How many people know about the problems with DEX-COOL?

DOC-Z

Chickun maka LOUSY housspaat!
Oct 13, 2008
Johnsburg, IL.
Real Name
-Larry
I'm asking because I am still flushing out my cooling system after finding I had no heat about 6 weeks ago. Apparently, DEX-COOL degrades after about 5 years or 100,000 miles.

In order to NOT void your auto warranty, I read it should be flushed and changed after 2 years of use. Otherwise, you run the risk of having the Organic Acid Technology ( also known as "O.A.T.") separate out of the fluid and solidify. If you have any sort of air gap, the steam will degrade the fluid and you'll get this muddy, puree'd coffee ground-like $#!T in your cooling system...and it's a barrel of laughs to clean up!

Here's my thread in the 3800 section:
http://www.thechicagogarage.com/for...oolant-no-heat-c-feels-like-its-all-time.html

Turbocharged400sbc

3800 & 4T80E > ALL
TCG Premium
Jun 16, 2007
hangover park IL
Thats why GM tells you its only good for 5 years or 100,000 miles.....

Dex cool is all I run and I have never had an issue.

that shits no good after 20k

seriously the organic acid coolant should get outta there. it attacks the Orings and plastic parts not to mention aluminum/steel where its stagnant.

ive done plastic lim gaskets on cars with green coolant and its amazing how nice the gaskets look when dex is not reinstalled.

use the propelyne glycol stuff if ya wanna just drain and fill but seriously get rid of the dex.

they didnt run through years of class action lawsuit for nuthin

Stink Star

Don’t Drive Angry!
TCG Premium
Jan 20, 2008
Big wood cock
Ummmm we definetly wouldn't void your warranty if you didn't flush your coolant every 20k. In fact, the GM regional managers just had a big meeting in tinley park about GM cars under warranty, basically we are not allowed to sell any flushes or "maintnence" to any vehicle under warranty. Apparently GM is proud that they received the title of lowest cost of ownership and not having to pay for maintnence is a huge part of that

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info