How to get out of a moving violation.

4DoorBlackTop

Addict
Sep 28, 2005
As some of you know I get pulled over often and haven't gotten a ticket in years. I will tell you how to do it. It is simpler than you may think.

Something you must remember is the officer is more afraid of you than you are of them. They have no idea if you made a simple mistake or if you are a wanted madman. You must keep everything as calm as possible, present yourself as respectful towards authority even if you are strongly against it. Speak to them as a human, because that is what they are. The final step is so simple, but so unused in the outside world it's sickening.

1. When first pulled over, put your window down.

2. Turn the car off when the officer is midway between your car and theirs. Do not turn the car off when first pulled over, do not turn the car off when they are at the side. Officers do not like to see movement, even if it's for the keys. You must shut off your car when the officer is midway between yours and theirs upon their walk to your vehicle.

3. Radio off, no matter what.

4. Turn interior lights on if it's night time.

5. Never ask what you did wrong. By asking you have already proved that you do not know the rules of the road. Giving you a ticket is a given to make you remember what you did wrong. Sometimes you didn't do anything wrong, you could be a car they are looking for... it's happened to me before.

6. Let them search your car if they ask. If you have nothing to hide you will be on your way faster. Being fully cooperative lessens the chance of you actually getting a violation. If you actually have something to hide, this is where my advice ends.

7. Look at them in the eye.

8. Keep your hands on the steering wheel in plain vision of the officer. Usually I keep them at 12 O'clock on the steering wheel close enough to be handcuffed, just for their safety.

9. If asked if you know what you did wrong, admit to it. Admitting to guilt does not mean this guarantees a ticket issued to you. Plus if you know what you did wrong and you say you are sorry the officers need to issue you a ticket declines.

One time an officer wrote me the ticket before I could tell him I knew what I did wrong, he advised me to go to court and he would forget my name. He even told me to say not guilty. I went and he was there too. I said not guilty and was dismissed, even with the officer there. He had bigger fish to fry though. People that he pulled over and found guns and drugs on. An illegal left hand turn was nothing.

10. When asked for your proof of ownership tell the officer where it is. I keep mine in my seat pouch and if they see you reaching what looks like under your seat, you bet they are getting a little paranoid. Simply tell them "My papers are in my seat pouch. I will slowly get them." I always reach for my papers slowly, never quickly, never naturally, slowly.

11. Never argue. Arguing will only make the officer mad and you can easily welcome additional tickets coming your way.

12. If you have on sun glasses take them off.

13. This one is tricky... you can joke around, ONLY if it seems alright. It can break the ice really fast if done properly. EX:

Officer: "How is your driving record?"
Me: "It's dirty."
Officer: "Why were you hauling a** out of every single stop sign?"
Me: "I just like hearing my V8 roar."
Officer: "If I let you go, do you promise to keep it under 80?"
Me: "Yes I do."
Officer: "Alright. I'm getting the *uc* out of here"
Me: "Have a good *uc*ing day officer."
Officer: "You too."

TRUE STORY. This was in my K5 Blazer, not the Marauder.

14. When they ask a question about the car, answer it properly. One time an officer wanted to know why I had gauges on my side pillar, my response was "They are there to monitor the air to fuel to make sure I don't blow up ANOTHER engine." He got a laugh out of it. Another time I was asked what kind of car it was, "Mercury Marauder" is all that had to be said. If I was being a wise guy I would have said "A sedan" or "A black one." Don't be a jerk, that's almost the bottom line.

15. Be honest. That is the bottom line. Officers see horrible things and meet liars often, probably by the hour. If you are honest the truth can set you free. There was even one time I was allowed to drive off on a suspended license... I wasn't aware it was suspended, but because I let them do everything... search the car, answered every question, etc. They let me go.

This advice is not given out so you can do whatever you want and get away with it. It's actually meant for people to have more respect towards police officers and as a result you will earn a little respect of your own. I personally do not think I can get off every time I get pulled over, but being honest is a rare occasion for a LEO from my point of view. Give them the gift of honesty and they will give you the gift of going on your way.

