Time for a Duramax....help

The Bluegrass Nomad

Five-oh ho no mo
Feb 4, 2011
Sadieville, KY
So I finally convinced my wife into letting me get another truck since I will be selling off my DD Cherokee. I've been told to stay away from 2004 and older but never got a clear explanation as to why, and I would prefer prior to 2007 because I'm not a fan of the body styling. I've come across a few clean 2002 and 2003 models with lower mileage, but I have the fear of the unknown. I know they have the injector issue as do all duramaxs, but is there any reason to stay away from the older duramaxs? Are my fears irrational or should I get an 04.5 or newer?

Thanks

RICH17

Dr. Pussy Slayer, MD
TCG Premium
Nov 14, 2008
The 007
Real Name
Adam Rich
I believe the 2006 LBZ is suppose to be the best. I could be wrong.

Also when Brian picked up his 6.0 Powerstroke Excursion, he went with the aftermarket warranty that included everything. Well worth the extra $ IMO. Right now its in for n alternator and they're looking to see if it has a head problem or not

(blueish) smoke at idle. lb7 is a great motor but as others have stated all lb7 trucks(01-04) r going to have injector isues at one point or another. the extended factory warranty on the lb7 injectors was 7yrs or 200k. i have over 100k on this set of injectors and i know im going to have replace them in the next 20k. if u can get an 04.5 and up it would be ideal. lbz is the strongest motor without all of the emissions shit on the exhuast. also your fuel mileage will be reduced if you get a truck with the new emissions (07.5-13)

research thedieselplace.com & duramaxforum.com

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363
alright here we go.

gm.

2001-2004.5=lb7

injector issues.

not if, but when. soem are good for a long time... injectors leak and fill the crank case full of fuel. not a fun job to fix but doable- injectors are inside of the valvecovers and require a special tool to remove, additionally the injectors are 300+ ish each.

they make good power and get good mileage, and most of the "fast" duramaxes are these motors.

2004.5-2005=lly

5 speed allison just like previous years... engines got the injectors outsdie of the valve covers... have a thing with overheating tho... which is fixable with different "mouthpiece"

2006=lbz or lly- mechanically the same as lb7- with 6 speed allison but not the same gnarly tune as a 07 lbz which was only available in the nbs (old body style for 2007) strucks.

6 speed allison is sweet and overheating issue was figured out

those are about the only gm's youll find around 15k possibly.

ford.

7.3. nutswingers like a gtr at an import night. they ended in 03.5... some 03s have em- lots have the 6.0
decent mileage... i drove a 7.3 excursion to wyoming and got 18mpg going 78mph... if this isn't decent mileage i don't know what is... can't be made very quick very easily- unlike the 6.0/cummins/duramax. easier to go faster in other diesels.

6.0 03.5-05... this engine is why the 7.3 is famous. egr delete is necessary imo on any 6.0... the egr is cooled by coolant from the engine, when it passes through the hot egr, it superheats the coolant and thats why you hear about popped head gaskets... i personally don't know what got better in the next gen 6.0 and you would have to find out to quote me, but many people like the newer 6.0s quite a bit. can be made quick with a tuner and get decent mileage. and sound o so sweet with exhaust....

05-07 6.0s. many lovers. many haters. personally if was looking for a diesel truck- this is exactly where i would be. the 6.0s are quick with tuners. additionally decent mileage. i would personally also delete the egr, headstud it, and put a tuner on it and fuck shit up. the ford trucks feel so much more truckish than the gms do as well. whether that be your thing or not. ifs rides so much nicer than the straight axle stuff imo...

dodge i don't know shit about. i like em tho. :rofl: wish i could shine some light with some knowledge behind it unlike spitballer boy above just blabbing.

so there you have it... if i were in your position- i would personally be looking for a late model 6.0... the injector thing scares me on the duramaxes and to get into a decent 04/05 duramax is normally big money. since there are so many 6.0s around, they seem to be cheaper imo than their duramax counter parts.

i typed that once. in this thread.

http://www.thechicagogarage.com/forum/truck-suv-discussion/57080-help-me-find-turbo-diesel.html

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363
my bro has an 05 6.0 and it is awesome... that's the route id be going if i was looking for a diesel.

his has headstuds/egr delete/tuner//4inch turbo back exhaust.

556503_4336434297952_949998864_n.jpg

Handsome Jesus

A V6? What a ripoff...
TCG Premium
Jun 9, 2007
Carpentersville, IL
I have an LB7, it has had 1 injector go and it has 66k miles on it. run lots of Diesel Kleen in each tank and it can extend their life.

keep in mind Injector replacements cost at a minimum ~$1500.

I love the truck though. Wish it was an extended cab, but I don't have that many friends anyway. takes up less space with a single cab and long bed.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info