Turbo Pitbike hell yes

ajdereicup

Measly little 4.6 2v in a boat
Oct 30, 2012
Lombard
Made a little progress on my turbo pitbike build yesterday because the weather was so nice

Moved these 2 electrical things out of the way so I have room for the turbo and installed a oil cooler/filter combo

photo11101706.jpg

photo11101707.jpg

photo11101707_1.jpg

And then went out in the dark and got the bike running and put the exhaust intake up to the muffler of the bike and it spun it nicely. I'm not sure what the neighbors thought me outside revving a pitbike thats backfiring like no other laughing my ass off. But to those people that told me a pitbike could never spin a turbo kiss my hairy ass:fy:

ajdereicup

Oct 30, 2012
Lombard
Lol its a brand spanking new SSR 110cc pitbike I bought for $700 total (that includes the price of a bigger sprocket magnetic drain plug (because I wasn't decided on putting an oil filter on it at the time) and a little taller handlebars. Haven't even ridden it enough to stretch the chain out to be able to fit the bigger sprocket on it yet its that new but its dirty from me riding it in a dirt lot in the rain after I first "assembled" it.

Turbo is a brand new unit from a TDI I picked up off a buddy for $250 and looks to be the perfect size and as I found out last night it most likely is because the exhaust was spinning it.

Hopefully all goes well and I don't blow the engine or make it go out of control seeing as this is the first time I've played with a turbo really so its all learning for me while making hopefully a kick ass ride to tear it up in the pits at the track with.

Burtonrider10022

TCG Elite Member
Feb 25, 2008
Milwaukee, WI
Real Name
Yes
Lol its a brand spanking new SSR 110cc pitbike I bought for $700 total (that includes the price of a bigger sprocket magnetic drain plug (because I wasn't decided on putting an oil filter on it at the time) and a little taller handlebars. Haven't even ridden it enough to stretch the chain out to be able to fit the bigger sprocket on it yet its that new but its dirty from me riding it in a dirt lot in the rain after I first "assembled" it.

Turbo is a brand new unit from a TDI I picked up off a buddy for $250 and looks to be the perfect size and as I found out last night it most likely is because the exhaust was spinning it.

Hopefully all goes well and I don't blow the engine or make it go out of control seeing as this is the first time I've played with a turbo really so its all learning for me while making hopefully a kick ass ride to tear it up in the pits at the track with.

:eek3: Can your buddy get more of those?

Epic bike, BTW. Next time you're running it take a video and toss it up.

ajdereicup

Oct 30, 2012
Lombard
Lol I can ask but he only had this one that he had sitting around for a few years. He was going to put it on a gokart and then sold the gokart

I have a couple vids of me riding the bike when I first got it just a lap or 2 around work but my computers a POS and wont let me combine the vids without the vid software crashing or not being able to save it.

Now I just got to get some fittings for the oil lines, mount the turbo, get the exhaust tube cut and bent right get the carb situated so it can be a draw through and connect all the hoses together. Oh and find a blow off valve and figure out how to get rid of the wastegate

ajdereicup

Oct 30, 2012
Lombard
This things flying now that I'm dedicating time to making it. Drained the oil on it and got the plate on the engine to allow the oil to pump out into the turbo>oil cooler/filter>back to the engine after finding out it uses a rare thread style 10mm x 1.25mm so noone makes any aluminum fittings for it or anything but a stop to my favorite same day race parts store and talking to him for about half an hour we figured out a banjo bolt setup should work because they make it in that asinine thread style.

And today got the "intake manifold" taken off and cut into 2 so I can use radiator hose to connect the outlet from the carb to the inlet on the cool side of the turbo and the outlet side of the turbo to the inlet on the head of the bike.

photo11131909_1.jpg

photo11122119.jpg

photo11131831.jpg

photo11131909.jpg

ajdereicup

Oct 30, 2012
Lombard
The turbo has landed boys. It fits perfect but for the time being is just mocked up. Going to have to heat shield some of the plastic it seems but that'll be easy. And need to cut another piece of steel to make another bracket to hold the turbo in place better. I only have one holding it currently so it sags down slowly so I need another to kind of cradle it.

photo11141811.jpg

photo11141813.jpg

photo11141813_1.jpg

^^^View from the back left side of the bike of the turbo tucked into the bike fitting perfectly

photo11141814.jpg

^^^Yes thats some kind of door hinge type thing with the 2 holes drilled out larger to fit the bolts. Almost took out a finger or 2 drilling them out but it works. Ghetto rigging ftmfw

photo11141838.jpg

^^^The radiator hose I picked up today from my buddies at ORiellys. The one end is just big enough to fit over the intake on the coolside of the turbo and I'm going to cut it to the right length and the other end will slide over the half of the "intake manifold" I cut coming off the carb. Then with the rest of the tube it's perfect to cut to a correct length to connect the outlet of the cool side of the turbo to the other half of the "intake manifold" thats bolted to the head of the engine.

