Learn me some duramax stuff. (dad bought a '12)

Shibby50

TCG Elite Member
Mar 30, 2008
Braidwood, IL
My dad finally broke down and traded in his 6.0 for a 2012 duramax. :pedobear:

Bought it as a leftover New truck. Immediately got the mod bug, but we know nothing of diesels or the drivelines.
So far he's just got the basics out of the way, tint, fitted mud flaps, rhino lined wheel wells and bed etc.

So the big question here is, is it worth voiding the warranty to do an intake/ exhaust (dpf delete) and tuner?
Do the stock drivelines hold up well to these mods for a long time? The truck will see probably less then 5k a year on it except to tow the camper down south hunting and my car to the track aside from weekend cruising. And he does not plan on lifting it or anything except maybe bigger tires. Ill try and post pics later.
Any insight/ enlightenment on this would help a lot as I'm not sure what direction to lead him in lol.

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363
me personally- i don't know much about the newer ones here... but i would get bigger tires at a minimum on it real quick. the factory tires are barely big enough to fill up a stock cherokee's wheel housing let alone that of a full size beastly truck.

and in my head...i always feel like if i am buying tires, i might as well buy wheels i like too.

does exhaust for sure void the warrantY? i'd stay away from doing an intake- from older stuff that i know it barely does anything typically.

Shibby50

TCG Elite Member
Mar 30, 2008
Braidwood, IL
me personally- i don't know much about the newer ones here... but i would get bigger tires at a minimum on it real quick. the factory tires are barely big enough to fill up a stock cherokee's wheel housing let alone that of a full size beastly truck.

and in my head...i always feel like if i am buying tires, i might as well buy wheels i like too.

does exhaust for sure void the warrantY? i'd stay away from doing an intake- from older stuff that i know it barely does anything typically.

It has the forged 20's on it so the tires dont look like the car tires that come on the 18's lol. It'll get bigger ones eventually, but these are brand new and there's just no need for it quite yet.

RICH17

Dr. Pussy Slayer, MD
TCG Premium
Nov 14, 2008
The 007
Real Name
Adam Rich
I"d definately look at a tuner and exhaust. But it will void your warranty. The intake could benefit froma K&N drop in I'm sure tho.

Drivetrain should hold up just fine but I would look into a trans temp gauge to monitor things while towing

Shibby50

TCG Elite Member
Mar 30, 2008
Braidwood, IL
Quick pic of it barely fitting in the garage lol

281vc74.jpg

Shibby50

TCG Elite Member
Mar 30, 2008
Braidwood, IL
I"d definately look at a tuner and exhaust. But it will void your warranty. The intake could benefit froma K&N drop in I'm sure tho.

Drivetrain should hold up just fine but I would look into a trans temp gauge to monitor things while towing

The Allison's come with a built in temp gauge :fy:

We know it'll void the warranty, was just looking into how well they hold up to the basic mods like that. Trying to see if he should be worried about it really. He is 50 btw not like me where it'll get the shit beat out if it everyday.

Bru

Staff member
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Even if you turn the tune back to stock, the techs will know it's been tuned. There are provisions in place to specifically catch modded tuned diesels because of the common parts failures once they're cookin with a tune. Can't remember all the specifics and couldn't verify for certain, but a GM diesel engineer told us this at a dinner when the new HDs first came out a few years ago. But it sounds like you're prepared to void the warranty anyway :rofl:

Shibby50

TCG Elite Member
Mar 30, 2008
Braidwood, IL
Even if you turn the tune back to stock, the techs will know it's been tuned. There are provisions in place to specifically catch modded tuned diesels because of the common parts failures once they're cookin with a tune. Can't remember all the specifics and couldn't verify for certain, but a GM diesel engineer told us this at a dinner when the new HDs first came out a few years ago. But it sounds like you're prepared to void the warranty anyway :rofl:

He's pretty torn on it. It's his first NEW truck he's ever bought but he says he's getting old and wants to enjoy it lol. We know that they can see even when it's put back to stock this was more of trying to figure out if the truck can handle the basic mods pretty easily or if they die pretty fast from just a tune and bolt ons. We have no friends with trucks so were kinda going from scratch

ktraver97ss

I say what everyone thinks
Aug 29, 2007
Roselle, IL
Yeah Im sure he will be fine with it tuned and exhaust, only being driven that much and like you said he is not going to be launching it and doing burnouts and shit. Id get one of the bullydog deals so you can change the tune on the fly from economy to different power levels. That with a nice free flowing exhaust would make that truck fun. have him keep an eye on trans temps and get a bigger cooler if he sees any high temps after the tune or while towing. I would also level it and stuff some bigger meats in there, but thats me.

Also, I am mega-jelly, thats a sick truck.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info