Fisker Karma

I saw a Fisker Karma today on the way to work near O'Hare

I first thought it was a 4 door Masereti

800px-Karma_Fisker_Paris.JPG

The Fisker Karma is a plug-in hybrid luxury sports sedan produced by Fisker Automotive and manufactured at Valmet Automotive in Finland.[5] The United States Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) rated the Karma's combined city/highway fuel economy at 52 mpg-US (4.5 L/100 km; 62 mpg-imp) equivalent (MPG-e) in all-electric mode, and at 20 mpg-US (12 L/100 km; 24 mpg-imp) in gasoline-only mode. EPA's official all-electric range is 32 mi (51 km).[3][6] Due to the very small cabin interior volume, the EPA rated the Fisker Karma as a subcompact.[7]

For 100,000 bucks you can do a lot better --- and it is not that "GREEN" to justify it...

Mike K

TCG Elite Member
Apr 11, 2008
The Karma is a badass looking car but the price tag combined with the less than mediocre performance makes it nothing more than a fashion statement for those with more money than sense.

There's just no reason an electric car has to be so lame and up until now, nobody was willing to prove that. But that all changed with the Tesla Model S Performance...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vvHTN0Yi1t4

Bru

Staff member
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
The Karma makes no sense at all. It's a poor range-extender hybrid and a poor performance car. Bob Lutz actually brought an LS9-powered Karma to the Detroit auto show last week. Sign me up for that. :fy:

Anyway, we've tested a few versions of the Model S (one press car and one production car) and both were buggy as hell. Still, it's damn awesome leaving rubber without any noise except the tires screeching, plus the acceleration is unlike any gas-powered car out there. There's also a huge tablet control center instead of knobs and switches that works surprisingly well.

They tried too hard to impress with "out-there" features like a driver's seat ignition system that senses weight and allows the car to turn on - there's no key or push-button start to get moving. Unfortunately what happens when you turn your head and lift a cheek to reverse is the car shuts off at low speeds when it doesn't sense a driver. Whoops.

Also, the charging door didn't open consistently, nor did the door handles that pop out of the door. Most cars have a form of brake creep where the car will slowly move forward when your foot is off the brake and gas - the Model S doesn't. Plus, it will roll down a hill backward if you're foot isn't on the brake or throttle. I believe they were working on implementing those features when I was driving it.

Mike K

TCG Elite Member
Apr 11, 2008
The Karma makes no sense at all. It's a poor range-extender hybrid and a poor performance car. Bob Lutz actually brought an LS9-powered Karma to the Detroit auto show last week. Sign me up for that. :fy:

Anyway, we've tested a few versions of the Model S (one press car and one production car) and both were buggy as hell. Still, it's damn awesome leaving rubber without any noise except the tires screeching, plus the acceleration is unlike any gas-powered car out there. There's also a huge tablet control center instead of knobs and switches that works surprisingly well.

They tried too hard to impress with "out-there" features like a driver's seat ignition system that senses weight and allows the car to turn on - there's no key or push-button start to get moving. Unfortunately what happens when you turn your head and lift a cheek to reverse is the car shuts off at low speeds when it doesn't sense a driver. Whoops.

Also, the charging door didn't open consistently, nor did the door handles that pop out of the door. Most cars have a form of brake creep where the car will slowly move forward when your foot is off the brake and gas - the Model S doesn't. Plus, it will roll down a hill backward if you're foot isn't on the brake or throttle. I believe they were working on implementing those features when I was driving it.

I always get warm and tingly when you post about a car... It's nice having the insight of someone that does it for a living. Now I'll pull my head out of your ass and add my comments.

What do you think about the car overall? If those bugs were all gone is it as awesome as it appears to be? It seems like a deal, especially by electric car standards.

The brake creep doesn't bother me. People just need to adapt to that. The M5 didn't have that either because it would disengage the clutch at a stop. You just learned to put your foot on the brake. Literally 5 minutes and I had that down.

Bru

Staff member
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
I always get warm and tingly when you post about a car... It's nice having the insight of someone that does it for a living. Now I'll pull my head out of your ass and add my comments.

What do you think about the car overall? If those bugs were all gone is it as awesome as it appears to be? It seems like a deal, especially by electric car standards.

