Regular
Jan 10, 2012
Chicago
3K33G43H45N75Kc5Jbd1f7a1dfd3262fe1772.jpg

Turk

Lt. Ron "Slider" Kerner
TCG Premium
Jan 21, 2008
Based on my understanding of importing cars to the US, the manufacturer must go through tests and spend a lot of money to make sure the car is compliant with federal emissions standards. Since Nissan never did this with the skyline, it is illegal to own one in the US.

Bob Kazamakis

I’m the f-ing lizard king
TCG Premium
Oct 24, 2007
Denver
Real Name
Joel
Well they never were crash tested to be road legal so that makes them not road legal :dunno:
As far as if they'd pass if they were tested; I don't think so. I thought I recall something about the glass not being correct.
There are some legit legally imported ones though.

Camaro

Regular
Jan 10, 2012
Chicago
Importing a Nissan Skyline. Some say it's impossible to import and have a Nissan Skyline Federalized (i.e. 100%, 48 State Legal) these days after Motorex went under. However, After extensive research of NHTSA and DOT dockets and petitions, ANY R33 GTS-GTR Skylines manufactured between January 1996-June 1998 are ELIGIBLE for importation into the US (website REF: http://www.nhtsa.dot.gov/cars/rules/import/elig010807.pdf ).

The reason why the NHTSA rescinded a good part of the legal importation of Sklines were due to the fact some safety features on the R32's and early R33's weren't standard. And the R32 and R34's were listed under the the R33 crash tests, and Nissan sent information to the NHTSA stating that upon the changes in models, so did the chassis. In order for certain R32 and R34's to be legally imported again, they must first be sacrificed to crash tests, as motorex did with the R33's
(website REF: http://dmses.dot.gov/docimages/p83/374325.pdf )

As far as I know, you can still legally import and federalize Skyline R33's into the states through an Registered Importer. you can find and contact RI's through the NHTSA website, or you can be lazy and go straigh to this link here:
(REGISTERED IMPORTERS )

The ONLY OTHER WAY TO BUY A 100% LEGAL, FEDERALIZED, NISSAN SKYLINE IS TO BUY A SKYLINE THAT WAS IMPORTED BY MOTOREX, OR A MOTOREX SKYLINE THAT WAS PURCHASED THROUGH RBmotoring.

ALL Motorex/RBmotoring Skylines have new VINS and should come will all DOT, NHTSA, and bond release documents. If they don't, you can always call the DOT and give them the VIN on the Skyline and they will tell you then and there if it is a federalized skyline.

Federalized skylines are the only TRUE and LEGAL Skylines in the U.S that are permissable to drive on US roadways.

There are Skylines that have made it into the states without going through motorex, and if you buy one, and drive it on the road, you are taking a big risk of getting the car deported or crushed. These cars were brought in as "Kit cars" and are grey market imports, they are ways to circumvent the DOT, NHTSA, and EPA laws governming over imported vehicles, and if they catch you, it will DEPORTED or CRUSHED at your expense.

Bob Kazamakis

I’m the f-ing lizard king
TCG Premium
Oct 24, 2007
Denver
Real Name
Joel
So if I live in Canada (lets pretend they have the R34 in Canada :dunno: ), and DD an R34 Skyline. and move to the US of A, I have to sell my car? That's bullshit. Awesome, it doesn't have standard safety features. God forbid I voluntarily drive a dangerous car...

I'd bet that even the most unsafe GTR is safer than an Aveo

I know someone that lived in Hong Kong, moved here and brought his r32 with. :dunno:

I also have a friend who bought an r32 from a dealer here and that car was a trade in from Canada.

Both cars are driven.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info