Do you skip shift?

Turk

Lt. Ron "Slider" Kerner
TCG Premium
Jan 21, 2008
For all those manual drivers out there, do you skip gears when you shift, whether up or down. For instance, when accelerating leisurely, do you sometimes go from 1 to 3, or 2 to 4? Or if you need to rocket while you're on the highway, do you go from 6 to 3, or do you go 6,5,4,3? The reason I ask, I was watching a video of a guy driving a sports car, and he went from 6,5,4,3 then hit the gas. I wondered, wtf was he doing? I always just went right to the gear I wanted. So I looked it up online. We all know that GM forces you to skip gears sometimes, but Honda recommends that you never skip a gear. WTF is the deal? I always skipped gears. Made sure to rev match the best I could when I did though.

Turk

Lt. Ron "Slider" Kerner
TCG Premium
Jan 21, 2008
It was amazing, I just googled the term and it directed me to some import(Japanese) websites. Some guys didn't even understand the concept while another guy called people that skipped gears lazy!!! What in the hell? Apparently you can blow out a gear in Honda's skipping gears, WTF? Not the first time I heard this either, my one buddy with an s2000 would never skip a gear, so I asked why and he said it'd bad for the transmission.

Mike K

TCG Elite Member
Apr 11, 2008
I would imagine it's going to be easier on the synchros if you go through the gears as intended. Not doing so would mean a lot more work for them. My buddy replaced a transmission for a local guy in his 200x S4 and noted how rare it was for them to fail. The "ah-ha" moment came when the guy told him that he frequently went from 2nd to 6th.

In the BMW I'd generally go from 1st to 3rd and sometimes 3rd to 5th. Downshifting I'd just pull it out of gear, rev and hit the gear I wanted.

Thirdgen89GTA

Aka "That Focus RS Guy"
TCG Premium
Sep 19, 2010
Rockford
Real Name
Bill
All of the time.

This.

Depending on traffic and the guy in front of me from the light's acceleration.

If the guy in front of me takes off super slow I'll usually do 1st, 2nd, 4th, and either 5th or 6th depending on the the stated speed limit, 45mph I usually go to 5th, anything faster than that and I'll hold 4th a bit longer and shift to 6th above 50mph.

If no one is in front of me, or the guy in front accelerates at a normal pace I'll shift 1st, 3rd, 5th, 6th.

02BlueGT

No Fucks Have Been Given
Feb 21, 2008
Now apearing in Hanover Park
Very very rarely... Only sometimes when turning will I go from say 5th to 3rd or 2nd, but i still shift in to the gate, just don't release the clutch.

Switching the gate without releasing he clutch will just bounce around the speed of the transmissions input and main shaft, I do not see a reason for this, and I'm 90% sure you are doing extra wear in your syncos for no gain. Go to the gear directly if your not gonna use the ones in between :dunno:

Turbocharged400sbc

3800 & 4T80E > ALL
TCG Premium
Jun 16, 2007
hangover park IL
these are not sequential manuals folks

any rail/fork conventional manual should have no damn problem up or downshifting skipping gates along the way.

especially if you drive properly and "know" your coupling rpm/speeds so you can blip if you wish to minimize synchro wear further.
big trucks have input shaft brakes to help slow the mainshaft when the clutch is depressed...this is because greatest load is under acel and your trying to help slow the input shaft for the next gear since your swinging 300lbs of steel and iron.

drive properly and know your car and trans and it wont hurt a thing.

on that note on my np435 i sometimes have to go into 2nd to set the granny so i can shift into 1st while stationary/unlevel grade
but most times i just started in 2nd

Turbocharged400sbc

3800 & 4T80E > ALL
TCG Premium
Jun 16, 2007
hangover park IL
all you with computer controlled tranny's are sellouts to the joy it is of operating thousands of simple machines functioning together as larger components of a large beautiful and sexy machine that is the extension of ME its operator knowing every bit of its needs and character..... that consumes fuel and puts an eternal grin on my face

pussy's

/manpedal argument :trollface:

Turbocharged400sbc

3800 & 4T80E > ALL
TCG Premium
Jun 16, 2007
hangover park IL
What about going from 5th or 6th at cruising speed (55-65mph) and putting it into neutral and.coasting to a stop w/o downshifting?

thats called saving fuel and truck drivers love it. but then 4 wheel fucks cut them off and force em to brake.

coast more....you should still be rolling even if its at 5mph when that light turns green

ive shutoff my truck on long downgrades out of the mountains/hills
when you have 4 wheel drums with no drag you can roll a looooong time with the speedo pegged and hoping the 18 year old bias ply's hold together

i wish i could do engine braking while killing fuel but that will soon be doable when i go from a 2bbl autolite to efi and "sellout" in the process :rofl:

edit: at least im keeping it manual...still thinking of just clearcoating over the vintage patina after all the likes

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info