Tig Weldor

Wild White Pony

TCG Elite Member
Oct 13, 2012
Ok, I see your in Batavia, If I brought out the pipes could you weld up the bungs while I wait so I don't have to make another trip back to pickup? If so I'll PM you the pics of what I need done and shoot me back a cost. Nothin difficult I'd do it myself but only have stick and mig.

Csurane24

I like big butts and I can not lie
Jan 30, 2010
Crete
Ok, I see your in Batavia, If I brought out the pipes could you weld up the bungs while I wait so I don't have to make another trip back to pickup? If so I'll PM you the pics of what I need done and shoot me back a cost. Nothin difficult I'd do it myself but only have stick and mig.

If you switch your stick machine from reverse (stinger in positive, ground in negative) to straight polarity (ground in positive, stinger in negative) the machine would function as tig welding is done. You'd need argon and a tig torch though

Wild White Pony

TCG Elite Member
Oct 13, 2012
If you switch your stick machine from reverse (stinger in positive, ground in negative) to straight polarity (ground in positive, stinger in negative) the machine would function as tig welding is done. You'd need argon and a tig torch though

True, but not worth the purchase of spool n tip and gas, plus I don't have the proper feeder gripper less the shorter cable so it dosn't bind up.

Wild White Pony

TCG Elite Member
Oct 13, 2012
Tig welding is hand wire fed. No spools needs, you can get filler wire and use that. As far as tip I'm not sure what your getting at. I have like 10 tig torches in my garage, you hook the stinger to the end and screw in your gas line.

Ok, I didn't read carfully you mentioned the stick welder, I thought you were refering to mig with the aluminum wire option.

I still wouldn't want to buy a tip and gas just for this little bit of welding.

Csurane24

Jan 30, 2010
Crete
Tig torch in this pick.

525144_528922817127528_1511639147_n_zps8cccc70e.jpg

hand feeding wire

406737_528923350460808_1239311159_n_zps0be13f49.jpg

Oh and that's me doing some chrome welds. That's why the pipe is wrapped, it's at a 400 degree preheat

Csurane24

Jan 30, 2010
Crete
I've seen those arc machines that you can tig weld with like your sayin, the problem with tig welding is practice, you quickly loose that skill if you don't do it often. While I still use my mig and once in a while the arc, it's been years since I've used a tig welder.

Eh, it's like riding a bike. I didn't weld for a couple years and I'm back on exotic metals like stainless, chrome, monel... It comes back easy. We weld a little different than the rest. our welds get x-rayed plus a shit ton of other test done to it. We can't just slap metal together, it needs to be perfect.

Csurane24

Jan 30, 2010
Crete
Sounds like you did this for a living or at least a serious hobby with all the machines you have. Maybe someday I'll pick up a tig machine and pick it up as a hobby but for now I'll just let a professional handle it. The 3" piping is pretty thin and not good for a novice weldor like me.

Lol actually I don't even have a machine in my garage... I have parts for stuff at work, and yes I do it for a living. I think that's why I don't do it on the side, I do it enough at work.

daturbosix

HNIC @ GoodFellas Garage
TCG Sponsor
Mar 2, 2008
Aurora
Real Name
Jeff
yeah PM me what you got.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info