The brake creep doesn't bother me. People just need to adapt to that. The M5 didn't have that either because it would disengage the clutch at a stop. You just learned to put your foot on the brake. Literally 5 minutes and I had that down.

It's hard to say because the glitches are so pervasive through the cars we tested. I went back and checked my notes and our content to confirm we had problems with charging, plus odd vibrations that mimicked highway wind buffeting at parking garage speeds. I will say Tesla has gone above and beyond to fix customer's cars, including flying techs out to tear cars apart in people's driveways.

The acceleration and range is amazing with the most-expensive 85 kwhr battery, but you lose that with smaller and less-expensive 60 and 40 kwhr options. If everything came together and worked flawlessly the first, or second time, I'd have more faith this could be a viable option, but it's still too unfinished and problematic to say for certain.

Jean Ralphio

beautiful, clean coal
May 28, 2008

Mike K

TCG Elite Member
Apr 11, 2008
The Karma sucked... It looks gorgeous but crappy performance, dubious build quality and a small interior doomed it from the get-go. Plus when you're staring down the barrel of Tesla who's base car costs less than half of yours, has more features and is generally loved by the media, well... it doesn't take someone with an MBA to see that Fisker wasn't long for this world.

But dat body... You put a serious engine in that car and it would be fun.

Mike K

TCG Elite Member
Apr 11, 2008
Meh Electric cars are still dumb. If it breaks down or for some reason loses a charge ect, your SOL. Once they implement instant charging and reasonable pricing, it might be alright, 80,000 can buy you lots of different cool cars, even fuel efficient ones.

When you do the math with the Tesla (and if you don't do a lot of road trips) there's actually a compelling financial argument that can be made for owning one. If I was out in LA none of my days are over 200 miles and I'm surrounded by charging stations. A Model S would save me a substantial amount of money over years of ownership versus driving my 535 around.

Primalzer

TCG Elite Member
Sep 14, 2006
But dat body... You put a serious engine in that car and it would be fun.

There's nothing wrong with the Fisker Karma that a honkin' American V8 engine won't fix. At least according to Bob Lutz, it seems. Called the VL Automotive Destino, this machine is the brainchild of industrialist Gilbert Villereal and the aforementioned Lutz, and is intended to compete with such well-regarded performance sedans as the Porsche Panamera and Aston Martin Rapide.

As you can see, there are some significant styling changes made in the conversion from Karma to Destino, notably in the front and rear fascias, including exhaust tips out back and a new hood that's raised to accommodate what lies underneath. The interior is also reskinned and can be further customized by the buyer.

But it's the engineering work under that shapely skin that's truly noteworthy. Replacing the electric motor, battery pack and turbocharged range extender is one 638-horsepower supercharged LS9 V8 borrowed from the Chevrolet Corvette ZR1 driving the rear wheels through either a manual or automatic transmission. Power numbers are identical to the ZR1 and while fuel economy is not yet known, we can expect is to be a bit lower than the Corvette's 15 city / 24 highway.

The Destino will be built at VL Automotive's headquarters in Auburn Hills, Michigan, and it will be delivered through still-in-development distribution network starting this summer. Pricing is expected to be around $180,000, which is significantly more than the Karma's $102,000 base price. Check out our high-res image gallery live from the Detroit Auto Show above and the press release below.

:pedobear:

Soulonfire11

Regular
Aug 13, 2009
When you do the math with the Tesla (and if you don't do a lot of road trips) there's actually a compelling financial argument that can be made for owning one. If I was out in LA none of my days are over 200 miles and I'm surrounded by charging stations. A Model S would save me a substantial amount of money over years of ownership versus driving my 535 around.

Its just the fact that you can't charge the thing up in 5 minutes and keep going that bugs me. savings are one thing, but when your spending 80,000 on a car, are you really worried about saving all that much?

You can go and buy a Hybrid for less then half the cost, or a diesel VW. I doubt that you will save 50,000 in the 3-4 years of ownership, especially since no one really knows the true long term durability.

Teslas are still just a gimmick to me until they offer an affordably priced one for the masses. Theres no way a tesla would actually compare to your 535i overall, and being the gearheads most of us are, they leave you with no room to tinker.

jason05gt

TCG Elite Member
Jan 17, 2007
Naperville

The only difference would be gas costs. You'd have to drive a lot in order to make up for the cost difference.

