Rental Car Roulette

Mike K

TCG Elite Member
Apr 11, 2008
I have a trip to LA next week with no wife or baby. While that saddens me, the though of going through airport security without 15 bags, a stroller, a baby, car seat, etc is quite enticing as is being able to get a rental car that's a little less practical.

I rent from National so I get to just walk up and grab what I want. I've always had a crush on the Camaro but I haven't had a chance to drive one. I know the Mustang is a nicer handling car but I just love the Camaro.

So you have a choice... V6 Camaro or V6 Mustang.

Other options would be the base Challenger which I'm not a fan of, the V8 300C which I love and a Pentistar powered Charger.

And go.

Wild White Pony

TCG Elite Member
Oct 13, 2012
I don't know about the others but the V6 mustang is a good car but not much fun gettin your rocks off.
Drove one for a week last summer in Maui, the side button shifter blows for some good ole fashion rental workout.
If your looking for a nice smooth comfortable ride and good mpg it fits the bill.

Bru

Staff member
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
As much as the Camaro's horrible visibility sucks, the V6 Mustang without performance package (suspension, LSD, 3.31 gear) is blah, which I'm sure that's what you'll get at the rental counter. At least there's no optional suspension in the V6 Camaro and what's standard isn't bad.

The New Challengers do have the Pentastar engine, too. I doubt any will have an LSD as those either come with upgraded gear ratios or manual transmissions only.

My choice would be the Camaro.

Mike K

TCG Elite Member
Apr 11, 2008
Can we get another option?

I'd go Challenger as long as it is the new interior.

I think the Challenger is a monstrosity, especially in base form. I'd go Charger over Challenger and 300c over either.

There will be plenty of other options but I was between the Mustang and Camaro. Other options will be:

2013 Fusion (apparently they have some Ecoboost models)
Buick Lucerne - Doesn't appeal to me
Ford Flex - Had it, liked it.
Volvo S80 - Had it, blows
Ford Escape
Ford Explorer
Avalon
Taurus - Had it, blows
Kia Optima
Altima
Maxima
Genesis
Volvo XC60
G37 - Had an M35 and loved

Someone speculated that they might also have just gotten some 2013 328i's so if they have one of those it's going to be tough to turn down.

Mike K

TCG Elite Member
Apr 11, 2008
As much as the Camaro's horrible visibility sucks, the V6 Mustang without performance package (suspension, LSD, 3.31 gear) is blah, which I'm sure that's what you'll get at the rental counter. At least there's no optional suspension in the V6 Camaro and what's standard isn't bad.

The New Challengers do have the Pentastar engine, too. I doubt any will have an LSD as those either come with upgraded gear ratios or manual transmissions only.

My choice would be the Camaro.

Good to know. I didn't know there were different trims for the V6 models.

Mike K

TCG Elite Member
Apr 11, 2008
G37 is a riot.

I've never driven one but I have driven the M35 and that was a blast. I think it has the same engine/ transmission too. I got that thing silly sideways. Probably returned it with bald tires too.

Considering your updated list, BMW first. Then... Fusion or G37... I'd grab the Exploder next time your wife is with you.

Fusion looks interesting and I'd like to see if they handle as well as they say they do. I have car ADD.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info