Small vibration issue - 05 Ram 1500

Dasfinc

Ready for the EVlution
Sep 28, 2007
Wheaton, IL
No peanut gallery, bought the truck with the issue, just been too lazy to tackle it.

05 Ram quad cab, 4X4, 5.7-Hemi, 'Big Horn' (20 inch rims, chrome bits, tow package, etc)

minor vibration at about 40+, doesn't really get any worse come 70-80mph, Slightly more noticeable under harder throttle.

screams U-joint to me, anything else anyone can think of off hand to check while I'm under there?

Truck has new tires, rebalanced, and fresh alignment prior to me getting it (Already had new tires, but I made the dealer re-balance and align it before accepting it)

Truck has rebuilt engine (sub 500 miles on the rebuild), but I'd imagine if that is causing the vibration it would be far worse, and would be RPM dependent. Any possibility for something like the Tq converter to be loose or a missing bolt etc to cause a MINOR vibration?

Steering/brakes/etc are all tight as a drum.

Turbocharged400sbc

3800 & 4T80E > ALL
TCG Premium
Jun 16, 2007
hangover park IL
unfortunatly that a very common complaint on the newer 4x4 dodges, stock, with leveling kits, you name it. ive heard of guys going through and replacing all sorts of stuff, U joints, driveshaft rebalance, new one's, new tires, etc etc. some with success, some without.

check it all through and make sure the U joints are phased right and the angles are nearly equal at both ends, check the sway bar links and front panhard.

then go ahead and live with it or convert to 2wd

Dasfinc

Ready for the EVlution
Sep 28, 2007
Wheaton, IL
unfortunatly that a very common complaint on the newer 4x4 dodges, stock, with leveling kits, you name it. ive heard of guys going through and replacing all sorts of stuff, U joints, driveshaft rebalance, new one's, new tires, etc etc. some with success, some without.

check it all through and make sure the U joints are phased right and the angles are nearly equal at both ends, check the sway bar links and front panhard.

then go ahead and live with it or convert to 2wd

What do you mean Phased right?

And I'll take a look at the swaybar links and front panhard, thanks for the heads up.

I can live with it, I test drove a pair of 2wd ones prior to getting a 4X4, and they inherently were much smoother. I also test drove an 09 4X4 which was very smooth as well (the newest generation prior to whats coming out right now), but I just suspect since this one had its motor out that something minor that should have been replaced wasn't out of cost savings (ala U-joint hopefully).

Any input on leveling kits? Does it trash the ride even more?

Dasfinc

Ready for the EVlution
Sep 28, 2007
Wheaton, IL
Ok, so I finally had a chance to look into this, and it may be worse than I thought unfortunatly....

U-joints are all solid, as are the wheels, but the front driveshaft is a two-piece.

There is a foot or two long shaft off the front diff, that goes into a closed-knuckle piece that is another foot or two long and goes to the Diff. Where that piece goes into the diff it has a spec of play (which I suspect is the origin of my vibration).

Does this mean the Xfer case itself has the play and I'm basically fucked (have to pull whole thing and have it repaired), or is there something else at work here?

(The Spline end goes into the diff, the knuckle end goes to the other piece that then attaches to the front diff)
main.JPG

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info