Salt removal from car

4DoorBlackTop

Addict
Sep 28, 2005
I wanted to know how you guys remove salt off of your cars without going to a car wash. I do not have access to a hose where I live.

Years ago I had a teacher at high school drive a 1971 Malibu to work all year long, even in Chicago winters he drove it. It was a nice car too. He told me he wiped the salt off of it with wet paper towels everyday. I am thinking paper towels would scratch the car up. Would normal rags be fine?

This is just to wipe the salt off, not "wash" the car.

How do you do it?

P.S. No pressure washer either. Just a bucket. I do not feel like going to a car wash every other day.

ThirdgenTa

TCG Elite Member
Mar 17, 2008
Aurora
you wash it off or leave it on there, a wet rag or paper towel with no soap or rinse will scratch the fuck out of your car

This... I also see people pressure wash their cars and then dry it with towels. All you are doing is spreading dirt around and grinding it into your paint.

For winter or if you don't have access to a hose, use a product called Optimum No Rinse. Basically all you need is 2 buckets, 4 gallons of water and a wash mitt.
The optimum no rinse softens water and when you wash each panel, the salt/dirt will stick to the mitt and you rinse it in the rinse bucket. The process is actually listed in more detail online.
I swear by this stuff. I use it on my black car all the time and it doesn't put swirls in the paint. You can also use it as quick detailer and clay lube.
32oz. Optimum No Rinse Wash & Shine : Amazon.com : Automotive

4DoorBlackTop

Addict
Sep 28, 2005
This... I also see people pressure wash their cars and then dry it with towels. All you are doing is spreading dirt around and grinding it into your paint.

For winter or if you don't have access to a hose, use a product called Optimum No Rinse. Basically all you need is 2 buckets, 4 gallons of water and a wash mitt.
The optimum no rinse softens water and when you wash each panel, the salt/dirt will stick to the mitt and you rinse it in the rinse bucket. The process is actually listed in more detail online.
I swear by this stuff. I use it on my black car all the time and it doesn't put swirls in the paint. You can also use it as quick detailer and clay lube.
32oz. Optimum No Rinse Wash & Shine : Amazon.com : Automotive

That's an answer I was looking for.

Thank you.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info