help with obnoxious noise

ldyzluvdis06

Supercharged C5
Sep 30, 2008
Jacksonville, IL
Real Name
Danny
i just picked up a 03 f150, 5.4L, 4wd the other day. 177k miles on it. it runs great in town, but once i hit over 45-70mph or so is makes the most obnoxious noise ever. it makes a "waaah waaah waaah" noise. i took a video, and in the video you can slightly here is, but i can promise you, in the cab, is is not slightly noticeable. also, i can feel a vibration that goes to the same tone as the noise in my feet.

any help identifying the problem? i thought maybe tires, so i swapped a good set of tires on it (not new, but better then what i had one it) i drive the truck 60 miles a day, and this noise is driving me crazy!!

20130222_232521_zps36c96e5e.mp4 Video by ldyzluvdis06 | Photobucket

Outlaw

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jul 24, 2009
Johnsburg
or to look at the tires for choppiness. Alignment could be the problem, or shocks possibly. Other than that look at anything that moves.

-Wheels (check balance)
-Tires (visual inspection or road force test possibly)
-Possibly wheel bearings, but that noise would be pretty constant. (jack up each corner and look for side to side and up and down movement [most likely only fronts])
-Driveshafts out of balance (look for any bends or damage, and look for any weights that may have fallen off)

That's the easy shit I can think of and how I would test it, anybody else (cough james cough) could chime in with any other opinions.

ldyzluvdis06

Supercharged C5
Sep 30, 2008
Jacksonville, IL
Real Name
Danny
or to look at the tires for choppiness. Alignment could be the problem, or shocks possibly. Other than that look at anything that moves.

-Wheels (check balance)
-Tires (visual inspection or road force test possibly)
-Possibly wheel bearings, but that noise would be pretty constant. (jack up each corner and look for side to side and up and down movement [most likely only fronts])
-Driveshafts out of balance (look for any bends or damage, and look for any weights that may have fallen off)

That's the easy shit I can think of and how I would test it, anybody else (cough james cough) could chime in with any other opinions.

-wheels/tires are balanced, just put them on tonight.
-tires looked pretty good, they were better then the ones i had on the truck, and seemed to be in pretty good condition
-all 4 wheel bearings were supposedly changed not to long ago
-ill check out the driveshaft sometime this weekend possibly...the trans am is buried in the garage thanks to this damn snow.

the front bumper plastic is broken, and i took a look at it today and noticed the front tow hook was missing, upon further inspection, the frame (where the front tow hook bolts in) is bent...could this have something to do with my noise issue? maybe something broke/bent? if so, what/where should i be looking for?

ldyzluvdis06

Supercharged C5
Sep 30, 2008
Jacksonville, IL
Real Name
Danny
i had a buddy in the truck last night and he said maybe something to do with differential because when i take a curve to the right the sound is faster, "wuh..wuh..wuh..wuh" ...when i take a curve to the left its more like, "wuh........wuh........wuh.........wuh" then going straight it more like, " wuh....wuh....wuh....wuh"

what's tcg experts, opinion? still alignment issue?

bikrboy128

Some say.....
TCG Premium
Jul 15, 2007
Wheaton
did you check the front end when you put the tires on? sounds like a front bearing issue to me. the bearings are sandwiched in the rotor, and i know you think they were just done but make sure they're properly torqued. they could be over tight
if the bearings check out try rotating the tires front to back

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info