Tahoe Shock Options - WTF

PANDA

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Event Coordinator
May 24, 2007
Wisconsin Northwoods
2004 Tahoe LT

I found out it has Monroe Reflex shocks in the rear and GM shocks up front. (no part numbers on the rear shocks that pull up anything) I would like to replace the fronts to match the rears. The truck has ZW7 Premium Ride Suspension according to the build sheet. BUT I am a bit confused as to what is already on the rear. According to the Monroe site and talking with Monroe none of the Reflex branded shocks work with the ZW7 suspension package in the rear. So a previous owner installed the wrong shocks in the rear.

No problem just get the right rear shocks for the ZW7 package and replace all four. Problem is seems they are a special air shocks. $450 retaileach from Monroe. GM $350 each from Rock Auto. Can't find any other brand that makes a rear shock for the ZW7 package. Not very enticed to spend that kinda money.

Now standard shocks (GM or others) are dirty cheap online. Can I replace all four with these or do I need the special air shocks for the back? I am concerned about ride level ride quality, and obviously if the cheaper shocks will work. The truck seems to drive fine now, but I would like to at minimum replace the fronts to have them match the newly replaced backs. The monroe reflex shocks that are on the rear are cheap but im not sure if anything custom or a conversion had to be done to install these on the rear. (Because everything says they wont work)

I am not interested in raising my truck. standard GM replacements or quality aftermarket.

Thanks

EmersonHart13

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jul 18, 2007
Most guys convert so they can lift as it is impossible to lift with air springs OR because the air is expensive to fix/replace.

Don't quote me but I think the conversion is you go back to standard springs and shocks like a normal Tahoe.

I believe guys just grab the parts from a junkyard truck. I happened across a post once and read it, but it has been a while.

I don't really like their search... but...

Z71Tahoe-Suburban.com > What Is Involved In Converting My Non-autoride 02 To Autoride?

Z71Tahoe-Suburban.com > Are These Autoride?

Those might help.

PANDA

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Event Coordinator
May 24, 2007
Wisconsin Northwoods
Most guys convert so they can lift as it is impossible to lift with air springs OR because the air is expensive to fix/replace.

Don't quote me but I think the conversion is you go back to standard springs and shocks like a normal Tahoe.

I believe guys just grab the parts from a junkyard truck. I happened across a post once and read it, but it has been a while.

I don't really like their search... but...

Z71Tahoe-Suburban.com > What Is Involved In Converting My Non-autoride 02 To Autoride?

Z71Tahoe-Suburban.com > Are These Autoride?

Those might help.

I will check these out but I dont have the Z55 autoride I have the ZW7 Premium Smooth Ride Suspension. Sounds like it could just be rear fancy shocks instead of all around. IDK

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info