What I did the night before Thanksgiving: I love Craigslist edition

Mike K

TCG Elite Member
Apr 11, 2008
I'm old and long winded so this is going to be one of my typical posts. Cliffs: Mike got new wheels.

I had a bunch of reasons to replace the wheels on the BMW. For one, I wanted M5 wheels because they look awesome but there were a few other more logical reasons.

Woodfield Lexus "refinished" the wheels on the car and when I say "refinished" of course I mean they just painted the wheels, lug nuts, logo and all, while the wheels were on the car. Bang up job guys! Then there's the awful run-flat tires wrapped around those poorly finished wheels. The car sounded like all four wheel bearings were bad and god forbid a wheel bearing actually does go bad, you'd never hear it over the sound of the tires. But the biggest reason for ditching them was because they weren't staggered like the they were on the 550 and M5. They were just 245s all around which sucked for handling and sucked even worse for traction. The M5's/ M6's got stagger rims/ tires (255 up front, 285 out back).

So I'm rolling around this morning and I get a flat tire indicator but keep driving like a dope because, you know... run flat! So now I have to buy at least a tire but probably 2 if I don't want to look super ghetto. So before I take it anywhere I hop on Craigslist to see if anyone has M5 or M6 wheels and tires. And hot diggity, what should I find but a set of NEW M6 wheels with Continental Sport Contact ZR tires on them. 1000 miles on it all. He's asking $1000 and I push my luck to see if he would do $700 if I bought them tonight. He bites and I get the deal of the century. $1200 worth of tires, $1500 worth of rims and tire sensors (on a bad day), all for $700. So I cross my fingers and hope that they're balanced and straight and my luck continues. They're perfect plus the car is quiet again plus I can punch it in 2nd gear without lighting up the tires. Yay for me. And the obligatory night time, dirty car pic:

m6wheels.jpg

Mike K

TCG Elite Member
Apr 11, 2008
Cleaned up a bit... Also, have I mentioned I love this car? Other than being fast and excelling in driving awesomeness, it's just so bad ass. I walked out of Target today and some dude in a 3 series had pulled over and was walking around it, checking out the wheels and trying to figure out what the car was. I haven't had that kind of awesomeness since the M5. Now sure, some might say the wheels were probably stolen from him and he was trying to identify them but I prefer to think that he just thought my family sedan was that badass.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1353712023.861749.jpg

Mike K

TCG Elite Member
Apr 11, 2008
Looks nice, I've always kinda been a fan of those wheels. Car needs some tints tho.

you driving this for winter too, or you still have another ride?

Nah, I work from home and don't drive a lot and my wife stays at home and doesn't drive a lot either so on snowy days I'll take out the XC90 but I'll drive this through the winter. And yes, it needs tints like now.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info