Tough decision, opinions needed

R53 DeceptiCoop

No Dick Team Octane?
Apr 9, 2012
Wheaton, IL
Has anyone filed a Mechanic's Lien on this site? I've been (regretfully) looking into filing a claim on a car that my "friend" asked me to work on, but I'm not quite at that point yet, so I thought I'd get a forum opinion. Here's the background:
We took his car in on 9/5/12, but didn't work on it until 9/7/12 because I was waiting on parts. The vehicle was finished on 9/9/12. We took it in and did the repairs labor-free as a favor. We paid for all the parts on our own up front, roughly $650. He stated that he did not have the full amount to pay for the repairs, I told him to pay for the differential, as it was purchased by credit card, and he could pay me the rest in the next paycheck or two. He did give me additional money, and the final payment should have been in the amount of $350 on 10/26/12. He only gave me 100 on that date, basically said "shit came up", which is understandable, but have not received anything since. Here's the kicker though- the car was being stored at my house, under the premise that it was only supposed to be for a week or two, and I told him from the go that he needed to figure out a storage situation because I didn't have room for his car, and I've since had to relocate other vehicles to house his. He's been giving me the run around for the past 2 months, and he is making no further indication of intending to pay me or to pay to have it stored. On one hand, I just want to dump it at his house and let it go, but I know he won't pay me what's left; I'm wondering if that's just the penalty I have to pay for doing favors for "friends". On the other hand, I sort of want to just pay out of pocket to have it stored short term, but I have a feeling I'll end up eating that cost as well. Or should I just say fuck it and file a mechanic's lien? Not sure, suggestions welcomed.

R53 DeceptiCoop

No Dick Team Octane?
Apr 9, 2012
Wheaton, IL
Before he blew the dif, he was overboosting at 22+lbs on a stock turbo with no supporting mods other than a front mount intercooler. It had already developed a pretty nasty boost shudder/fuel cut-off by the time he grounded it for good. When I took the car into my care, it had not been driven in 5 years, had fouled gas that was not winterized, was out of oil, was never started, nothing. Our plan of action was fix the dif to make it mobile, then fix or replace the engine depending on the extent. It's got a pretty nasty knock now, and I KNOW if I have to keep moving it around, it's going to throw a rod or something. I don't want that finger being pointed at me either, but I have to keep moving the damn thing because he can't get his shit straight. I think this whole thing has just been a nightmare situation. I'm thinking- roll it down my cul de sac, the fact the it's registered as inoperable, and has a plate sticker that expired in '07...Wheaton should make quick work of it.

R53 DeceptiCoop

No Dick Team Octane?
Apr 9, 2012
Wheaton, IL
Did you have any kind of written contract with this guy? Also was this done at a legitimate business?

Some of the work was done at my bf's shop, but the rest was done by us. The mechanics lien DOES allow for independent or "shadetree" mechanics to claim lien, and IL law states that a written contract is not needed, and that a verbal agreement is honorable provided that we can show some proof that work was being done, I kept all of the work orders and parts receipts, as well as electronic correspondence between myself and this guy.

greasy

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jun 25, 2007
It is pretty shitty that someone who calls themselves a friend is taking advantage of your good will. I would be stern about getting his stuff paid for with a very strict deadline. If he does not pay by then remove the stuff you put on the car, push their shit out onto the street just as it came to you, and let the car be towed. If he or she calls asking about it tell them that it is out of your hands and no longer an issue to you. Write off whatever time/money you have invested in this situation and be done with this so called friend.

Smokinhot

3-man rules!!!!
Jul 4, 2007
Lansing, IL
Real Name
IM me if you wanna know more ;)
It is pretty shitty that someone who calls themselves a friend is taking advantage of your good will. I would be stern about getting his stuff paid for with a very strict deadline. If he does not pay by then remove the stuff you put on the car, push their shit out onto the street just as it came to you, and let the car be towed. If he or she calls asking about it tell them that it is out of your hands and no longer an issue to you. Write off whatever time/money you have invested in this situation and be done with this so called friend.

:werd:

I like the idea of hitting every red light camera in your area in one day, then leaving the car in a tow lot and dropping the keys in his mailbox.

Don't forget to wipe the car down for prints.

And a ski mask, just to be safe lol

R53 DeceptiCoop

No Dick Team Octane?
Apr 9, 2012
Wheaton, IL
I think I'm going to tell him to come get it, keep his money, just get it the fuck out. He told me that he was good for the money, and then just dragged this the fuck out. I agreed to fix his car, not fix it at my expense and store it all winter. I really wanted to do him a solid, but this is causing me way more stress than it would have been worth even if he was paid in full AND paid labor.

Boosh, yes you know him. Wanna rent him some driveway space?

Flyn

Go ahead. I'll catch up.
TCG Premium
Mar 1, 2004
Selling homes on the Gulf Coast of Florida
Tell him you need the room and his car's going out on the street unless he picks it up. Once he agrees to pick it up, remind him of what he owes and tell him to bring it when he picks the car up. Getting him to agree to the pick up will psychologically put pressure on him to agree to the bill paying. This may be enough to get him to agree.

If he doesn't agree to both points, tell him if he does not pick the car up by whatever date in the near future that you designate, you will put the car on the street, file a lien for the bill and the city will be calling him with another bill for towing and storage. He'll cave.

RICH17

Dr. Pussy Slayer, MD
TCG Premium
Nov 14, 2008
The 007
Real Name
Adam Rich
Tell him you need the room and his car's going out on the street unless he picks it up. Once he agrees to pick it up, remind him of what he owes and tell him to bring it when he picks the car up. Getting him to agree to the pick up will psychologically put pressure on him to agree to the bill paying. This may be enough to get him to agree.

If he doesn't agree to both points, tell him if he does not pick the car up by whatever date in the near future that you designate, you will put the car on the street, file a lien for the bill and the city will be calling him with another bill for towing and storage. He'll cave.

This

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info