Be careful out there.

NOTE: Some officers are jerks, but keep in mind you will find people like this in every occupation. They might have had a bad day too, or just saved a bunch of lives and had the wife yell at them for the garbage not being taken out. It's a highly stressful job, sometimes you need to calm them down, as strange as this may seem.

By following this advice you will lessen the chances of a ticket issued or have a ticket reduced.

Happy driving out there.

4DoorBlackTop

Addict
Sep 28, 2005
You can be nice and all and at the end of the day you still can get that ticket.
It all comes down to what kind of day that officer is having.

This is very true, but the last 14 out of 15 times I have been pulled over I have never been issued a ticket. I highly doubt 14 out of 15 were in good moods. I try to put them in a good mood if that makes sense. They can all use a smile.

nice write up, only suggestion is I avoid all kidding around on a stop only because everything nowadays is recorded and the slightest inappropriate comment that the officer may have to act on. And for Christ's Sake pull your GD hoodie down

YES! Hoodie. I never have them up while driving, but that's a good point too. I can usually make people laugh or smile even when they don't want to. I just like making people happy. I agree though, the joking part is for repeat expert offenders. :rollpicard:

Bub

Pitter Patter
TCG Premium
Sep 4, 2012
Spring Grove
How are they crossing a line if you invited them? :dunno:

Half the time I bet they ask just to see what you say. If you say yes, I would put money down that at least 50% DONT search after given permission unless they see something fishy.

usually if an ofc gets permission they search even if its just because they got consent no other pc

Stink Star

Don’t Drive Angry!
TCG Premium
Jan 20, 2008
Big wood cock
I've gotten out of tickets before doing this. In my Evo with a buddy I ripped around a corner and gunned it up to 80 in a 40 zone. When the officer asked me if he knew what I did wrong I said "yes sir, I was trying to show off for my buddy and it was stupid". Gave me a verbal warning and let me go

ktraver97ss

I say what everyone thinks
Aug 29, 2007
Roselle, IL
Hell yes, this is great advice. Just a couple weeks ago I got stopped in the new bonneville cause the sticker was expired on the plate. I literally took off work the next day to get new plates, title transfer, etc. Since I bought the car from my mom she just kept it insured and we just swapped plates till I could register. Of course the day before I get stopped, left the title at the house, had no proof of insurance, plate was registered to my '12 Kia Optima. lol He was really cool and I explained everything and joked around how it looked like I stole the car, but was actually the same car I learned to drive on. He complemented the condition of it and we started bullshitting cars and he couldnt believe it only had 74k on a 97. He ran the vin to make sure it was legit and let me go.

radioguy6

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
May 23, 2008
Schaumburg
Real Name
Greg
Honesty is usually the best policy, but too bad it doesnt work on tinted window violations. I've been ticketed 5 times in the past 2 years for my 20% tints. I'm not a dick and I fully comply. Thankfully they are just $50 fix it tickets but it still sucks.

While on this topic... I've been told I am within my rights to not comply when they ask, "could you roll up your window half way for the light meter test?" I'd assume this would piss off the cop quite a bit, but is this true?? Thoughts?

BrianG

Big Dick Team Octane
Oct 5, 2008
Streamwood
Real Name
Brian G
This has worked in almost every case for me and resulted in no tickets issues. Most times it didn't work, I was given a simple ordinance ticket. Playing dumb with the window tints has worked for me in many cases. Telling them I had to cut off my muffler because it was rusting and would fall off has worked in others.

True story #1: I was let off doing 25 over in the Gurnee area on 41, got pulled over, did everything above and was really polite, he let me go.

True story #2: I was in Milwaukee in November driving the "smurfmobile" violating about 6 different laws even sitting still (exhaust, registration, WI tint laws, etc) and had just left a bar after a couple beers too. Between following the above and being completely honest, I was let go with absolutely nothing, he just didn't let me drive the car away until later since I admitted to having a couple drinks, so I got picked up and came back later.