Mike K

TCG Elite Member
Apr 11, 2008
Its just the fact that you can't charge the thing up in 5 minutes and keep going that bugs me.

It's definitely not practical everywhere in the country but in a place like LA it is. They offer supercharging stations which give you 150 miles of range in 30 minutes. That's great... They just need to build out that infrastructure.

savings are one thing, but when your spending 80,000 on a car, are you really worried about saving all that much?

Have you ever met someone that has an assload of money and is a penny pincher? People that can afford cars like these generally weigh their options carefully (assuming they're not just buying for status). Plus a car is a fixed cost; fuel is not so while I might accept the fixed cost of the car, eventually it will be paid off. Fuel is something I'll pay for for as long as I own it so yeah, to me that does make a difference. In LA where you'll never get the highway mileage out of any car because of traffic and where gas prices are generally the highest in the country, a compelling argument can be made for a car like this.

You can go and buy a Hybrid for less then half the cost, or a diesel VW. I doubt that you will save 50,000 in the 3-4 years of ownership, especially since no one really knows the true long term durability.

But it's not all about gas mileage. I would never consider a car like that because most are based on economy cars and performance isn't really close to the lower end Model S, let alone the performance model. Likewise, you don't need to make up for a $50,000 difference. The base Tesla is a high end car with the latest features and is only $62,500. That's a pretty good deal for a car like this and it does a 14.2 1/4 mile and a 5.9 0-60, much better than a standard hybrid, plus it's not an economy car. On top of that, you get an $11,000 tax credit between the state and fed which makes the base car $51,500. So you're barely paying $50,000 for the car, let alone having to make up a $50,000 difference in price.

I'd go for the Performance model which is $87,000. A comparable performing car (M5) starts at $90,000 and tips the scales at $100,000 once you equip it the way you'd want it equipped. Plus for the sake of my comparison, it would be an absolutely abysmal daily driver in LA. I'd lose my ass on fuel costs.

Teslas are still just a gimmick to me until they offer an affordably priced one for the masses.

I don't think they're trying to appeal to the masses just yet. Under it's skin the Tesla is a great performing car with high end finishes and luxury options on par with Audi and BMW. It's not supposed to be an electric Ford Taurus; it's supposed to be an electric BMW 5 series and I think it does a great job at that. Compare the prices of a base model BMW 5 series (which is slower and far less optioned) to the base Tesla S and if you're in a market where owning an electric car is a feasible alternative, it's not only something to consider but it becomes impossible to ignore. And it's for this reason that I see 5 - 6 a day when I'm out in LA.

Theres no way a tesla would actually compare to your 535i overall, and being the gearheads most of us are, they leave you with no room to tinker.

I disagree. I'd trade my 535 for a Tesla S Performance in a flash. I think you need to give the car another chance or do some more research on it. My arguments are obviously based off of someone who lives in a region where a car like this makes sense and if you do, I think this is a hard car to marginalize.

The only difference would be gas costs. You'd have to drive a lot in order to make up for the cost difference.

How? You're comparing a Model S to a cheaper electric/ diesel car. Compare it to an equal level model from another company and you're not paying significantly more and if you look at my comparison, you're often paying slightly less for a better equipped car. So the fuel saving are often completely realized as cash in hand (minus the additional cost on your electric bill).

Mike K

TCG Elite Member
Apr 11, 2008
I highly doubt that, especially the new twin turboed M5, just a tune away from some monster performance.

And come on, the interior isn't really anything all that special, that giant screen thingy looks dumb.

1. You're comparing apples to oranges. A stock M5 versus a Stock Tesla S Performance is a pretty equal match up to 100mph though the M5 would rock it above those speeds. Nonetheless, nobody is trying to say this is an M5...

2. Your opinion on the interior is just that, an opinion. Looks are subjective but build quality is not. This car has much more in common with the flagships from BMW, Merc and Audi than it does with your average 4 door domestic sedan. Now perhaps that's not important to you but if it isn't than you're not the target demographic anyhow.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vvHTN0Yi1t4

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info