is a small engine and I have access to a few HD techs. Do keep the discussion going though. I'm all for constructive discourse, especially on something major like this. Pros and Cons, Pros and Cons of comparable models, etc. :bigthumb:

XD 419

It's Legal
Mar 18, 2013
buell firebolt xb12r or the lightening. its sporty its handleing is outstanding just like every buell. gets 50mpg and its a torque monster. gastank is built in to the frame and the oil is in the swingarm witch translates to leaning till the elbow slides. down side is it has a harley Vtwin in it and its air/oil cooled, its a dog on the highway. you have to deal with harley for parts (MajorDownside because every harley ive been to they know didly squat but ive always enjoyed watching actually harley riders get pissed off at how terrible there service is. pretty sure its a universal thing) just HARLEY ingeneral is the downside but after 2009 buell left and started EBR i dont not know if he is makin anything other then 40k track bikes. if you know nothing about buell dont worry alot of people dont, they just hate it cause they never riden a 2009 1125cr they use an aprilia engine for that model. things sick when your comfortable i would highly recommend hunting this bike down but be warned very easy to loop.

Turtle

Addict
Mar 21, 2011

But the SV and take off the fairings for a couple months. After u drop it a couple of times and learn then u can put on the fairings and cover up most of the damage. No one will ever know minus the damage to the tail section and get new frame sliders.

cacicgtp7

Some Military Dude
Nov 9, 2008
Boston, MA
Real Name
John
buell firebolt xb12r or the lightening. its sporty its handleing is outstanding just like every buell. gets 50mpg and its a torque monster. gastank is built in to the frame and the oil is in the swingarm witch translates to leaning till the elbow slides. down side is it has a harley Vtwin in it and its air/oil cooled, its a dog on the highway. you have to deal with harley for parts (MajorDownside because every harley ive been to they know didly squat but ive always enjoyed watching actually harley riders get pissed off at how terrible there service is. pretty sure its a universal thing) just HARLEY ingeneral is the downside but after 2009 buell left and started EBR i dont not know if he is makin anything other then 40k track bikes. if you know nothing about buell dont worry alot of people dont, they just hate it cause they never riden a 2009 1125cr they use an aprilia engine for that model. things sick when your comfortable i would highly recommend hunting this bike down but be warned very easy to loop.

Who is this guy? lol

Yeah liter Buell bike for a beginner. Bravo, you're a genius.

ajdereicup

Measly little 4.6 2v in a boat
Oct 30, 2012
Lombard
Get a rebel. Small. Efficient. Cheap. Reliable. Disposable. And then customize it as questionably as possible with frilly things gay exhaust etc

Honda%20Rebel%202005.JPG

:fy:

On a side note do you already have your M liscense or whatever the motorcycle letter is (don't have my wallet with me right now to check). But you'll probably want to take the test on a smaller bike. Makes the test a hell of a lot easier with the tight corners and BS they make you do. Theres a reason they rent out rebels for people to take the test with

Donnie

Ethanol Junkie.
Jan 31, 2012
Uranus, Sol System
Used for sure! I'm looking older, but with decent upkeep. I had seen a few for around a grand last season, though there seems to be a lot less out there so far this year.

Not really feeling the Cruiser look. I don't doubt I'll be hunting out twisties shortly after getting my "Sea Legs" if you follow.

You guys are great. Thanks for the input so far!

cacicgtp7

Some Military Dude
Nov 9, 2008
Boston, MA
Real Name
John
^ And I know tons of people who dumped their brand new off the floor bikes within a week of having them. Some on driveways, one taking a right hand turn out of the dealership, and others totaling them with low and high sides...

What's your point? Every one's mileage may vary on "what they've seen" in their time of riding, but the truth of the matter is MOST accidents happen with brand new riders, just like MOST car accidents are found in the age bracket of 16-20. Why? Because you're still learning, and have a lot to learn and that much more of a chance at an accident. Bikes are easy to drop, period. It's not that he 100% will, but it's a much better idea for someone brand new to get something used that they aren't going to cry over if they do drop as opposed to a brand new bike. Just common sense. You don't give your 16 year old keys to a brand new show room corvette, but this is just one guys opinion.

BS ISF

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 24, 2012
WEST BURBS
SV650 gets my vote. good handling, enough power to start, cheap parts if needed and won't yank the front up and slap you in the chest as a noob. all around great starter bike and very affordable to boot.

FYI, i started on a 03 kawi 636 and did track days for 4 years. first year guys on sv650's were smoking me around the track.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info