Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363

Mike K

TCG Elite Member
Apr 11, 2008
You're assuming weight savings?

Turbos and intercoolers and blah blah blah aren't necessarily lightweight...

I showed my cousin this and apparently it's a girls who managers somewhere

http://www.raptorforumz.com/archive/index.php/t-15950.html

I think it would be at least a couple hundred lbs lighter. Turbos and intercoolers are light compared to blocks with extra cylinders.

I don't want to be that guy that brings up his car all the time (already am) but the V8 550s are 250lbs heavier than the TT Inline 6 535s and the 550's V8 is small.

Bru

Staff member
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Coincidentally enough, I have the F-150 spec sheet open right now for work - I've been driving an Ecoboost F-150 the past few nights.

A 2013 F-150 Supercab 4x4 with 145-inch wheelbase and Ecoboost has a curb weight of 5,476. The same configuration with 5.0-liter is 5,461 pounds, and 6.2-liter is 5,689 pounds.

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363
The 6.2 is an iron block aluminum heads vs. the Ecoboost aluminum block and heads. I would have to assume there are weight savings, despite the extra hardware of the turbos and what not

200lbs once you are over 5k in a truck is really no big deal to me... thats less than the difference of a tank of gas or a passenger :rofl:

Not sure we'll see an Ecoboost Raptor. I think the issue is around Heat Stroke with all those hot exhaust gases spinning those turbos. My Raptor group just did a tour at SVT in Detroit. I'll have to ask if this came up.

For the average mall crawler, yes, it would be fine. But I know some guys who push their rigs hard in the dessert and I think heat soak would be an issue.

Discuss

Primalzer

TCG Elite Member
Sep 14, 2006
Not sure we'll see an Ecoboost Raptor. I think the issue is around Heat Stroke with all those hot exhaust gases spinning those turbos. My Raptor group just did a tour at SVT in Detroit. I'll have to ask if this came up.

For the average mall crawler, yes, it would be fine. But I know some guys who push their rigs hard in the dessert and I think heat soak would be an issue.

Discuss

The Ecoboost turbos are both water cooled and oil cooled. That should be more than sufficient.

Plus computers are such these days, that high intake air temps would back off some timing. Obviously running balls out across 120* desert is going to tax even an NA motor.

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363

Discuss

That Raptor tour thing involve going through the UP also?

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info