The only thing I don't agree with in the writeup is when to shut the car down. Do it AS SOON as you're pulled over. I can imagine a cop doesn't want to have to get out of his vehicle without being completely sure you can't suddenly speed away. I'd also acknowledge the lights asap by flashing your blinkers if you can't pull over right away for some reason. And for god's sake, pull over somwhere SAFE like a side street or parking lot, not the side of a busy road with no shoulder.

blakbearddelite

I'm not one of your 'shit-hole' buddies!
TCG Premium
Jun 28, 2007
FL
I'd also acknowledge the lights asap by flashing your blinkers if you can't pull over right away for some reason. And for god's sake, pull over somwhere SAFE like a side street or parking lot, not the side of a busy road with no shoulder.

I've done this while getting pulled over in the past. I just like to let them know that I'm looking for a safe place to pull over. It bugs me to no end when someone pulls over on a main street when there is a subdivision a couple hundred feet up.

TCG Member 5219

TCG Elite Member
Mar 22, 2005
My procedure.

1. Signal to cop you see them by putting down window and waving.

2. interior lights on, radio off and hands clearly on the wheel once stopped. - LEAVE seat belt on and do not go for wallet, insurance papers and whatnot.

3. Greet officer and be polite.

4. When asked for license and insurance, let officer know you will be unbelting yourself. Then tell him where both items are located. I usually keep my wallet in my front pocket, so I let him know I will be reaching in which pocket for it and I Lean back to let them actually see both hands and my pocket the whole step of the way. Then for the insurance card, same deal. Tell them where its at and ask them if I can reach into the console for it. I've had cops ask me to let them move to the other side of the car so they can see where Im reaching. I allow it and wait until it they are ready before I move.

5. Hand everything over, then hands back on the wheel waiting to answer questions politely.

6. Be truthful and let them do what they need.

7. Take the warning or ticket, do what they ask and thank them for their service.

8. Pull away slowly and then you can go ballistic if you want.

This procedure may seem like a lot or over kill, but it has gotten me out of so many tickets its not funny. Not to mention, I have been asked if I was a police officer or related to one because of how I handle myself during a stop. If you respect them and offer no hint of being a threat, then they will respect you back. I have gotten warnings from some of the most hard nosed cops that you could think of. I read this procedure online many years ago, and it has a success rate well into the 90% range. I am like a robot now when it goes down. And have been thanked by officers for the respect to them and what they do.

blakbearddelite

I'm not one of your 'shit-hole' buddies!
TCG Premium
Jun 28, 2007
FL
I know I've posted about this one before, but I got let out of a drag-racing violation back in 2007. Another Mustang and I were hot-footing down Barrington and as we crested a hill, a cop had pulled over someone in the right lane. I had to brake pretty hard, and get in the other lane. As I passed, he yelled for me to pull over. I debated for a second on whether or not to just go since the guy was out of his car and might not catch up to me if I made a few quick turns.

I decided to just pull over farther down the road. He told me that he would have thrown the proverbial book at me if I had not pulled over. Instead, he told me to take the racing to the expressway and slow down on the road. Luckiest break of a lifetime right there.

radioguy6

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
May 23, 2008
Schaumburg
Real Name
Greg
I know I've posted about this one before, but I got let out of a drag-racing violation back in 2007. Another Mustang and I were hot-footing down Barrington and as we crested a hill, a cop had pulled over someone in the right lane. I had to brake pretty hard, and get in the other lane. As I passed, he yelled for me to pull over. I debated for a second on whether or not to just go since the guy was out of his car and might not catch up to me if I made a few quick turns.

I decided to just pull over farther down the road. He told me that he would have thrown the proverbial book at me if I had not pulled over. Instead, he told me to take the racing to the expressway and slow down on the road. Luckiest break of a lifetime right there.

Damn, that is a good thing you stopped. Nothing beats Motorola.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info