Running a snorkle

willsmysticcobra

Classifieds Mod
Mar 3, 2006
Algonquin
I can't really tell if its a worthwhile mod or just a poser look on jeeps. A guy on the jeep forum sells these for $120 shipped, but I really try to avoid headlight deep water, because it always fries alternators etc.......

I am running the K&n full intake system now which isnt the best for dusty or dirty conditions, but I can really appreciate the slight power and MPG gain I get over my drop in k&n in the stock sealed air box.

What do you guys think? I wheel the jeep a good amount but stay away from deep water for obvious reasons.

Burtonrider10022

TCG Elite Member
Feb 25, 2008
Milwaukee, WI
Real Name
Yes
If there is ever a chance that you might need it I'd say $120 is worth it. You're on a trail, it's getting dark, and some newb in daddys wrangler is hopelessly stuck in a mud pit which is the only way out of the woods. The blizzard is rolling in and you will certainly die out there, BUT WAIT! you can sacrifice your alternator and go through that creek over there to save you and your family!

i.e. Why not. Unless it's a substantial difference between K&N and snorkel it will just give you the ability to go deep water if you ever need it. :dunno: I'd rather have it and not need it, than need it and not have it.

willsmysticcobra

Classifieds Mod
Mar 3, 2006
Algonquin
Ya I mean I can sell the k&n set up for nearly the same price as the new snorkle kit.... The only sight hassle is I need to re locate my washer solvent bottle. But it does look kinda cool :

A2C07278F7204BA427203FE30A855573.jpg

nemesis

Addict
Aug 28, 2007
chitown
you should do the pvc pipe like some of them guys. i heard it's pretty effective. you don't need to relocate your washer bottle. look at smeltmaster and x91j both of them guys have a 97 xj and they didn't relocate the washer bottle, they drilled on the stock air box and run pvc pipe and connect to the snorkle. i want to put snorkle on mine too, but i have the stupid ABS system in the way. i don't really have room under the hood.

clint282cc

TCG Elite Member
Nov 4, 2011
How do the snorkels not suck in water when it rains? I've always wondered that? If you don't go through deep water I wouldn't do it.

a few rain drops wont cause the motor to hydrolock. these snorkels also go through the stock airbox. so the airfilter will catch the water drops.

$120 is a killer deal... but i wouldnt buy it. i hate seeing all these jeeps with lights, winches, bumpers, snorkels, spare tire carriers, roof racks and body armor when the jeep is 90% driven on the road. my jeep is STOCK with 8" lift and a welded rearend and i have just as much fun as anyone else out wheelin if not more.

i run a stock airbox because when i do drop into water it is more protective than the k&n. if youve been running the k&n and havent sucked any water yet, i wouldnt buy a snorkel.

if YOU DO NEED a snorkel, make your own pvc snorkel. bypass the airbox. to me it looks cooler and performs better. a snorkel will hurt mpg and hp. even a airboxless pvc snorkel flows less than a stock airbox.

you own a jeep, and you are scared to go into water because it eats alternators??? come on dude... go buy a blazer haha. go to napa and get a lifetime warranty alternator. i sink my shit all the time and SURE i go through alternators, but its less than once a year. they are always covered under warranty.

i just should stay out of jeep threads. ive delt with JU for too many years of these noobs and what i call "pro" wheelers haha. people dont like my opinon on jeeps.

take a listen, my buddies jeep with a pvc snorkel. no airbox gives it an AWESOME sound. especially off the revlimiter.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5hmKOBI4Cfs&list=UUY-j5XLvljD8s3WWmw5HCuA&index=39&feature=plcp

and another with 2 pvc snorkel jeeps.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4FSFjVS40uE&list=UUY-j5XLvljD8s3WWmw5HCuA&index=40&feature=plcp

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info