Last E85 thread I promise.

TCG Member 5219

TCG Elite Member
Mar 22, 2005
So I still really want to do this. But isnt there a sensor that can tell what the ethanol content of the E85 really is, and interface with the stock GM ECU to adjust whatever is needed accordingly? I have heard that something like this does work with the corvettes, and just needs to be installed and tuned. I would like to use it for only E85 and making sure if I get E75 or something, it will keep the car safe, while still taking advantage of the power increase. Does this exist??

Donnie

Ethanol Junkie.
Jan 31, 2012
Uranus, Sol System
So I still really want to do this. But isnt there a sensor that can tell what the ethanol content of the E85 really is, and interface with the stock GM ECU to adjust whatever is needed accordingly? I have heard that something like this does work with the corvettes, and just needs to be installed and tuned. I would like to use it for only E85 and making sure if I get E75 or something, it will keep the car safe, while still taking advantage of the power increase. Does this exist??

FlexFuel sensor. No idea on stock PCM interfacing with one, my knowledge on them is limited to use with Standalone EMS.

Not really necessary either way. Tune on E85, when you get stuck with E70 or something, you'll just go slightly rich. (I'm buzzed, so I might have that backward. lol.)

Isn't that basically what a knock sensor does and pulls timing accordingly?

I ran e85 in my dsm, but it had a built motor and I I got it so cheap that I didn't care. My wideband was adjusted for the e85.

Adjusted? Why? Stoich is Stoich, be it on 93 or E70.

Pressure Ratio

TCG Premium
Nov 11, 2005
Glen Ellyn
FlexFuel sensor. No idea on stock PCM interfacing with one, my knowledge on them is limited to use with Standalone EMS.

Not really necessary either way. Tune on E85, when you get stuck with E70 or something, you'll just go slightly rich. (I'm buzzed, so I might have that backward. lol.)

Adjusted? Why? Stoich is Stoich, be it on 93 or E70.

Yes, richer with E70 if tuned on E85. I asked in his last thread if these cars came stock with wideband o2 sensors and used o2 correction in the tune. No feedback on that either.

Ear Rak

Underemployed
Nov 11, 2005
Fort Worth, TX
Forewarning: What I say below is based on how Toyota flex fuel vehicles (especially the Tundra) work so dont take it as fact towards your chebby.

Now, from what I've seen, with the flex fuel vehicles that come through the shop, the computer, even with all the sensors in the world, still has to recognize a certain fill up/start/drive procedure to recognize the amount of ethanol.

Example. We had a truck come in with this problem.

2010 Tundra with a flex fuel 5.7L v8:
- Guy had filled up with 93 octane pump its whole life (roughly 35k miles). He one day decided to fill up with E85 simply because its cheaper. He filled up, started the truck and drove off like a batt out of hell like he normally does. Truck ends up in the shop not being able to Idle or go about 45 mph. Shop foreman/Toyota Master Tech tries to diag truck to no avail. Calls corporate tech and they explain that the vehicle has to be started and driven to a certain (in a relaxed way, but still have to follow some basic steps) procedure to allow the vehicle to adjust for the E85.

Long story short, the tech had to completely reset the computer in the truck to reset the fuel mapping and then tell the customer first hand to follow p.112 in his owner manual refering how to properly fill the truck up and drive the truck in the process of switching between the fuel types.

Again, I'm not commenting on your car specifically, but I imagine the chevy's arent too far off in terms of how a factory flex fuel sensor/programming works.

1quick

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jan 29, 2008
coal city
I don't think the flex sensor can communicate with a stock non flex fuel ecu, all the vettes I've seen using them were running pro efi engine management, I would not worry about testing it until you add boost, I don't test it just get an afr gauge so you can watch what's going on

willizm

Very Nice, Very Evil
TCG Premium
May 13, 2009
The Woodlands, TX
E85 smells like peanuts and farts. OP, its a matter of whether or not your PCM can support an inline flex fuel sensor. If it can with relative ease then I'd say its a better deal as it will proactively pull timing and richen the afr to accommodate for less ethanol. It's better than your car reactivity pulling timing when the knock sensors begin to detect KR.

willizm

Very Nice, Very Evil
TCG Premium
May 13, 2009
The Woodlands, TX
Off topic but willizm do you still have some of that drum of e85 left I'm gonna need some good stuff around the end of the month for tuning, well I hope i will anyway, I will bring beer and cash lol

I do have some if you need it. I can only spare about 5 gallons though as I've been using quite a bit for tuning lately. Will that work?

willizm

Very Nice, Very Evil
TCG Premium
May 13, 2009
The Woodlands, TX
Pretty much everything seems to use the GM flex sensor. I'll be using it this year.

Yeah but you are on a stand alone correct? My stock PCM is older so it doesn't have the capability. That is why I have to test my fuel and datalog often while making sure the e85 i use is consistent. Now whether or not the pcm in the vette can support flexfuel sensors is the question. If it doesn't from factory, I would be surprised if it could in the aftermarket without swapping PCMs all together or going standalone which is far more headache than what it's worth for the OP's car. However if the stock pcm can accomidate for a flexfuel sensor than that is titties!!!

1quick

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jan 29, 2008
coal city
I do have some if you need it. I can only spare about 5 gallons though as I've been using quite a bit for tuning lately. Will that work?

Snap, I would need close to 10 prolly I have to be close to a half tank to keep the fuel bucket full, I may just order some there used to be a place that had hot blended e85 I think it was e98 cut down to e85 with race gas rather than the junk they use at the pump thank you for the offer tho

1quick

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jan 29, 2008
coal city
Snap, I would need close to 10 prolly I have to be close to a half tank to keep the fuel bucket full, I may just order some there used to be a place that had hot blended e85 I think it was e98 cut down to e85 with race gas rather than the junk they use at the pump thank you for the offer tho

I think it was rocket brand race gas that made it I've never tried it but thought it looked cool, you can also buy e98

1quick

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jan 29, 2008
coal city
Boomba racing was selling 5 gallon cans of e98 a couple years ago that's the only reason I know that lol, the place I work for sells what they use to make ethanol un drinkable I'm going to do some research and see if I can buy direct from an ethanol plant to blend my own since there is a 110 pump right down the road from me

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info