Possible plans for tomorrow are cutting the other mount for the turbo and then getting started cutting the steel to make the exhaust flange to bolt to the turbo. Was going to do both but working with a hacksaw on 1/4th inch thick steel wears a man out quick especially when the blades shot. Hopefully get my hands on a grinder tomorrow to make it a lot quicker and easier on myself.

And the fittings for the oil lines off the engine have been ordered. Should be in Friday around lunch so hopefully I have time to run over and pick them up

ajdereicup

Oct 30, 2012
Lombard
photo11171234_1.jpg

^^^Got the fittings today from my buddy at A+ Distributing in Villa Park. Tim really knows his stuff (ignore that beast in the background its another fun toy/project of mine)

photo11171624.jpg

^^^Got another turbo mount on

photo11171635.jpg

^^^Got the return oil line from the oil cooler/filter plumbed back to the engine

photo11171803.jpg

^^^What happens when you decide you don't need to use a vise to hold a piece of metal your drilling and the drill bit catches it. Fucked up fingers that hurt like no other and bleed all over putting a halt to any further progress tonight

ajdereicup

Oct 30, 2012
Lombard
Now that works slowing down finally from the black Friday sales getting back to the bike. Today ran out and ordered some more oil line fittings and picked up a cheapy vise and cheapy tap and die set for the project. Also picked up a boost gauge I had sitting around at my work area and got a gauge holder for it on the way home. Then the work began. Drilled out the holes for the oil plate to bolt onto the turbo (drilled the one side 2 times because I was off with the first one) and then started working on the exhaust turbo flange but screwed it up so need to retry on a new piece of steel probably which sucks. And got the boost gauge mounted to the handlebars and added a 9v battery hidden in the pad and a switch to turn the light on the gauge on or off. Also hid the wiring in the pad for the most part too to make it look a little less ghetto rigged. The gauge is a $20 Harbor Freight one so I'm guessing it won't be 100% accurate but I don't mind.

photo12041457.jpg

^^^First fitting of the gauge on the handlebars before I wired up the electric

photo12041851.jpg

^^^Wired up and lit up. The button changes the color from the LED. The switch is kinda hard to see but its at the tip of my thumb which for some reason is green under the nail after the last mishap with the bike

photo12041851_1.jpg

^^^I cut the power cord from the gauge shorter and cut a little hole in the pad cover to slide it in

The fittings should be in Thursday

ajdereicup

Oct 30, 2012
Lombard
I know they sell a little bigger carbs for the bikes but I'm hoping I'm not going to have to go to that and can just put bigger jets in it. Going to need to get a wideband and o2 sensor for tuning it but probably won't keep that gauge on the bike. Its crowded as it is with what I'm doing and I've been throwing around the idea in my head of a homebrew meth injection kit on it too later.

I was thinking of letting a shop that works on motorcycles take a swing at tuning it but then realized they may not know what they're doing with turbos (not that I really do myself this is kinda to teach myself how to turbo) and blow it up quicker then I want. And then I thought of a car shop doing it but they may not want to deal with it or charge me tons of money when this is supposed to be a low buck fun toy thats unique. So I figured tuning it myself. Never successfully tuned a vehicle before alone so this should be a treat.

RICH17

Dr. Pussy Slayer, MD
TCG Premium
Nov 14, 2008
The 007
Real Name
Adam Rich
Lol just found a page on the site full of pitbike parts with jets. Now hopefully my carbs one of the ones listed.

Who needs a dyno except to get exact numbers? This isn't that high dollar of a production. This is ghetto engineering right here

You able to ride this thing and do some testing. Looking at the gauges. And watching where you're going. all while riding it on the street...:rofl:

ajdereicup

Oct 30, 2012
Lombard
Lol I will most likely try it. It wouldn't be the first time trying to do something not the easiest way. May just jack it up and put a small roller under the back tire just to pretend I'm fancy and dyno tuning:) Knobbys may be a problem with that though... The roller may or may not be a tree branch:)

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info