jeep 4.0 rebuild

clint282cc

TCG Elite Member
Nov 4, 2011
looking for opinions. my jeep motor has always been the strongest 4.0 ive owned. (ive had about 23 jeeps). always ran PERFECT w/out a problem. never burnt oil and the oil always stayed perfectly clean. it was the only thing on my jeep i never had to worry about...

well after a few 300 degree over heats and replacing the head gasket, to find it was cracked on 2,3,and 4, i got a new head, replaced it and the jeep ran fine. seems like it has a bit less power (like low compression) and now ive aquired a lifter tick. finally today it started dropping to almost 0 oil pressure at idle.

ive had 4.2L rods and crank (with bearings) and ready to install, sitting in my garage for YEARS. all i need is a rebuild kit. now im pricing one out.

i never wanted to build a 4.7 stroker till i could build it 100% awesome with an aluminum head, forged pistons, custom cam, etc etc. and since ive been building the truck for years, the stock 4.0 always worked GREAT.... but now im in a pickle. trying to do this for cheap.

i could always get a junk yard motor (i have great luck with those, since i go through my buddys shop and they give us good deals) but for around the same price, it seems i could get a rebuild kit off ebay. what do you guys think???

Jeep Premium Master Engine Rebuild Kit 242 4 0 1996 98 | eBay

im finding out that my 96 has a different cam and pistons and makes the damn price shoot up. you can get a kit for a 95 and earlier for $400!!! wtf!

anyway, whats everyones opinion on this? figure i can have a stroker motor built and brand new for well under $1000. anyone have any experience with these kits? anyone know where i can get one cheaper?

Outlaw

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jul 24, 2009
Johnsburg
Replace the oil pump and call it a day. Get the OEM mopar high flow pump and never look back. My jeep has had a small lower end noise and lifter tick for YEARS and its never gotten worse. I also run half a bottle of Lucas in each oil change (My jeep can sit for a month or so between driving and it helps coat parts against dry start a ton, also quiets down the noise significantly). The Lucas with the 15-40 Rotella has never let me down. Just do the pump and keep going until it totally grenades. That's my advice.

clint282cc

TCG Elite Member
Nov 4, 2011
I plan on driving it till it grenades. I've ran jeep motors a few thousand miles with almost 0psi. I know its not ganna blow. And I know the classic jeep engine tick you are talking about. I've had a few, my buddy has one, and they never get worse. But in the matter of 20miles my jeep has went from running perfect to having a number of problems. Another reason I want to rebuild is because of the lack of power. It feels like the compression is lost. Motor sounds good but when I floor it, it just doesn't wanna go.

I beat the Fuck out of this thing. Only sees the trail and hits high rpms and revlimiter on a regular basis. there is not "taking it easy" to make it last. I'm just trying to figure out what I wanna do when I rebuild it.

I'm trying to see if you guys have experience with these eBay kits. They seem to be at a decent price and seem to have name brand stuff. Just trying to find out the cons of them.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info

• C
    Created
    Replies
    Views
  • Participants list